Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 52nd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music nominees

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    QUOTING ERIC GILLIOM (need that to be in there to show this is NOT LikaNui's statement): "And the Grammy Goes to .... You guessed it Daniel Ho...... That's 4 years in a row he has "beat out" the biggest talents in Hawaii... He's not winning on the merits of his music but his connections to voters...
    Daniel Ho, as one of several producers on these winning compilations, "wins" the award, as producers get it for compilations. The artists who have appeared on "his" winning releases include:
    George Kahumoku, Jr.
    Dennis Kamakahi
    Sonny Lim
    Keoki Kahumoku
    Owana Salazar
    Kawika Kahiapo
    Jeff Peterson
    Daniel Ho
    Richard Ho’opi’i
    Bobby Ingano
    Ledward Kaapana
    Cyril Pahinui
    Martin Pahinui
    Da ‘Ukulele Boyz
    Sterling Seaton
    Ozzie Kotani

I want the "Eric Gilliom"s of the world to tell me that these people don't represent Hawaiian music.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    when this discussion first started I suggested that the award needs to be split into both vocal & instrumental categories. (see post #3).
    Of the six albums that have won the Grammy for Best Hawaiian Album, only one is all instrumental. The remainder are about half vocal/half instrumental, except for Daniel Ho/Tia Carrere's from last year, which is almost all vocal.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    AGAIN, QUOTING E.G.: Daniel Ho? 5 Grammys.
    He's not even humble enough to acknowledge the weight, Value & importance of stepping aside for the... true Icons that have defined Hawaiis music for decades.
    Obviously, Eric is not familiar with the story behind the song, "Ho‘opomaika‘i." It was written (by Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman) after the Grammy win for "`Ikena," to honor those to whom they owe their careers, their skills and their successes. In Amy's words, "In our moments of celebration, we honor aloha given and received."

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      when this discussion first started I suggested that the award needs to be split into both vocal & instrumental categories. (see post #3).
      I keep forgetting to mention that I actually think it's a lovely idea - but it won't happen. Unfortunately, there are barely enough submissions each year to sustain a single Hawaiian-music category, much less multiple ones. Fortunately, for a more complex breakdown into the different categories, you have the Nā Hōkū Hanohano Awards.
      Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      And what does he mean about the importance of Daniel Ho "stepping aside?" Is he publically calling for a fellow artist to withhold submitting their work so as to win a Grammy by default?
      You are right on the mark, FM. Would anyone have suggested that John Williams stop submitting his film scores, because he's already won 21? Sir Georg Solti has 31 - and he's the conductor, not even one of the people playing an instrument. How about Polka king Jimmy Sturr, who has 18 (and that category has since been removed)? Alison Krauss has 27 - at age 38, should she stop competing now?

I remember in 1976, when Paul Simon won the Album of the Year Grammy for "Still Crazy After All These Years," he said: "I'd like to thank Stevie Wonder, who didn't release an album this year." Wonder took home the award in 1974 for "Innervisions" and in 1975 for "Fulfillingness' First Finale." Wonder won it again in 1977 for "Songs in the Key of Life."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        I keep forgetting to mention that I actually think it's a lovely idea - but it won't happen.
        I was trying to envision this last night, and what I pictured was an instrumental Daniel Ho anthology called Masters of Hawaiian Slack-Key Guitar, Vol. _____ winning the instrumental Grammy and a Led Kaapana album winning the vocal Grammy. I think that would be great, so mark me as changing my vote. Led's voice isn't as sweet as Sonny's, but he does well enough to suit me.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          I keep forgetting to mention that I actually think it's a lovely idea - but it won't happen. Unfortunately, there are barely enough submissions each year to sustain a single Hawaiian-music category, much less multiple ones. Fortunately, for a more complex breakdown into the different categories, you have the Nā Hōkū Hanohano Awards.
          You're right. But that won't silence the critics of the Grammy process. Since the Hawaiian-music Grammy category was created, some really vocal critics have started downplaying the significance of Na Hoku awards, which I think is so wrong. But sadly, that's how some people think nowadays: The Grammy is all that matters, while Na Hoku awards are like consolation prizes. And not surprisingly, those are the same folks who have come to resent Daniel Ho.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            You're right. But that won't silence the critics of the Grammy process. Since the Hawaiian-music Grammy category was created, some really vocal critics have started downplaying the significance of Na Hoku awards, which I think is so wrong. But sadly, that's how some people think nowadays: The Grammy is all that matters, while Na Hoku awards are like consolation prizes. And not surprisingly, those are the same folks who have come to resent Daniel Ho.
            Again, you are right, FM. (Oh, don't be so shocked, people! I agree with FM more often than I disagree!) I do appear to be in a very small group - mainland voters in both academies (NARAS & HARA); but there are definitely several here, primarily on the western coast, and we do what we can to help broaden mainland knowledge about the complexities of Hawaiian music, that there is much more than Don Ho, Hawai`i Calls and slack key. But the disrespectful noise coming from some corners does far more damage than good to that mission.

Comment

Last night was the return of Jay Leno to The Tonight Show and his first guest was Jamie Foxx. They got to talking about his performance at the Grammy awards and Jamie was describing how the performance started with "a guy" singing a couple lines of opera and then "a girl" singing a couple lines of opera and then Jamie kicking in.
              So much for publicity for Eric Gilliom and Amy Haniali`i.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
              X