Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving 2009: What are you doing this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving 2009: What are you doing this year?

It's that time again! Don't forget to buy your turkey soon, so it has time to thaw in the refridgerator.

This year we are doing a big 5 family gathering, at one of the people's house that has a big enclosed lanai that can accomodate the crowd. I'm thinking of also doing something the eve before for neighbors and friends who don't have family here. I'll cook a turkey for the neighborhood meal, and take something like a homemade pies to the family dinner.

What are you doing this year?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Thanksgiving 2008

We've been invited to join another ohana celebration, and I will be sending Granny's Cheesecake (if I can keep this ohana out of it until then.)

I will be working that day, and we will be doing potluck. I am bringing the dressing (cornbread and regular) and have decided to introduce the ED staff to pineapple casserole!

I get to be thankful with my coworkers and then with family and friends after work. I'm glad I'm off the next day! No shopping for me. More bargains for others.

Comment

I'm making short ribs and going across the street to eat with neighbors
      who are making their famous 8 hour roast on the grill and assorted sides.
      We have had Thanksgiving many times with them since we moved into
      the neighborhood. We'll listen to lots of Johnny Cash and Billy Holiday and
      other classics and be thankful for each other and our families near and far.

Comment

My film ohana is getting together. My contribution is 2 pumpkin pies...and wine! Great group of people. Lotsa fun.

Comment

This year, I get to host my very own Britney Spears-esque Thanksgiving, complete with bottle blondes, restraining orders, two dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks teenagers (with a baby), and serious food allergies! Yay! (Please note that NONE of these participants are members of either of our families and are friends of Jason's friends.) Ugh. I must really love my husband.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I just noticed that U-Choice In at Don Quijote Kaheka painted a Happy Thanksgiving message on one of their windows. In slightly smaller type there was an additional message: Free lunch on Thanksgiving Day from 11 am-1 pm. Since it's a Chinese restaurant, I don't think they'll have turkey, but still ...

Nice thought! Nice gesture!

Comment

Re: Thanksgiving 2009: What are you doing this year?

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              What are you doing this year?
              More than likey eating out on Thanksgiving, as to where and when that would depend on various factors.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                This year, I get to host my very own Britney Spears-esque Thanksgiving, complete with bottle blondes, restraining orders, two dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks teenagers (with a baby), and serious food allergies! Yay! (Please note that NONE of these participants are members of either of our families and are friends of Jason's friends.) Ugh. I must really love my husband.
                lolllll; LOVE IT!!!! *waves at surlygirly* hi cupcake

had plans to join mommy dearest up north for thanksgiving; changed plans this morning...cancelled it; really not up to dealing with travelers and busy aiports....so i am going to have a nice quiet thanksgiving at home, have me a tuna samwich and catch up on my reading

aunty lynn you behaving yourself??

have a pleasant and safe thanksgiving HT ohana
                stay forever young

Comment

First Thanksgiving without my dad. It'll be a somber day for the Watanabe Family.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Im really sorry, Craig. Condolences and well wishes.

Waikiki tday for me. Have friend with family in town from LA, and this year I'm making vegetarian sheperds pie with okinawa mashed potatoes on top, and traditional-style green bean casserole.
                    And it will be yum.
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      First Thanksgiving without my dad. It'll be a somber day for the Watanabe Family.
                      Trust me when I say, you'll pull through it.

Do what I do, leave some turkey dinner and beer at dad's grave site.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                        aunty lynn you behaving yourself??
                        I'm always misbehaving.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanksgiving is at Waipahuuuuuu again.

Tradition.

All are back from Iraq.

Conrad graduated from Drill Sergeant School in Georgia yesterday.

Christy, Justin H. and Justin D. are back from Iraq.

I am thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          A new year began for you and your family the end of August, Craig. And the ensuing 12 months will be full of firsts...none of which a family looks forward to. Once you get thru that year full of firsts, the 2nd year will be easier, etc., etc. Well, that was my family's experience after my dad passed.

The Nov. after he passed, I went to a build-a-bear type store and assembled 6 of the softest, cutest bears I could find. Once they were "filled" I added some memorabilia of my dad. My brother and each of my dad's grandkids received one prior to the start of the holidays...and I kept one. We all admitted to each other that there were nights we missed my dad so much we actually slept with our teddy bears! My bear holds the fort down when I'm not at Makaha. He has a place of honor on the sofa where he can watch the surf...just like my dad used to do.

It get's easier, Craig. Time is the greatest healer and tears cleanse the soul. I like Random's tradition!

Comment

Auntie Lynn -- congratulations on everyone being home safely from Iraq! You must be so proud! And as always, good luck with the Slippah Project.
                            Craig -- my condolences. Been there. Listen to TutuSue's good advice.
                            As for my Thanksgiving, it'll be a double whammy (of the good kind). Turkey feast tonight with a whole bunch of musician friends farther up the windward coast, then another feast tomorrow with a bunch of friends here in Kaneohe.
                            I'm gonna take a lot of empty Tupperware containers to both.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Celebrating at my sister's home. My family is in charge of 3 appetizers and salad. The wifey and I plan to make some pigs-in-a-blanket, spinach dip, deviled eggs, and an Italian chopped salad. I think my sister is anticipating close to 50 people. I am thankful for my health, family, friends, my almighty Akua, and the Aloha around me. Blessings to All - Happy Thanksgiving. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X