DVD Easter Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Easter Eggs

I just found out about 'easter eggs' on DVDs. I never knew these things existed. Why do they have to hide these things?

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
    I just found out about 'easter eggs' on DVDs. I never knew these things existed. Why do they have to hide these things?
    So you can have the fun of finding 'em. Now, all those DVD's you've already watched and filed away just might have another treat waiting for you.

Maybe we should start a thread about favorite DVD easter eggs?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
      [...]
      Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      [...]
      Maybe we should start a thread about favorite DVD easter eggs?
      I don't even know what you 2 are talking about!

Comment

Secret goodies that are embedded on DVD that pop up unexpectedly, I think..., I've not found one yet.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          I don't even know what you 2 are talking about!
          Here, let me use other cultural references.

Remember the Monty Python "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" LP that had two separate tracks on one side? Depending on where you put the record needle, you'd hear one of two separate sets of comedy routines. Unless you knew what to look for, or unless you randomly hit upon it, you'd never know it existed.

"Mario Brothers" (and most other video games) had similar tricks. If you hit a certain combination of controller buttons at the right places then you'd get unexpected treasures (or unpleasant surprises).

Easter eggs are similar gimmicks...
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

One common way to find an "easter egg" is to put the DVD in and wait for the main menu to come up. You know how you can use arrow keys to select the option you wish, like "Chapters" or "Play All" or "Audio Setup"? Well, sometimes, you can point an arrow in a direction where you don't see a choice (like to the right or left, when all the options seem to be in an up-and-down list) and it will "light up" something else on the screen, like a little window or a logo. If that happens, then choose Play and you've just opened an easter egg. You might find bonus content, like a trivia game, or a blooper reel, or just a creative display of the DVD creation credits.

Websites like this one list hundreds of eggs that people have found and reported, and how to get to them. Go wild!

Comment

Oh Lordy...between Nords and Leo I feel so...so...ummm, ancient and untechie! *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Oh Lordy...between Nords and Leo I feel so...so...ummm, ancient and untechie! *sigh*
                It's okay you're not the only one. Now I know what DVD 'eggs' are too!
                Still don't understand why things would be hidden though?
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post

"Mario Brothers" (and most other video games) had similar tricks. If you hit a certain combination of controller buttons at the right places then you'd get unexpected treasures (or unpleasant surprises).
                  Who can forget the blood code in Mortal Combat?

The other day a friend of mine were talking about how CDs used to have "hidden tracks" that weren't listed on the track list, and you'd only find out about them if you let the CD keep playing after the last song. Would those be considered Easter Eggs too?
                  Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                  Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    It's okay you're not the only one. Now I know what DVD 'eggs' are too!
                    Same here. Never heard that term before. But the concept reminds me of playing the Beatles album backwards.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                      The other day a friend of mine were talking about how CDs used to have "hidden tracks" that weren't listed on the track list, and you'd only find out about them if you let the CD keep playing after the last song. Would those be considered Easter Eggs too?
                      Years ago when Nirvana’s “Nevermind” came out, the CD had a buried track about 10 minutes after the last song. A friend of mine bought the CD popped it in the player and hit the random button. A song or two played, and then silence. He took the CD back to the record store and told them his copy was messed up. I guess the lesson is to listen to an album the first time, the way the artist / producer intended.

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
                        I would think it would fall under the term, even though you didn't make an effort to find them.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: DVD Easter Eggs

DVD Easter Eggs are something you seek, while CD hidden tracks are usually found by accident --- though it's pretty obvious, if the "remaining time" counter shows several minutes remaining after (what you thought was) the last song is done.

Hmmm...something you seek (in a yard) versus something you find by accident (in a yard) --- I think I might have a new name for hidden tracks.

Comment

I recall my old PDA had a stupid Easter Egg that when triggered caused a cartoon car to go across the screen at random intervals.

Also,now when watching DVD movies I Always stay past the ending credits, because of "Pirates of the Caribbean."
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Also,now when watching DVD movies I Always stay past the ending credits, because of "Pirates of the Caribbean."
                              I always stay in the theatre through all the credits, because of "The Muppet Movie."

Comment

Working...
                              X