HPD's online DUI pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPD's online DUI pics

why do you say this is sad? He is a human being, with flaws, as all of us are. He happened to get stopped for drunk driving. Look at it this way - he was stopped before he could cause an accident and possibly kill someone. and lets face it - drunk driving, while a very serious charge, kind of fades in the shadow of his other legal problems.

and just to be clear = I have been a HUGE C & K fan since the 70's and thats not gonna change because of this DUI.
    Last edited by anapuni808; February 19, 2010, 09:06 PM.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Looks like the next round of DUI photos will sadly include one well known local singer.[...]
      Hmmm...shades of yesteryear.

Comment

HPD faxing around a news release this morning saying they're "reviewing" the post-a-mug program and that no further photos will be available TFN. I think this is earlier than how long they said their pilot would be. Somebody sue?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
          HPD faxing around a news release this morning saying they're "reviewing" the post-a-mug program and that no further photos will be available TFN. I think this is earlier than how long they said their pilot would be. Somebody sue?
          I don't think it helped that some idiot on Facebook made a DUI Wednesday page. The names and pic of the offenders were only supposed to be viewable to the public for 24 hours, but that page kept the pics online for way past that.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            I don't think it helped that some idiot on Facebook made a DUI Wednesday page. The names and pic of the offenders were only supposed to be viewable to the public for 24 hours, but that page kept the pics online for way past that.
            You mean the HPD actually believed that something posted on the internet could be there only temporarily, guaranteed? Haaa-haaa-haaaaaaa! (Newbie definition #37.)

Comment

I don't think it helped that some idiot on Facebook made a DUI Wednesday page.
              I wouldn't call that person an idiot. It's wacky like a morning zoo radio deejay.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                I wouldn't call that person an idiot. It's wacky like a morning zoo radio deejay.
                I'm not calling him an idiot because of his sense of humor. I just think it's a shame that sites like this may have contributed to the demise of the DUI wall of shame, which I think was a good deterrent.

It is obviously possible for people to copy the 24-hour mugshots from the HPD website and post them onto another site for perpetuity, just as it is also possible for sexual predators to use chat rooms to entice underage children. Just because it is "possible" to do something over the internet doesn't make it right.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 9, 2010, 08:32 PM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Just because it is "possible" to do something over the internet doesn't make it right.
                  And just because it's not "right" doesn't mean no one will do it.

If the HPD is using other people's posting of the pictures as an excuse for pulling the site, they are quite ignorant regarding how the internet operates.

But are they using that as an excuse? Or was that just speculation on your part, FM?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    And just because it's not "right" doesn't mean no one will do it.
                    Indeed. And that is where consequences are laid out whenever abuses of the internet occur. In the case of online predators, they take the risk of getting caught in police sting operations.

If the HPD is using other people's posting of the pictures as an excuse for pulling the site, they are quite ignorant regarding how the internet operates.
                    Preventing/discouraging social network users and bloggers from misusing the DUI website doesn't take rocket science. HPD could add an opening disclaimer page stipulating (in legal language) the terms and conditions that users of the website must abide by, if they are going to access the site. On the bottom of the disclaimer page, an "accept" or "decline" option is given. The Hawaii Judiciary branch currently does that for anyone who uses their online database.

Anyone who violates any part of the agreement they have accepted could then face consequences for their actions.

But are they using that as an excuse? Or was that just speculation on your part, FM?
                    HPD is not giving an official reason for the suspension of the pilot program. But anyone with elbow grease in their brain power can figure out that the dissemination and perpetual posting of names/mug shots posed a legal concern. From an excellently researched Star Bulletin editorial:

New York's Nassau County launched its Web site, titled "Wall of Shame," in May of last year but it was temporarily halted by a state judge five months later for denying due process of law to those pictured. Unlike Honolulu's planned site, the names and photos of those arrested in the Long Island county were posted on the Internet for an unlimited period.

The New York judge cited a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in concluding that "something more than simple defamation" by a government official or agency is necessary to reach what he called "stigma plus."

In Nassau County, the judge concluded, the county's "publishing and maintaining the petitioner's name, picture and identifying information embedded in a press release on the county's Internet Web site, which results in limitless and eternal notoriety, without any controls, is sufficient to be the 'plus' in the 'stigma plus' due process analysis in the case."
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 10, 2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Looks to me that the HPD might be a little concerned by the Nassau County ruling, rather than what anyone else in Webland is doing. Probably pulled the site on the advice of "cya" attorneys, while they analyze whether the good of possible prevention is worth the risk of legal action.

But that's just my humble interpretation. Based on the comments in the editorial, it looks as though HPD felt they were on stronger legal ground. Perhaps a little tweaking (such as adding the suggested disclaimer - which really ought to have been done at the start, strengthening my point that HPD is not as well-versed in internet activity as they ought to have been) will make them confident enough to continue.

I look forward to hearing more reports from HPD as to the perceived success of the program, post shortened-pilot period or upon resumption of the site.

Comment

What is that internet guideline that parents tell their children ... something along the lines of "Anything you post on the internet is there forever, and don't ever forget that!".

Surely HPD knows those basics. So, I wonder if the excuse of the photos showing up on facebook is just that ... an excuse to take the heat off of the real problem, which could very well be lawsuit related. (And, the county isn't going to admit that they've done something that could result in a lawsuit, so deflecting the blame elsewhere would be handy.)

Or, perhaps someone was arrested for a DUI that is a decision maker about the DUI website.
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                          Or, perhaps someone was arrested for a DUI that is a decision maker about the DUI website.
                          No need for speculation on your part for that, is there? After all, the names of all the offenders were listed on the site.

Who was arrested that would have the power to single-handedly shut down the DUI website? There were none that I noticed. Do you have any "suspect" in mind on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                            HPD came to their senses???????

Will wonders never cease!
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              I can't believe politicians would drink and drive. They supposed to know right from wrong.

Comment

People are going to drink and drive regardless of the website. Having a couple weeks with spikes in arrests only showed that more drinkers were caught... which implies that there were already a lot of drunks on the road to begin with. The irony is to claim one week with a low number of arrests as a "success" only to be slammed the following week with several (which others would call as "success" as well).

One question is, never mind whether a politician's face was put on a Wednesday lineup, but what if a cop's face ended up on there... or not...?

I never viewed the website. It has no influence on my everyday decision making with respect to drinking and driving. It doesn't take a website to tell me what I was already raised to know.

Until HPD can get their issues, decisions and legal obligations straightened out, chalk this up as a win for the Civil Liberties of Hawaiian residents. Shunning someone who is "presumed innocent until proven guilty" was HPD's first legal and moral error.

Comment

Working...
                                X