Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blues of the fisherman

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    So in your mind, I'm more responsible for the Honolulu Police Department website content than the police chief who just departed a couple of days ago?

And you base your judgement on the mere fact that I simply started a thread on this forum,.... nevermind that all the local TV stations and the two dailies reporting this very same website did so prior to my posting?

Fascinating.
    That's taking things a bit out of context, FM. I guess what was on my mind was over your head.

It's pretty obvious I was not blaming you.

If you're trying to bait me into an argument, I'm not biting.

Last edited by Kaonohi; November 27, 2009, 01:47 PM.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: HPD's online DUI pics

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      I guess my question would be "why?" I don't see why people (as suggested: "relative, friend, neighbor, workmate") would be interested in seeing this?[...]
      I think the fear of public humiliation is of more interest to people who drink and drive than the web site which most people (I think) won't bother checking after a time or 2...once the newness wears off. This site was a topic of conversation at a party last night. The fear of humiliation greatly outweighed the potential of drinking and driving causing an accident...or worse. The group I was speaking with, none of which are heavy drinkers at all, felt they had complete control over their driving so did not fear an accident. OTOH...being publicly outed for having a couple of drinks was very disconcerting. I'll admit it affected my drinking last night. While I never have more than 2 glasses of wine during the course of an evening, I made sure all imbibing was pau by 7p. And I didn't leave the party 'til after 10p.

When Hawaii started it's sex offender web site I logged on strictly out of curiosity knowing my interest would wane within 15 minutes! I was curious whether any offenders lived in my Makaha condo building. Then I saw 2 men who were in my casting files (no, they didn't live in my building!). That site took on a whole new meaning for me. I still use it.

Curiosity just got the best of me so I checked my Makaha building. FOUR registered sex offenders live there!

Comment

Then again, I don't give a rip about so-called "reality' television, either; it only encourages fools like the Heenes and the Salahis, whose actions have been relatively harmless, compared to what is still likely to come.
        The Heenes were given probation back on Nov. 12, which basically ended the Balloon Boy thread. It's 15 days later. Why bring them up now? Heed the words of a wise man.

nearly two weeks of silence, signifying the death of the horse, but someone is bound to come out and flog it further.
        Yeah, you tell 'em, Leo! Someone is bound to give those discredited hoaxers more attention long after the story has been wrapped up. Someone like.... oh, uh, err!!!

Heh, just kidding, Leo. Hope you can also take some good natured ribbin', as I have from you in the past.

Here are a couple of editorial viewpoints on the matter.

Honolulu Advertiser

Star Bulletin's Cynthia Oi
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          When Hawaii started it's sex offender web site I logged on strictly out of curiosity knowing my interest would wane within 15 minutes! I was curious whether any offenders lived in my Makaha condo building. Then I saw 2 men who were in my casting files (no, they didn't live in my building!). That site took on a whole new meaning for me. I still use it.

Curiosity just got the best of me so I checked my Makaha building. FOUR registered sex offenders live there!
          That makes more sense - to list convicted offenders, not accused. That was my original point.

Interesting, although the http://www.honolulupd.org/traffic/OahuDrunkDrivers/ icon is still on the HPD web page, it connects to a page with only an explanation of the law, some statistics, and a photo of a wrecked car.

I wonder what happened?

All of Frankie's links connect to a "404 Page not Found" error message.

K
          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            [...]
            Interesting, although the http://www.honolulupd.org/traffic/OahuDrunkDrivers/ icon is still on the HPD web page, it connects to a page with only an explanation of the law, some statistics, and a photo of a wrecked car.

I wonder what happened?

All of Frankie's links connect to a "404 Page not Found" error message.

K
            I believe the photos are staying up only 24 hours per week...uploaded on Wed., removed on Thurs.

Comment

I believe the photos are staying up only 24 hours per week...uploaded on Wed., removed on Thurs.
              Thanks, Sue, I missed that part.
              Wonder why it's only up for a day....

K
              ~ ~

Comment

I'll admit it affected my drinking last night. While I never have more than 2 glasses of wine during the course of an evening, I made sure all imbibing was pau by 7p. And I didn't leave the party 'til after 10p.
                Whenever I got out drinking, it is always with the same group of friends, with a designated driver. Or if it's at a party, the spouse or eldest spawn will take me home. In my profession, I can't afford to lose my license. It's been that way for a long time, so personally speaking, this HPD wall of shame doesn't even faze me.

