Are Mom and Pop smoking pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Mom and Pop smoking pot?

This Washingon Post [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111503007.html] article presents an interesting trend. According to the article:
    The government's most recent survey showed that the share of marijuana users ages 50 to 59 increased from 5.1 percent in 2002 to almost 10 percent in 2007.
    Some of those users are empty-nesters, returning to the drug decades after their pot habits gave way to raising children and building careers. Others, like Lee, have kept using pot all along, researchers said.
    But some older marijuana users say they are living evidence that smoking pot does not preclude a normal life, and more older smokers seem more comfortable than at any point since their teen years with going public -- a tribute, they say, to a big boost in public tolerance of marijuana use.
    Although young users generally go to some lengths to keep their pot use under wraps, those of a certain age -- especially those not in danger of being kicked out of school or subjected to workplace drug tests -- seem more likely to talk about their usage.

So are YOUR Mom and Pop enjoying their leisure years by including pakalolo use?

Is this a case of more older adults taking up smoking pot, or a case of them having smoked all along but now being more willing to admit it?

Will this increase in “usage” (or the admission of use) help result in legalization, or be considered a threat and bring about more restrictions (such as a reduction for medicinal reasons).

What do you think of the increase in statistics of adult users?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Pot - The Gateway Drug...

To what, arthritis medicine?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Are Mom and Pop smoking pot?

During routine discussions with patients, I definitely have seen an increase in marijuana use (as well as other illegal substances) in older adults. Of course it could be that I am in Hawaii and no longer on the east coast. Amati, I believe you are correct in pointing out the reasons they are returning to the ways of their youth.

(There are other things they are returning to as well, like the free love idea....as evidenced by statistics that show increasing STDs in the older population.)

Comment

In 1974 I was 16 and just graduated from high school. My mom really wanted to try pot so I got some and rolled one up for her. She smoked about half
        of it and the effect was she kept letting the dog in and out of the house forgetting that she did. The poor dog was so confused!

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          What do you think of the increase in statistics of adult users?
          Kool! You mean Zig Zag Man is enjoying a resurgence? I'll have to dust off my recording of Puff the Magic Dragon. I still have my tie-dye shirt.

No, matapule has gone straight - monogomous and clean. Matapule wants to enjoy his last days with a clear mind. Wacky tabacky is a jihadist plot to destroy America's greatest intellectual resource, the elderly.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The spiel about MJ being a "dangerous drug" holds as much water as "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq.

MJ does, however, impair memory, increase paranoia, impair driving, and indirectly causes weight gain (munchies). It also helps reduce chronic pain, reduces the incidence of violence (as opposed to alcohol intox), and opens minds to government deception.

Another inexcusable victimless crime.

Who is behind the unfair demonization of pot?

And yes, people in their 80's and 90's ARE toking, I can attest, as well those others of us 'over 50.'

I'd rather the kids in Hawaii nei smoked pot than the other things they are doing!

K
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I completely agree, Kaonohi. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago, they were showing these PSA's about how dangerous weed was, basically implying if you smoked up, you'd commit a violent crime. Really? I don't smoke, but have no problem with those who do. The biggest crime I ever saw anyone guilty of under the influence was hogging the snack foods.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Re: Are Mom and Pop smoking pot? (yes)

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                I completely agree, Kaonohi. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago, they were showing these PSA's about how dangerous weed was, basically implying if you smoked up, you'd commit a violent crime. Really? I don't smoke, but have no problem with those who do. The biggest crime I ever saw anyone guilty of under the influence was hogging the snack foods.
                OMG! Those EVIL, NO GOOD snackfoodhoarders!

Where are we to turn when we have the 'munchies?'

Planter's peanuts,
                cheetos,
                CHIPS!
                Root Beer!

Violent crime like what? Shaking down a 7-11 for crunchyu-munchies?

And the Feds wonder why we doubt their word!

"Fool me once,shame on you;
                Fool me twice,shame on ME!"
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Mary jane leads to other things, mainly junk food. After livning in Holland for a year, it really softened my view on this type of thing.

To each their own, don't bother me, whyzit botha you?

It aint crack.

And if it can afford a better quality of life to someone, who are we to deny it, let alone the gov't.

grow it, tax it, put farmers back to work, profit. Cash Crop, bottom line.
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

My Dad told me he used to smoke it in the early 40's. Wish he'd kept on doing it.

I have a young neighbor who lights up just under my bedroom window, lucky fellow. Breathe deep and try not to be too envious.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      The government's most recent survey showed that the share of marijuana users ages 50 to 59 increased from 5.1 percent in 2002 to almost 10 percent in 2007.
                      So here is a topic to bring up around the Thanksgiving table, especially if you have an 50-59 year old friends, parents, or others enjoying the meal with you.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                        The biggest crime I ever saw anyone guilty of under the influence was hogging the snack foods.
                        When I was coming of age, the correct terminology for Hogging was Bogarting. As in "Hey, don't Bogart those chips man."

Comment

I've been waiting for someone else to do it, but since nobody has:

When I woke up, Mom and Dad are rolling on the couch
                          Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out

Mommy's all right, Daddy's all right; they just seem a little weird
                          Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away...

Surely I'm not the only one whose head this popped into upon first reading the title of the thread!
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            I've been waiting for someone else to do it, but since nobody has:

When I woke up, Mom and Dad are rolling on the couch
                            Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out

Mommy's all right, Daddy's all right; they just seem a little weird
                            Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away...

Surely I'm not the only one whose head this popped into upon first reading the title of the thread!
                            Maybe it's because I was never a big Cheap Trick fan. But the first song about parents and pot that comes to my mind is Smoke Two Joints.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I guess I'm old school cuz my momma don't dance and my daddy don't rock and roll

But in our household, "Momma's got a squeeze box and Daddy didn't sleep at all
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X