Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road runner only service get cable stations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road runner only service get cable stations?

I'm thinking of doing the road runner only service at my house..i've heard that you get some stations but not all of the basic cable. anyone have any more input on this? I'm just hoping that I get most of the basic cable and don't need to pay additional for it....doing the computer dvr thing to hook up to my tv...

thanks
    'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Re: Road runner only service get cable stations?

You're not going to get any of their services for free! You get the tiers you pay for - and that includes the phone too. Go for satellite - it's better service and lots more channels. We have Direct TV here. Oh, and it doesn't cost as much as Oceanic.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by bitachu View Post
      I'm thinking of doing the road runner only service at my house..i've heard that you get some stations but not all of the basic cable. anyone have any more input on this? I'm just hoping that I get most of the basic cable and don't need to pay additional for it....doing the computer dvr thing to hook up to my tv...

thanks
      If installed correctly there will be a filter on to block the channels out.

RR runs on a specific frequency (i.e. 591Mhz) so they just put a filter that only allows that frequency. Some techs may be lazy and put a filter that allows some channels to still come through (i.e. if the tech for some reason doesn't have the correct filter on his truck, maybe he just puts a different one to call it a day)
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
        RR runs on a specific frequency (i.e. 591Mhz) so they just put a filter that only allows that frequency. Some techs may be lazy and put a filter that allows some channels to still come through (i.e. if the tech for some reason doesn't have the correct filter on his truck, maybe he just puts a different one to call it a day)
        Our street had "standard" cable at "basic" rates for nearly three years before Oceanic figured it out.

It almost made up for their alleged "customer service".
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Our Choice:

Standard Road Runner Service.
          Digital Phone, Standard Cable Service includes 75 channels $114.00.

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; December 6, 2009, 06:05 AM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Our Choice:

Standard Road Runner Service.
            Digital Phone, Standard Cable Service includes 75 channels $114.00.

Auntie Lynn
            You might want to try calling TWC and threaten that you are going to switch to the HT bundle to save some money. A lot of times they will give you a "retention" rate for 6 months to a year, as long as you haven't gotten this special rate in the last year...

I've negotiated $140 bills down to $99 before

Comment

You might want to try calling TWC and threaten that you are going to switch to the HT bundle to save some money. A lot of times they will give you a "retention" rate for 6 months to a year, as long as you haven't gotten this special rate in the last year...

I've negotiated $140 bills down to $99 before
              Thank you very much for the information.

WE are in the process of moving.

In fact, we'll be out this Saturday. I'll call this morning and let them know.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If installed correctly there will be a filter on to block the channels out.

Oceanic's getting smarter at locating where the filter is installed. At a friends home the incoming service line went into a locked plastic box where the filter was attached then the wire continued out to the home's interior.

You can actually buy the tool to bypass the filter's collar that protects the F-connector from being unthreaded at Home Depot. That collar is the anti-tamper device. Once removed a simple male to male F-connector adapter (which you can also buy at Home Depot) connects the two RF connections and suddenly you get Standard cable instead of basic.

Be warned though doing this is considered a felony charge of Utility Theft which carries a maximum penalty of $5,000 and/or 5-years imprisonment if caught.

Back OT, you can get the Road Runner Only package from Oceanic. But in doing so, you'll also get the basic cable service. It can't be helped and this results is a benefit for the customer.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the day when Hawaii will be a free market....you think that will every happen?
                  kiddori

Comment

Hawaii definitely needs to have a telephone company offer fiber-optic television and internet for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                      Hawaii definitely needs to have a telephone company offer fiber-optic television and internet for starters.
                      The likelihood of this happening is pretty much nil. Hawaiian Telcom recently exited bankruptcy. In addition they've gotten the short end from the various corporate owners over the years (GTE, Verizon, Carlyle). Thus we'll be stuck with archaic cooper loops for the foreseeable future.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                        The likelihood of this happening is pretty much nil. Hawaiian Telcom recently exited bankruptcy. In addition they've gotten the short end from the various corporate owners over the years (GTE, Verizon, Carlyle). Thus we'll be stuck with archaic cooper loops for the foreseeable future.
                        Archaic copper can still offer 20-50Mbs

you'll be in for a surprise in 2010

Comment

Archaic copper can still offer 20-50Mbs

you'll be in for a surprise in 2010
                          Hmmm, only if you live really close to the central office or remote terminal. For example, you have to live 5,000 wire feet from CO to get Hawaiian Telcom's 11Mbps service, 8,000 for 7Mbps , 13,000 for 3Mbps, and 18,000 for 1.5Mbps.

I'd hate to know the distance limitation for 20-50Mbps service. You'd pretty much have to co-locate in the CO.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                            Hmmm, only if you live really close to the central office or remote terminal. For example, you have to live 5,000 wire feet from CO to get Hawaiian Telcom's 11Mbps service, 8,000 for 7Mbps , 13,000 for 3Mbps, and 18,000 for 1.5Mbps.

I'd hate to know the distance limitation for 20-50Mbps service. You'd pretty much have to co-locate in the CO.
                            Those speeds are based on ADSL technology.

don't forget about ADSL2+ and VDSL

Comment

DSL, regardless of the variant, has a distance limitation. The longer the copper loop, the more the signal degrades. Thus, you pretty much will have to live in the CO to get the 20-50Mbps speeds.

Hawaiian Telcom is using ADSL 2+ as far as I understand.

Copper loops= bad
                              Fiber To The Home=good
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X