Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HPD's online DUI pics

Default Re: HPD's online DUI pics

Maybe after being convicted they should hold a sign saying they have been convicted for DUI, at the corner of King and Bishop or some other high visibility intersection. This could be part of their community service.

Y'know, even if this Wall of Shame thing ends after its 6 month trial period, it should be said that people you personally know can still easily look up your traffic violations online at the Hawaii court records database. Enter in that person's full name and it lists everything you were charged with, from a parking violation to operating a vehicle under the influence. Even the cases that were dismissed will be on there. So the idea that one's driving indiscretions is a private/confidential matter is rather dubious. The same legal justification that the Hawaii state Judiciary branch uses to display its public record database online is what HPD is using to display its DUI Wall of Shame.

There are differences between the two sites, of course. Unlike the HPD Wall of Shame, the judiciary database shows no mugshots. OTOH though, the violations listed on the judiciary database stays on there for many years. For example, the driver who was killed in the speed-related accident on Pali Hwy. a week ago has all his previous violations viewable online, going all the way back to 1990! That's nearly 20 years, in comparison to the HPD's online humiliation that only lasts for 24 hours.

Default Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    The Heenes were given probation back on Nov. 12, which basically ended the Balloon Boy thread.
    I hadn't heard that, but it's interesting that I was right a month ago that this would be the outcome.

Thanx Leo for bringing it up!

Default HPD's online DUI pics

The Star Bulletin is taking an online poll, asking readers, "Do you approve or disapprove of the Honolulu Police Departmentís new online program that posts the names and mug shots of people charged with DUI?" As of my writing this, 63.91% approve, while only 36.09% disapprove.

Question Re: HPD's online DUI pics

The Star Bulletin is taking an online poll, asking readers, "Do you approve or disapprove of the Honolulu Police Department’s new online program that posts the names and mug shots of people charged with DUI?" As of my writing this, 63.91% approve, while only 36.09% disapprove.
    A splendid example of why our forefathers discarded the notion of the popular vote, and supported instead, voting for representatives who were educated in law, and supported sensible positions rather than emotional reactionism.

(Sigh) Of course, in the modern world, that has gone to pot as well, because our representatives vote for the positions supported by their financial supporters rather than those of their constituents.

Yes, this is a generalism, as some reps are brave enough to support the public INTENT (within the rule of law).

Asking the public to state an opinion relevant to legal issues is like asking monkeys to opine upon the nature of God.

Opinions may be good news though.... As is 'reality TV.'

Or popular news, at least, but hardly "GOOD."

FAUX News! (Thanks, cyn)

Thanks for the link, FM.

K
    Last edited by Kaonohi; November 30th, 2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Schpellink!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

This week's DUI website lists 86 names, 83 of them with mugshots. Looks like HPD had a very busy Thanksgiving weekend. And this time, they are all on one page that scrolls on and on and on.

Cool Re: HPD's online DUI pics

This week's DUI website lists 86 names, 83 of them with mugshots. Looks like HPD had a very busy Thanksgiving weekend. And this time, they are all on one page that scrolls on and on and on.
    Busy, busy, busy. Quite an improvement.

I felt sorry for Kathryn, she was close to tears.....

I try to read faces. So many are arrogant, in denial (shown by the raised chin, heavy stare, or scowl. They WILL be repeat offenders.

Many others are seemingly "out of it," what the Japanese call "Sanpaku,": or 'three-white,' indicating when the whites of of the eyes show on three sides of the iris. Scary!

What a panoply of humanity - some laughing (still drunk?) others threatening, a few scared, others like 'here we go again.'

In spite of my previous reticence to this procedure, I am interested, learning something new from this display.

K

Kinda like animals in a zoo.
    Last edited by admin; June 6th, 2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Full name redacted upon request by post author.
    ~ ~

This site will become my regular Wednesday stop just to see if I know anyone in the photos. So far no one. That's good.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Here are the cheerful ones:

http://www.honoluluagonizer.com/?p=1708

She's not among the happy ones, but did anyone notice that one the mugs is the daughter of the guy who invented Dungeons & Dragons?
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

For those who wonder whether these postings will have any effect -

Last week's first post (Nov 25) was for the week of November 15-21 - lotta folks couldn't see the Web site for technical reasons; this week's (today, Dec 2) for Nov 22-28 appeared to be easily accessible.

