HPD's online DUI pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPD's online DUI pics

This week's DUI website lists 86 names, 83 of them with mugshots. Looks like HPD had a very busy Thanksgiving weekend. And this time, they are all on one page that scrolls on and on and on.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      This week's DUI website lists 86 names, 83 of them with mugshots. Looks like HPD had a very busy Thanksgiving weekend. And this time, they are all on one page that scrolls on and on and on.
      Busy, busy, busy. Quite an improvement.

I felt sorry for Kathryn, she was close to tears.....

I try to read faces. So many are arrogant, in denial (shown by the raised chin, heavy stare, or scowl. They WILL be repeat offenders.

Many others are seemingly "out of it," what the Japanese call "Sanpaku,": or 'three-white,' indicating when the whites of of the eyes show on three sides of the iris. Scary!

What a panoply of humanity - some laughing (still drunk?) others threatening, a few scared, others like 'here we go again.'

In spite of my previous reticence to this procedure, I am interested, learning something new from this display.

K

Kinda like animals in a zoo.
      Last edited by admin; June 6, 2010, 08:42 AM. Reason: Full name redacted upon request by post author.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

This site will become my regular Wednesday stop just to see if I know anyone in the photos. So far no one. That's good.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here are the cheerful ones:

http://www.honoluluagonizer.com/?p=1708

She's not among the happy ones, but did anyone notice that one the mugs is the daughter of the guy who invented Dungeons & Dragons?
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

For those who wonder whether these postings will have any effect -

Last week's first post (Nov 25) was for the week of November 15-21 - lotta folks couldn't see the Web site for technical reasons; this week's (today, Dec 2) for Nov 22-28 appeared to be easily accessible.

So if the Wall of Shame has potential to reduce driving drunk, should we look for a reduction in numbers starting next Wednesday? Assuming potential drinking drivers when know about this stuff, or have checked the page, etc.

Stay tuned . . .

I must say the folks who looked over my shoulder as we checked out the mugs today was similar to some others here:
            - "sympathy" (misplaced) for the nearly-tearful
            - "awwwww . . ." for the one's who looked like they were having a really cuddly, good time
            - etc.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
              She's not among the happy ones, but did anyone notice that one the mugs is the daughter of the guy who invented Dungeons & Dragons?
              I remember her pic and noticed her last name. So, in fact, she is the daughter of the late Gary Gygax? And she lives here? Wow, learn somethin' new every day.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I don't think I like this. Have these people been convicted of their alleged crimes, or are they simply the PD's latest DUI haul who are awaiting trial?

Update - I hate this. These people have not been convicted of their alleged crimes, yet their info and photos are displayed to "shame" them!!!??? This is ABSURD! Has anyone considered the repercussions that may come to the accused? They have not been proven to have done anything wrong, yet the court of public opinion is given easy access to look down upon them? THAT"S WRONG! This borders on defamation! Let the lawsuits begin!!!
                Last edited by turtlegirl; December 3, 2009, 11:06 AM.
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  I don't think I like this. Have these people been convicted of their alleged crimes, or are they simply the PD's latest DUI haul who are awaiting trial?

Update - I hate this. These people have not been convicted of their alleged crimes, yet their info and photos are displayed to "shame" them!!!??? This is ABSURD! Has anyone considered the repercussions that may come to the accused? They have not been proven to have done anything wrong, yet the court of public opinion is given easy access to look down upon them? THAT"S WRONG! This borders on defamation! Let the lawsuits begin!!!
                  I totally agree. Once published, society has already assigned blame and painted a picture of you even though you may be aquitted! Once convicted however, yeah plaster their face all over everything.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    When Hawaii started it's sex offender web site I logged on strictly out of curiosity knowing my interest would wane within 15 minutes! I was curious whether any offenders lived in my Makaha condo building. Then I saw 2 men who were in my casting files (no, they didn't live in my building!). That site took on a whole new meaning for me. I still use it.

Curiosity just got the best of me so I checked my Makaha building. FOUR registered sex offenders live there!
                    See! A perfect example! Those 2 men may have done nothing more sexually offensive than stopping by the side of the road to take a whiz, and got caught with their pants down (pun intended). The sex offender website does not differentiate between public pee-ers and filthy criminals that may have raped or molested many victims. Yet these two guys are instantaneously judged simply for having registered to the website per court order. This is not right.

Spurred to curiosity, I checked the sex offender website just now, and I have one living about 5 doors down from me. Meh, I still feel very safe in my neighborhood.
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

One thing we can do is write HPD at their contact site and express our concern. Also we can contact the ACLU.

You are right; this is WRONG!

K
                      Attached Files
                      ~ ~

Comment

Look on the bright side. If any of these people go to court for another reason, their lawyer can argue that the jury pool is tainted because their objectivity might be altered by being able to see these mug shots.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

See! A perfect example! Those 2 men may have done nothing more sexually offensive than stopping by the side of the road to take a whiz, and got caught with their pants down (pun intended). The sex offender website does not differentiate between public pee-ers and filthy criminals that may have raped or molested many victims.[...]
                          Just curious...you do understand that these are convicted sex offenders...right?

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            Look on the bright side. If any of these people go to court for another reason, their lawyer can argue that the jury pool is tainted because their objectivity might be altered by being able to see these mug shots.
                            No.
                            That's the Dark Side, where Frankie's Market hands out COOKIES!

If a real DUI offender gets off because his/her picture was posted prematurely, that's injustice - no matter who initiated it,nor what other crime was involved.

HPD, or whomever initiated this (even if it was Boisse) is incompetent and stupid (IMNSHO).
                            ~ ~

Comment

Re: Posts 4, 30 and 37.

I also disagree with posting pictures of "alleged" DUI suspects on the basis of innocent until proven guilty. You can be a natural-born clutsy person blowing a 0.01 and get arrested for DUI, despite your sobriety.

If HPD wanted to get this right (and not infringe on the rights of the accused), they should be posting mugshots of CONVICTED drunk drivers, identifying who they are, where they drove, their BAC and what their punishment was.

I will more often than not refuse to look at HPD's website because of how user-unfriendly it is. They don't even have a business telephone number to call. When I called the firearms registry number, I asked what the phone number was to contact them for non-emergency business calls and she said, "Oh, just dial 911 and ask for the police department."

WRONG IDEA. Why am I 1) tying up an emergency line for a business call, and 2) paying a cell phone emergency fee for calling 911? HPD drives me crazy not because of what they do, but what they don't do, and what they don't do correctly.

Comment

On the latest HPD DUI Wall of Shame (covering everyone arrested from 12/27 to 1/2), there are 47 names listed, 45 of them with mugshots. This past week covers New Year's Eve and Day.

Compare this with 86 drivers arrested on the week of Thanksgiving (11/22 thru 11/28).

Moreover, there were a total of 4,316 DUI arrests on Oahu in 2008, which averages out to 83 arrests per week.

I know that the officers may have been responding to a lot of emergency calls last New Year's Eve. But still, 47 arrests on a week coinciding with a major holiday and lots of parties represents a very significant drop.

Like it or hate it, it seems like the DUI website has had a quite an impact in deterring drunks from getting behind the wheel.
                                Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 6, 2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X