The DUI website is primarily to "shame" those drivers who get arrested. It's just their name, a mugshot, the date of the arrest, and the charge, which in almost every case is OVUII - high intoxication. And the humiliation lasts for only 24 hours. That's it. (Although an acquiantance who sees it may never let that person forget it!) The sex offender registry is not merely to shame those who are listed. It is designed to alert people in a community about anyone who has committed a sex crime in the past and to keep tabs on their whereabouts/activity, so that women and children are protected. In addition to their name, picture, and offense committed, you also see their home address, place of employment, and description of their vehicle. And with few exceptions, sex offenders are registered online for life.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

[...] And with few exceptions, sex offenders are registered online for life.
                  I don't remember what year this registry debuted online...maybe 10 years ago? Anyway, one of the men I saw at that time (he was also someone in my files) is still there. And, no, he hasn't been thru my office since my "discovery"!!! His agent suggested him for a project many years ago. I declined and gave her the URL.

Comment

Heh, just kidding, Leo. Hope you can also take some good natured ribbin', as I have from you in the past.
                    Indeed - I set you up, you knocked 'em outta the park.

Thanks for the editorial links. And as tutusue said - simple curiosity. I'm sure I knew that, just didn't want to.

Comment

Whenever I got out drinking, it is always with the same group of friends, with a designated driver. Or if it's at a party, the spouse or eldest spawn will take me home. In my profession, I can't afford to lose my license.
                      Sounds to me like a wise use of your resources, FM. You have a plan, and it works for you. Bravo!
                      Would that all drinkers of ETOH be as circumspect.... Or that HPD had a better way to collect all DUIs.
                      I've also heard taxis are another alternative - at least for those who haven't emptied their pockets already...

Better yet are our teetotaler friends such as sophielynette, and my son and his group of friends, who abstain deliberately!

K
                      ~ ~

Comment

Maybe after being convicted they should hold a sign saying they have been convicted for DUI, at the corner of King and Bishop or some other high visibility intersection. This could be part of their community service.

Comment

Y'know, even if this Wall of Shame thing ends after its 6 month trial period, it should be said that people you personally know can still easily look up your traffic violations online at the Hawaii court records database. Enter in that person's full name and it lists everything you were charged with, from a parking violation to operating a vehicle under the influence. Even the cases that were dismissed will be on there. So the idea that one's driving indiscretions is a private/confidential matter is rather dubious. The same legal justification that the Hawaii state Judiciary branch uses to display its public record database online is what HPD is using to display its DUI Wall of Shame.

There are differences between the two sites, of course. Unlike the HPD Wall of Shame, the judiciary database shows no mugshots. OTOH though, the violations listed on the judiciary database stays on there for many years. For example, the driver who was killed in the speed-related accident on Pali Hwy. a week ago has all his previous violations viewable online, going all the way back to 1990! That's nearly 20 years, in comparison to the HPD's online humiliation that only lasts for 24 hours.

Comment

Hmmmm...

The Heenes were given probation back on Nov. 12, which basically ended the Balloon Boy thread.
                            I hadn't heard that, but it's interesting that I was right a month ago that this would be the outcome.

Thanx Leo for bringing it up!
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

HPD's online DUI pics

The Star Bulletin is taking an online poll, asking readers, "Do you approve or disapprove of the Honolulu Police Department’s new online program that posts the names and mug shots of people charged with DUI?" As of my writing this, 63.91% approve, while only 36.09% disapprove.

Comment

The Star Bulletin is taking an online poll, asking readers, "Do you approve or disapprove of the Honolulu Police Department’s new online program that posts the names and mug shots of people charged with DUI?" As of my writing this, 63.91% approve, while only 36.09% disapprove.
                                A splendid example of why our forefathers discarded the notion of the popular vote, and supported instead, voting for representatives who were educated in law, and supported sensible positions rather than emotional reactionism.

(Sigh) Of course, in the modern world, that has gone to pot as well, because our representatives vote for the positions supported by their financial supporters rather than those of their constituents.

Yes, this is a generalism, as some reps are brave enough to support the public INTENT (within the rule of law).

Asking the public to state an opinion relevant to legal issues is like asking monkeys to opine upon the nature of God.

Opinions may be good news though.... As is 'reality TV.'

Or popular news, at least, but hardly "GOOD."

FAUX News! (Thanks, cyn)

Thanks for the link, FM.

K
                                Last edited by Kaonohi; November 30, 2009, 06:53 PM. Reason: Schpellink!
                                ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                                X