52nd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music nominees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 52nd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music nominees

I hope Amy wins... but Tia will probably win again... ala Milli Vanilli... heh heh

Comment

Originally posted by Maduro View Post
      Tia will probably win again... ala Milli Vanilli...
      Meaning what? Tia does her own singing, so - I'm not getting the joke here.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Meaning what? Tia does her own singing, so - I'm not getting the joke here.
        Heavens to Betsy, Leo. Where have you been? Everybody knows that Tia's vocal track was actually performed by....... Frank De Lima.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Heavens to Betsy, Leo. Where have you been? Everybody knows that Tia's vocal track was actually performed by....... Frank De Lima.
          Oh, man - I was taken in again!?!? I tell ya, if this music biz weren't so warm and fuzzy, I'd move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Everybody knows that Tia's vocal track was actually performed by....... Frank De Lima.
            Of course it was. It's a little-known secret, but Tia and Frank are identical twins.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Eric Gilliom is exposing some Hawaiian Grammy pilikia on Facebook. And...he's P!$$ED! And it appears he has every right to be. Wow! (Yes, I know he's nominee, Amy's, brother!) Dunno if it's acceptable 'netiquette to quote from FB to HT so I'll refrain!

Comment

I dunno, late mebbie?

Any way....here's the noms off the Grammy site:

http://www.grammy.com/nominees?categ...an-music-album

Comment

* Friends & Family Of Hawai`i
                  Amy Hanaiali`i
                  [UA Records]

I haven't been here in a while, but i just wanted to chime in and say I bought/downloaded this album on iTunes. I like it, the big selling point was the duet with Rebel Souljahz and the the duet with Willie Nelson.

Every since I bought my iPod, I spend money at iTunes to support the island artists. Man, I wish I was back home.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Eric Gilliom is exposing some Hawaiian Grammy pilikia on Facebook. And...he's P!$$ED! And it appears he has every right to be. Wow! (Yes, I know he's nominee, Amy's, brother!) Dunno if it's acceptable 'netiquette to quote from FB to HT so I'll refrain!
                    Just curious, since I'm not on FB ... does this have to do with the availability of "samples" for voters to listen to?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Just curious, since I'm not on FB ... does this have to do with the availability of "samples" for voters to listen to?
                      Yes.......

Comment

Thanks, Sue. It's tough to know the full story, as the album that is accused of holding up the process did involve so many participants, and permission would need to be gathered from everyone. Good thing I already have everything to listen to in hand (and have had since their release).

When Amy was here in concert last week, she commented on her (fourth) Grammy nomination, and said she wondered if this would be the year that the award "came home to Hawai`i." I understand her issue, but that's not really fair to the Hawai`i-based artists whose work has been celebrated with past awards, especially George Kahumoku, Jr. As a Producer on some of those past compilations, he got the physical award from the Recording Academy - and on his own, had duplicates made for all the artists involved.

Comment

I admit I'm completely ignorant in the subject of music awards in general and the Grammys in particular. But I wonder why allowing samples isn't mandatory and a condition of submission.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            But I wonder why allowing samples isn't mandatory and a condition of submission.
                            Perhaps it will be, in the future, especially if formal complaints are filed over the process as it stands. It's a recent aspect of the Awards - I think this is only the second or third year samples have been available to members, for assistance in making their selections.

Comment

Eric removed everything (about Daniel) from his Facebook page a few days ago. Apparently Eric learned he was wrong.
                              There's a big story about the "sample mess" in today's Advertiser at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Nice. It's good that this all came out straight. The flak that's been flung in recent years is not helpful to the cause of Hawaiian music.

Comment

Working...
                                X