So if the Wall of Shame has potential to reduce driving drunk, should we look for a reduction in numbers starting next Wednesday? Assuming potential drinking drivers when know about this stuff, or have checked the page, etc.

Stay tuned . . .

I must say the folks who looked over my shoulder as we checked out the mugs today was similar to some others here:
    - "sympathy" (misplaced) for the nearly-tearful
    - "awwwww . . ." for the one's who looked like they were having a really cuddly, good time
    - etc.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
    She's not among the happy ones, but did anyone notice that one the mugs is the daughter of the guy who invented Dungeons & Dragons?
    I remember her pic and noticed her last name. So, in fact, she is the daughter of the late Gary Gygax? And she lives here? Wow, learn somethin' new every day.

I don't think I like this. Have these people been convicted of their alleged crimes, or are they simply the PD's latest DUI haul who are awaiting trial?

Update - I hate this. These people have not been convicted of their alleged crimes, yet their info and photos are displayed to "shame" them!!!??? This is ABSURD! Has anyone considered the repercussions that may come to the accused? They have not been proven to have done anything wrong, yet the court of public opinion is given easy access to look down upon them? THAT"S WRONG! This borders on defamation! Let the lawsuits begin!!!
    Last edited by turtlegirl; December 3rd, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    I don't think I like this. Have these people been convicted of their alleged crimes, or are they simply the PD's latest DUI haul who are awaiting trial?

Update - I hate this. These people have not been convicted of their alleged crimes, yet their info and photos are displayed to "shame" them!!!??? This is ABSURD! Has anyone considered the repercussions that may come to the accused? They have not been proven to have done anything wrong, yet the court of public opinion is given easy access to look down upon them? THAT"S WRONG! This borders on defamation! Let the lawsuits begin!!!
    I totally agree. Once published, society has already assigned blame and painted a picture of you even though you may be aquitted! Once convicted however, yeah plaster their face all over everything.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    When Hawaii started it's sex offender web site I logged on strictly out of curiosity knowing my interest would wane within 15 minutes! I was curious whether any offenders lived in my Makaha condo building. Then I saw 2 men who were in my casting files (no, they didn't live in my building!). That site took on a whole new meaning for me. I still use it.

Curiosity just got the best of me so I checked my Makaha building. FOUR registered sex offenders live there!
    See! A perfect example! Those 2 men may have done nothing more sexually offensive than stopping by the side of the road to take a whiz, and got caught with their pants down (pun intended). The sex offender website does not differentiate between public pee-ers and filthy criminals that may have raped or molested many victims. Yet these two guys are instantaneously judged simply for having registered to the website per court order. This is not right.

Spurred to curiosity, I checked the sex offender website just now, and I have one living about 5 doors down from me. Meh, I still feel very safe in my neighborhood.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Post Re: HPD's online DUI pics

One thing we can do is write HPD at their contact site and express our concern. Also we can contact the ACLU.

You are right; this is WRONG!

K
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~ ~

Look on the bright side. If any of these people go to court for another reason, their lawyer can argue that the jury pool is tainted because their objectivity might be altered by being able to see these mug shots.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

See! A perfect example! Those 2 men may have done nothing more sexually offensive than stopping by the side of the road to take a whiz, and got caught with their pants down (pun intended). The sex offender website does not differentiate between public pee-ers and filthy criminals that may have raped or molested many victims.[...]
    Just curious...you do understand that these are convicted sex offenders...right?

Angry Re: HPD's online DUI pics

Quote Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
    Look on the bright side. If any of these people go to court for another reason, their lawyer can argue that the jury pool is tainted because their objectivity might be altered by being able to see these mug shots.
    No.
    That's the Dark Side, where Frankie's Market hands out COOKIES!

