Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend a laptop for my wife?

I'll second for a Mac

My 4 year old Powerbook is still going strong with nothing but a single OS upgrade (which wasn't necessary). I paid dearly for it, but in the time I've had it I've seen my niece go through two "cheap" laptops. The only work I do on it is with Excel worksheets, so compatibility has never been a problem. The interface & user experience has been explained by others far better than I can, but yeah they are that good.

Price

There it is, the 800 lb gorilla in the room. You will pay a premium, but when reliability, ease of use, & user experience is factored in, I think it's worth it. Now, add the discount you can get by buying http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTM3NDY2NTI a refurbished Mac. How about $899 for a new Macbook? Or a Macbook Pro for $1449? Still high, but less than retail...and ya always pay retail for a Mac.

I'm a PC guy at work and am happy with that. At home we are a Mac family. And even with the added expense, I know my next laptop will be a refurbished Macbook Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      HP - Cons - Cheap components.
      Craig, what would be the more important but yet easier/less costly "cheap" componants worth upgrading?
      Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
      There it is, the 800 lb gorilla in the room. You will pay a premium.
      Thing with Mac's is you're paying nearly half the high price for the sexy. If not for that, we'd be able to get them at competitive prices with the better PCs.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        Craig, what would be the more important but yet easier/less costly "cheap" componants worth upgrading?
        Thing with Mac's is you're paying nearly half the high price for the sexy. If not for that, we'd be able to get them at competitive prices with the better PCs.
        RAM and Hard drive. That's about all you can upgrade on most laptops anyway without having to dive into the unit. Most laptops can access the hard drive without taking it apart.

As for Mac's sexy skin, I agree if they built it more practical instead of a piece of art I'm sure they could drop the price quite a bit.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

anapuni, today was a weird day; when we went to costco, i didn't see the toshiba so i asked the guy in charge of that area and he said, "we don't carry any toshibas" and i told him that there was one model that my wife and i looked at; he denied it and rather than fight over it, i just gave up. bottom line: it's no longer there! but if you're interested, you can order a couple of toshibas from their website:

http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...=en-US&topnav=

please let me know what you decide to do ;-)

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          if you DO get the Toshiba - please let me know what model & the cost? I'm very interested in making this purchase!
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

well, I can tell you that I won't be ordering one from the Costco website - I'm not a member. I'm just watching the sale prices at BestBuy and will get it there, probably next week or the week after. Or maybe wait til beginning of the year when prices go down again..
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

if the costco price is much better, let me know and i could always order it for you; of course, you'd have to pay for it but i'd be happy to help.
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

thanks - I do have access to Costco thru my brother so I can get him to take me. But so far - they don't have the best prices.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  I'm just watching the sale prices at BestBuy and will get it there, ..
                  Sorry for the non-kamaaina question, but where is BestBuy located in Honolulu?
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Get one on Kalakawa near Nimitz, and one in Pearl City 1 long block ewa of the mall.

Per Best Buy, try hit up a deal making mgr. with the lowest price you know of that they can verify on line, and they'll probably match it. Have the website available. Got my P&S camera that way for $5 under what they had it on sale for. $5 is no big deal, but on other items you could walk out with a bigger smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      Get one on Kalakawa near Nimitz, and one in Pearl City 1 long block ewa of the mall.

Per Best Buy, try hit up a deal making mgr. with the lowest price you know of that they can verify on line, and they'll probably match it. Have the website available. Got my P&S camera that way for $5 under what they had it on sale for. $5 is no big deal, but on other items you could walk out with a bigger smile.
                      Ron that's Alakawa. If you're heading Ewa bound (west bound) on Nimitz Highway, turn right onto Alakawa. As you drive up Alakawa Best Buy will be on the left side opposite of Home Depot.

Isn't there a new Fry's up at the old Costco Salt Lake location? I'd think Fry's would have the best pricing and selection.

Comment

DOH!

Thanx, Craig!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Isn't there a new Fry's up at the old Costco Salt Lake location?.
                          Fry's........on Oahu? Be still, my heart!

Next you're going to be telling me you have Ikea, Cost Plus, Trader Joes, and In 'n Out Burger!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Nope - to all of the above
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Ana, I talked to TJ management in California about a potential Hawaii location and they said it's just not going to happen and they won't be selling computers either (just to keep it on topic).

Comment

my bad. My brother told me he thought he saw one in Honolulu on his last visit

Comment

Working...
                                X