Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPD's online DUI pics

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Like it or hate it, it seems like the DUI website has had a quite an impact in deterring drunks from getting behind the wheel.
    How do you come to the conclusion that it's the website that leads to that week's drop in drunk driving arrests?

Comment

I think it highly unlikely that the existence of the Web site is widely known enough to be a deterrent. That could easily change if someone "famous" shows up some week - media attention would surely follow.

Comment

I wish there was a hit counter on that page! Oh dear, poor E. Perez (intentionally not using his first name)...I can only imagine how bad his *alleged* hangover was. Ouch...

Comment

i think the HPD should at least copy protect the pics so people cant load them on other sites.... i was tempted to do just that here to illustrate my point. it seems that they could be liable for misuse of those pics.
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            How do you come to the conclusion that it's the website that leads to that week's drop in drunk driving arrests?
            Mostly cuz it's been all the talk at the watering holes that I visit.

Not that that's any kind of definitive evidence. It is speculation on my part that you are free to ignore and disregard, if you wish.

At the same time, I don't think a near 50% drop in the "average" number of DUI arrests from 2008 is a pure coincidence. Anyone can play naive if they want. Anyone who doesn't live on Oahu may be divorced from the reality of the situation. But as I said, based on what I have seen in the bars that I go to, people are aware of the website. And since the website has gone into effect, I notice the habit of some regulars have begun to change, whether it's not leaving the establishment as smashed as before and more people calling for taxis. My friend who works as a night manager for one of the Ohana hotels says he's noticed more intoxicated locals looking for rooms in the wee hours of the morning since the DUI website started.

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
            i think the HPD should at least copy protect the pics so people cant load them on other sites.... i was tempted to do just that here to illustrate my point. it seems that they could be liable for misuse of those pics.
            The names of people arrested for DUI and the mugshots..... it's all public record. It was public record before the website started. It will remain that way if this pilot program ends.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I wish there was a hit counter on that page! Oh dear, poor E. Perez (intentionally not using his first name)...I can only imagine how bad his *alleged* hangover was. Ouch...
            Looks like someone had to wipe the drool off his lips and chin before his photo was taken.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

[...]
              Looks like someone had to wipe the drool off his lips and chin before his photo was taken.
              Could be, but looked to me like an employee had to hold the dude's head up for the photo to be taken! Possibly the employees other hand was holding the dude's torso against the wall to steady him!

Comment

Mostly cuz it's been all the talk at the watering holes that I visit.
                Fair enough. Sometimes, "anecdotal" evidence turns out to be a mighty accurate meter.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                  I also disagree with posting pictures of "alleged" DUI suspects on the basis of innocent until proven guilty.

If HPD wanted to get this right (and not infringe on the rights of the accused), they should be posting mugshots of CONVICTED drunk drivers, identifying who they are, where they drove, their BAC and what their punishment was.

she said, "Oh, just dial 911 and ask for the police department."

WRONG IDEA. Why am I 1) tying up an emergency line for a business call, and 2) paying a cell phone emergency fee for calling 911? HPD drives me crazy not because of what they do, but what they don't do, and what they don't do correctly.
                  And that's not all HPD is doing wrong. There's a contingent of 'bad cops,' some of whom were involved in the 'aerial granade' illegal fireworks this year, some of whom are working with criminals to protect chop-shops and drug labs (a friend I know has photographic evidence he can't use because he's afraid of losing his job and facing "retribution."

What do you do when your government is crooked and your cops (not all, but enough) are bad? If we were a nation, we could revolt. But an island state?

It's not getting better, either.

(Anonymous)
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Could be, but looked to me like an employee had to hold the dude's head up for the photo to be taken! Possibly the employees other hand was holding the dude's torso against the wall to steady him!
                    Lee Cataluna even wrote about that guy - http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...y+show+in+town
                    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

OK, I'm caught. Number 55 in the 'Lineup.'

I noticed that in the photos, many were 'sanpaku' (i.e., the white of their eyes were on 3sides of their iris), two had 'samurai topknots,' some were exhibiting 'shame' and others arrogance. Some looked 'evilly' angry, and other looked like, "Oh well, let's get this over with.

What a cross-section of humanity!
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                        Lee Cataluna even wrote about that guy - http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...y+show+in+town
                        Poor guy! Little did he know that he would gain a bit of notoriety!

Comment

53 DUI arrests for the week of Jan. 3 thru 9. A little bit up from last week. But that is still way down from the 2008 average of 83 arrests per week.

With these kinds of results, I think the DUI website is here to stay.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

With these kinds of results, I think the DUI website is here to stay.
                            Not to mention the apparent entertainment value!

Comment

The HPD postings for DUI arrestees totals 108 for the week of Jan 31-Feb 6. that's really high (so to speak) - wonder what they were all celebrating? Too early for Super Bowl feb 7 . . .

Comment

Looks like the next round of DUI photos will sadly include one well known local singer. Check out this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X