No announcement yet.

Tiger Woods injured in car accident!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tiger Woods injured in car accident!

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Whats the difference between a golf ball and a caddy? Tiger can drive a golf ball.
    Like I said a few days ago, let the jokes begin and so they have, his private life is history for now.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Looking more and more like Susie was on the mark.
      In TW's words: "I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves."
      Unfortunately, he didn't stop at that point, and leave it at that. Here is the complete text of Tiger's official statement.

As sports columnist Dan Wetzel points out, Tiger accepted responsibility for the incident,.... but points an accusing finger at the media. Wetzel makes a good point about how it was the media that elevated him from merely being the best golfer in his generation (like Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, and Jack Nicklaus in earlier times) to a mega-celebrity superstar. A household/brand name that is worth over a billion dollars in endorsement deals. The media that adored him and help make him the world's wealthiest and most recognized athlete is the same media that Tiger is complaining about now that events have led to his dirty laundry being aired out publicly. And Wetzel is calling him out on that.

Tiger had the closest thing to a dream life anyone could imagine: untold wealth, a beautiful, healthy family, professional satisfaction and so on.

He got some of it from portraying himself as a model of clean-cut morality. Perfect shirt. Perfect smile. Perfect wife. Perfect life.
      Tiger took every bit of the money his image delivered. And with great rewards come great responsibility. That’s the deal. You can’t have one without the other. You can’t have your image beamed relentlessly into everyone’s living room and then expect people not to be intrigued with your life.

You can’t release glowing pictures of your family and think the public isn’t going to seek information when it comes crumbling down.

It’s fine that he’s not perfect. It’s just that he had IMG sell him as such.

Tiger should’ve stopped after the contrite first paragraph. He should’ve hunkered down and tried to salvage what he can of his marriage. Maybe he still will.

The rest speaks to an athlete detached from reality, myopic in his view of the world which has surrounded him by yes men willing to do anything to keep Tiger the Brand believable.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        Since he wasn't seriously hurt by the crash, err I mean by his wife, expect him to be the butt of jokes on SNL and other shows.
        If one is Jonesing for comedic parodies of the latest news events, one doesn't have wait for SNL in this day and age of YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo_qPs87GIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRas...=tiger%20woods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWxs...eature=related
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

As Chris Rock said, "Men are as faithful as their options."

Tiger Woods has options.

Comment

I ignored this as long as I could.

I just can't get into media superstar crash and burn.
            They are not more than human, unless we imagine them to be, and that's just fantasy.

Quote:
            "He got some of it from portraying himself as a model of clean-cut morality. Perfect shirt. Perfect smile. Perfect wife. Perfect life.

Quote:
            Tiger took every bit of the money his image delivered. And with great rewards come great responsibility. That’s the deal. You can’t have one without the other. You can’t have your image beamed relentlessly into everyone’s living room and then expect people not to be intrigued with your life."

OK, true enough. But, fame and fortune is not automatic holy perfection. He's human; he makes mistakes, he has flaws. Our concern, focused on his out standing ability on the greens and fairways need not say his social/sexual faux pas erase all that!

He is what he is: a damn good golfer (for what that's worth), an outstanding role model for blacks (in spite of any assumed indiscretions, which are more 'maleness' than 'racist') - his success says, "YOU can do it!"

Oh yeah. Make fun. Trash up-and-coming minorities. You want to keep them down where they belong????

I'm certain more white golfing legends have been unfaithful and had private/public blow-outs - but it's more important if it's Tiger Woods or Michelle Wie, isn't it?

This says more about us than it does about Tiger.

OK, line up!

K
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Oh dear...
              Rachel...
              Kalika...
              Jaimee...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Oh dear...
                Rachel...
                Kalika...
                Jaimee...
                Such wisdom from one so young....

Tutusue, you have a penchant for knowing. Knowing where the shards of pain will fall when the alleged caretakers drop the wineglasses.

What can we do?
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  I ignored this as long as I could.

He is what he is: a damn good golfer (for what that's worth), an outstanding role model for blacks (in spite of any assumed indiscretions, which are more 'maleness' than 'racist') - his success says, "YOU can do it!"

Oh yeah. Make fun. Trash up-and-coming minorities. You want to keep them down where they belong????
                  Yes he is and still can be a role model, but he's a high profile public figure and I don't feel sorry for him because he screwed up. It also seems he's been screwing around with not just one lady, but several others, so it's not like it is just one indiscretion. What are we to feel sorry for the fact he got caught?
                  He has a wife and two small children, had he been single I don't think anyone would have blinked an eye at his trysts. Is there a lesson learned or what, the Gary Hart's, the John Edwards, it ruined their political careers, but Tiger will still be able to play golf once the dust is settled and I think he is well enough liked as the best golfer in the world perhaps of all time and this will eventually pass.

Comment

Yes he is and still can be a role model, but he's a high profile public figure and I don't feel sorry for him because he screwed up. It also seems he's been screwing around with not just one lady, but several others, so it's not like it is just one indiscretion. What are we to feel sorry for the fact he got caught?
                    He has a wife and two small children, had he been single I don't think anyone would have blinked an eye at his trysts.
                    I totally concur. My sympathies go out to Tiger's two kids. They're the true victims of all this.

Tiger made his own bed. Actually several. I'm not going to shed a tear now that he has to go lie in all of them.

What are fellow golfers saying about the situation?

Jesper Parnevik (introduced Tiger to Elin):

"I would feel especially sad about it because I'm kind of filled with sorrow for Elin since me and my wife are at fault for hooking her up with him," Parnevik said, "and we probably thought he was a better guy than he is, then.

"I would probably have to apologize to her and hope she uses a driver next time instead of a 3-iron," he said of the golf club Nordegren allegedly used to break a window on Woods' crashed SUV. "It's a private thing, of course. But you're the guy he is, when you're the world's best athlete, you should think more before you do stuff and maybe not just do it, like Nike says."
                    Ouch!!! Others weren't as harsh. But at the same time, they didn't make excuses for his behavior. They were also realistic enough to recognize that with the fabulous rewards that come with Tiger Woods' superstar fame, comes the public scrutiny and questioning when a scandal like this does break out.

Todd Hamilton (2004 British Open champion):

"There's a lot of high profile people, that if they do something wrong, people will know about it. It's like I grew up in a small town of 1500 people. If I did something wrong as a kid, the whole town knew about it. And unfortunately for Tiger, the world is his small town."
                    Stever Stricker (3rd ranked golfer in the world):

"I'd like to see him come on TV and just pour it out a little bit, show what's happened a little bit."

"I don't know if that'll ever happen. But people forget and if he just does the right things from here on out, people will forgive him and move on.

"I think his image is going to take a little bit of a shot. I don't think there's any question that he will bounce back but it's going to be hard on him for a while."
                    Is there a lesson learned or what, the Gary Hart's, the John Edwards, it ruined their political careers, but Tiger will still be able to play golf once the dust is settled and I think he is well enough liked as the best golfer in the world perhaps of all time and this will eventually pass.
                    As Stricker said, people will eventually forgive if he does the right things from now on. A large part of doing that "right thing" will be salvaging his marriage and keeping his family intact, like Bill Clinton (who is White) and Kobe Bryant (who is Black) has been able to do, thus far. Fame and the accompanying scrutiny it brings plays no favorites when it comes to race.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 3, 2009, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      [...]
                      Oh yeah. Make fun. Trash up-and-coming minorities. You want to keep them down where they belong????[...]
                      Do you really feel this thread has crossed over the racist line? Do you not feel that Tiger is under so much scrutiny because he's the most famous athlete in the world? This isn't about race, Kaonohi. If it was, Tiger wouldn't be the beloved figure he has been for so many years. He's an extremely famous man who had a squeakly clean image...'til now. His behavior is probably a 180 from what the majority of us thought he was capable of. Where does the color of his skin come into play?

Comment

My one encounter with Tiger:

Tiger Woods was a participant in the Skin Games over Thanksgiving with Freddy Couples and Anika Sorenstam at the country club I was living a few years ago. My father was a lifelong golfing addict and shot a low handicap at one time. He was visiting us over Thanksgiving and to watch the Skins Game in person. My Dad was in his late 80's and not very mobile, so I pushed him around the golf course in a wheel chair, but because of that, we always got a front row seat at each green. At the finish of one hole, Tiger walked right passed us. Tiger has always been known as being aloof from the fans, never acknowledging anyone. As Tiger walked pass, my Dad said, "Nice putt, Tiger." Tiger responded, "Thank you, sir." The gallery gasped and broke out in applause. My father was beaming ear to ear. It was a nice act of kindness.

Freddy Couples turned out to be the real crowd pleaser. He would walk up to people and talk story between putts, even sign autographs. He was unflappable. The man didn't have a care in the world. At one tee, he told the gallery, "I'm going to drive this one close to the pin, either the 2nd or the 17th, I'm not sure yet!" He also won the tournament and close to $1M which he donated to charity!
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'm sure I'm going to get beaten down for this one, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I don't get what the big deal about this is anymore. He cheated. Yes, that sucks. I feel bad for his wife and kids. And yes, he brought emotional pain and suffering to them. But you know what? There are so many worse things he could have done. He didn't kill anyone. He didn't beat anyone up. He didn't extort money or cause thousands of people to lose their jobs. He didn't torture and rape anyone. He's a guy who cheated. It's happened to millions of women. Doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make Tiger the worst guy in the world, either.

Put it in perspective, people.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I agree, surlygirly.

Comment

Charles Barkley said many years ago "I'm Not a Role Model, it seems in some ways it gave him a Get out of Jail Free Card in the public court of opinion because he admits to smoking, drinking, gambling and cheating on his wife and just recently he was caught soliciting a prostitute. I get it Charles you are not a role model and that is just fine you told us all so it's not like we have any expectations of anything more or less, it's practically written on your forehead.

Now we assume Tiger Woods wife trusted him, unless of course he was allowed to have an open relationship, I think not because of the car accident that appears to have happened following what was likely a domestic spat.

Many are dissappointed in Tiger because they trusted him to be a good role model to kids, because well, he has grown up before our very own eyes, from the time he showed talk show host Mike Douglas his golf moves as a toddler to his rise in the golf ranks thru his teenage years, Stanford years, his years as a pro, he is loved and adored around the world. I think it is safe to say more people are interested in golf, including children because of him. He showed character and desire winning a major tournament with a bum knee a few years back, he was well respected and liked by so many people. And he made a mistake, what I think bothers many is that it appears he has been making numerous mistakes in cheating on his wife, not just one mistress, but several. Sure men cheat, and it is also wrong to put celebrities on pedestal's because they are after all human. But maybe some of us had hope out there that we thought we had a guy who was an upstanding citizen that had a beautiful wife, with children who made millions of dollars playing a sport he obviously loved. It goes back to trust, because he is such an adored public figure not only is there sympathy towards his wife but I think at least some of us feel a bit cheated on by him as well.

Comment

It wasn't as if he'd made just one mistake, either. Of the known mistresses, three, one lasted more than two years.

That's not 'a mistake'.
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X