If a real DUI offender gets off because his/her picture was posted prematurely, that's injustice - no matter who initiated it,nor what other crime was involved.

HPD, or whomever initiated this (even if it was Boisse) is incompetent and stupid (IMNSHO).
    ~ ~

Thumbs down Re: HPD's online DUI pics

Re: Posts 4, 30 and 37.

I also disagree with posting pictures of "alleged" DUI suspects on the basis of innocent until proven guilty. You can be a natural-born clutsy person blowing a 0.01 and get arrested for DUI, despite your sobriety.

If HPD wanted to get this right (and not infringe on the rights of the accused), they should be posting mugshots of CONVICTED drunk drivers, identifying who they are, where they drove, their BAC and what their punishment was.

I will more often than not refuse to look at HPD's website because of how user-unfriendly it is. They don't even have a business telephone number to call. When I called the firearms registry number, I asked what the phone number was to contact them for non-emergency business calls and she said, "Oh, just dial 911 and ask for the police department."

WRONG IDEA. Why am I 1) tying up an emergency line for a business call, and 2) paying a cell phone emergency fee for calling 911? HPD drives me crazy not because of what they do, but what they don't do, and what they don't do correctly.

On the latest HPD DUI Wall of Shame (covering everyone arrested from 12/27 to 1/2), there are 47 names listed, 45 of them with mugshots. This past week covers New Year's Eve and Day.

Compare this with 86 drivers arrested on the week of Thanksgiving (11/22 thru 11/28).

Moreover, there were a total of 4,316 DUI arrests on Oahu in 2008, which averages out to 83 arrests per week.

I know that the officers may have been responding to a lot of emergency calls last New Year's Eve. But still, 47 arrests on a week coinciding with a major holiday and lots of parties represents a very significant drop.

Like it or hate it, it seems like the DUI website has had a quite an impact in deterring drunks from getting behind the wheel.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 6th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Like it or hate it, it seems like the DUI website has had a quite an impact in deterring drunks from getting behind the wheel.
    How do you come to the conclusion that it's the website that leads to that week's drop in drunk driving arrests?

I think it highly unlikely that the existence of the Web site is widely known enough to be a deterrent. That could easily change if someone "famous" shows up some week - media attention would surely follow.

I wish there was a hit counter on that page! Oh dear, poor E. Perez (intentionally not using his first name)...I can only imagine how bad his *alleged* hangover was. Ouch...

i think the HPD should at least copy protect the pics so people cant load them on other sites.... i was tempted to do just that here to illustrate my point. it seems that they could be liable for misuse of those pics.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    How do you come to the conclusion that it's the website that leads to that week's drop in drunk driving arrests?
    Mostly cuz it's been all the talk at the watering holes that I visit.

Not that that's any kind of definitive evidence. It is speculation on my part that you are free to ignore and disregard, if you wish.

At the same time, I don't think a near 50% drop in the "average" number of DUI arrests from 2008 is a pure coincidence. Anyone can play naive if they want. Anyone who doesn't live on Oahu may be divorced from the reality of the situation. But as I said, based on what I have seen in the bars that I go to, people are aware of the website. And since the website has gone into effect, I notice the habit of some regulars have begun to change, whether it's not leaving the establishment as smashed as before and more people calling for taxis. My friend who works as a night manager for one of the Ohana hotels says he's noticed more intoxicated locals looking for rooms in the wee hours of the morning since the DUI website started.

Quote Originally Posted by escondido100 View Post
    i think the HPD should at least copy protect the pics so people cant load them on other sites.... i was tempted to do just that here to illustrate my point. it seems that they could be liable for misuse of those pics.
    The names of people arrested for DUI and the mugshots..... it's all public record. It was public record before the website started. It will remain that way if this pilot program ends.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I wish there was a hit counter on that page! Oh dear, poor E. Perez (intentionally not using his first name)...I can only imagine how bad his *alleged* hangover was. Ouch...
    Looks like someone had to wipe the drool off his lips and chin before his photo was taken.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast