Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone is running Linux?

Originally posted by pzarquon
    I've also tried to keep up with bootable CD distributions, particularly Knoppix, because, frankly, it's amazing that you can run a PC from a CD (when Windows would require twenty CDs for essentially the same functionality). When your computer dies, you can whip out one of these CDs and still get into the nuts and bolts.
    I've been running my PC off of a Knoppix boot CD for weeks now, because my WinXP install has been giving me too many headaches. When I get around to it, I'm reformatting and reinstalling WinXP from scratch, but until then Knoppix gets the job done. Only problem is, I don't have NTFS read-write access. I understand there are Linux tools that do this, but I haven't found what I'm looking for: a Linux boot CD with a GUI and no-hassles NTFS read-write access. By "no hassles", I mean that I need something that will automatically mount all drives without my input. Is that asking too much?

Comment

NTFS in Linux is in a pretty sad state. Read support has been around forever, but the very best "write support" you can get right now as a file system for regular usage is allowing you to change bytes in existing files (not make new ones or extend files and so on). I think it's mostly used for these Linux installs that run inside a container file on your Windows partition. I was trying to use Knoppix to recover a crashed W2K at work and was pretty dismayed about that. I heard there's something underway to fix this now but I haven't seen it yet.

There's a set of user-space utilities to access NTFS, and that might support writing, but it's probably pretty inconvenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
        NTFS in Linux is in a pretty sad state. Read support has been around forever, but the very best "write support" you can get right now as a file system for regular usage is allowing you to change bytes in existing files (not make new ones or extend files and so on). I think it's mostly used for these Linux installs that run inside a container file on your Windows partition. I was trying to use Knoppix to recover a crashed W2K at work and was pretty dismayed about that. I heard there's something underway to fix this now but I haven't seen it yet.

There's a set of user-space utilities to access NTFS, and that might support writing, but it's probably pretty inconvenient.
        Actually you can get full read write support using fuse and ntfs-3g. Its super easy to setup and and works perfectly. heres the link http://lunapark6.com/?p=1710 . Even though ntfs 3-g is still in beta i've been using it for about a month with no problems.

on a side not I ditched suse because it was too inflated and I didn't need half of the config tools, since command line worked while the tools hardly worked so i'm back on ubuntu again which has improved alot since I last used it, so much so that I use it exclusively on my laptop
        Last edited by Cameron; August 11, 2006, 10:11 AM.
        808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
        kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
        http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Working...
        X