Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Driving Pet Peeves

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
    We are referring to my post (Post #18) on the MUTCD of regulatory signs, which thereby makes the "Slower Traffic" sign trump the speed-limit-driver.

White sign, black letters (Regulatory): tells you what to do.
    Yellow sign, black letters (Advisory): advises you that this is the engineer's recommendation.

To answer my own question on how to handle "persons who impede traffic" by "going the speed limit" and not the safe engineered speed of traffic:
    I am a #1 lane driver because I know I "pass" people on the left... continually. If a "slow" driver is in the fast lane, I will tail and hint that they have 10 seconds to obey the Regulatory sign to KEEP RIGHT. If they don't, I pass them on the right with my tires on the lane line, and then cut them off. I flash the Hazard lights warning them they are more of a danger to the road than I just was. Then, I continue on my way to my destination at "REASONABLE AND PRUDENT SPEED" ensuring the safety and efficiency of traffic, within the spirit of the speed limit buffer. (I'm a downtown Los Angeleno Californian; I'm a better trained driver than you.)

I'm almost tempted to drive in front of them, then slow down to 40, just long enough to piss them off and make them merge right in an attempt to pass me. Then I speed up and continue on my way, solving the freeway's problem by getting the impeding driver's car out of the fast lane.

I gave up Law Enforcement to pursue a career that paid more than scraps. But that doesn't mean I still don't think that even Slow Drivers fall under the category of "Unsafe Speeders." In California, there's an impeding law. If on a highway and more than 5 cars are behind you because you're holding them up, you MUST pull to the right and allow them to pass, regardless of your speed. California Highway Patrol has, and does ticket for that. It still falls under C.V.C 22350 Unsafe Speed.
    You're kidding me right? You tell me I'm the one trying to enforce laws and then you fire off that post?

Sounds as if you're the one trying to enforce traffic laws by virtue of your post. If someone attempted to do as you suggested you would, I would be on the phone calling the police (with my hands free set up of course).

And excuse me but this is Hawaii Threads and your post is described as "Hawaii Driving Pet Peeves" so it is implied that we're not talking statuates in California but here in Hawaii. I'm sorry but if the posted speed limit is the speed I'm going, take me to court. I can't be cited for driving the speed limit. There is a fundamental assumption here that driving the speed limit is the law and I'm within the law while speeders who feel it's too slow is in fact breaking them and punishable in any traffic court. A police officer tagging me instead of going after speeders is not upholding his duty to protect law abiding citizens like myself and can be held accountable for his indescretion.

I'm sorry but posted speed limits are just that POSTED and speed LIMITS. Drive over it and you are subject to speeding laws IN ANY STATE. Drive within it and no traffic court can hold you guilty of breaking any law. I'll take it to the Supreme court because it's clearly black and white here.

And you say you were in Law Enforcement? If you conducted yourself in that manner in uniform, you'd be out of that career in a heartbeat unless it wasn't with any county police.

And please...I've been driving for over 30-years in traffic not within the confines of this country. I've also raced professionally in strip, circle and slalom. I know how to drive both defensively and accurately. You don't do stunts like you've described on public roadways, save that for the exhibition driving circuits.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; December 10, 2009, 10:01 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Keep right laws:
      http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Hawaii's specific rule:
      http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur...0291C-0041.htm

Additional link to the same rule:
      http://www.duihawaii.com/chapter_291c.htm

2001 article covering similar argument:
      http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...kokualine.html

Granted my time was limited, but driving from Los Angeles, California to Seattle, Washington and back (coast and I-5 respectively) over a 1.5 week trip, drivers were much more responsible and better educated than here on Oahu.

********* Added ********
      Lane Courtesy / Driving Ethics:
      http://www.motorists.org/lanecourtesy/

Specifically: http://www.motorists.org/lanecourtes...e-speed-limit/
      Last edited by DaFerret; December 10, 2009, 03:05 PM. Reason: addendum

Comment

It may be fantasy to be an idealist and hope that everyone abides by rules and laws all the time, but the real world, the realist wins.

There is a simple truth to the fact that black-and-white fails and discretion wins. Who are the biggest violators of the laws? THE ONES WHO WRITE THEM AND THE ONES WHO ENFORCE THEM. They know what the buffers are. They know that a simple flash of a badge or a political ID card grants them professional courtesy. I guarantee you that no Judge drives the speed limit (or cop for that matter), and should he get pulled over, the cop won't be dumb enough to write a judge a ticket.

Secondly, falling on realism, HPD won't give that call for service the time of day. Honolulu Advertiser may make them look like they're proactive, but they are very reactive. They would rather wait for an accident then to send a patrol car to the last place it was called to. A call for service, from the moment of phone call to the moment the dispatcher sends a unit, can be as high as 20 minutes if the priority of the call is low (such as this example). This is why calling the police for "wreckless drivers" is really two people tying up an emergency phone line. (Should they actually take that call, they would have to witness the infraction in progress in order to have probable cause to pull that car over anyway.) Besides, if I knew it worked, I'd be on the phone every time I drive, and I'd make it a personal quota to target at least 5 cars per trip. But I'm a realist, and that crap doesn't happen. Therefore, the opinion that every other driver is bad falls under this portion of the pet peeve.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
          Keep right laws:
          2001 article covering similar argument:
          http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...kokualine.html
          This article is good. They are the opinions of others who drive here, and many other people on these boards agree.

Comment

The following is a continually refreshing link to the Honolulu PD traffic website: http://www4.honolulu.gov/hpdtraffic/

At the time of this posting (covering a span of 5 hours), there were over 30 collisions, 10 stalls, 10 traffic nuisances/parking violations, and 13 calls for hazardous drivers.

Priority 1 and 2 calls will be the accidents (because they have the potential for injury or hazard). I'm willing to bet not one of the 13 hazardous driver calls were found. The police are stretched thin enough already when it comes to transportation, especially when a collision eats up anywhere between 3-8+ units for 2-3 hours at a time.

Comment

In the Star-Bulletin, Honolulu police Capt. Bryan Wauke responded:

By law, "slower" drivers should keep to the right. Section 291C-41(b) of the Hawaii Revised Statutes addresses the topic of driving on the right side: "Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway."

(Emphasis mine)

Please note: "normal" speed, not the speed limit. If you are going slower than the other traffic, more right!

K?
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

A new one. This is more of a pedestrian pet peeve:

When you're in a parking lot and you see a car with white backup lights on, and rear-ward motion... DON'T WALK BEHIND THE CAR BACKING OUT OF THE SPACE!

The law of gross-tonnage is in the car's favor, but your stupidity makes it the driver's fault for hitting you.

A car is easy to see. It's big and has headlights, and it will either stop to take that parking space, or it will continue on knowing it's visible enough for the driver backing out to see it. A pedestrian is a ninja all the way up until they show up in the rear-view mirror or windshield within inches of hitting them. Don't be stupid.

Comment

Don't be stupid.
                  Don't let 'em put I HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY on your tombstone, as my madda used ta say.

Comment

I can't stand it when someone is doing 90 in the fast lane.

...and doesn't move over when I want to pass.

Comment

I hate it when you're walking in the white zebra-striped zone near the front of a store (the area clearly designated for pedestrians, giving them the right of way) and cars zoom thru the parking lot, nearly running you over. Or slowly crawl by, still making you stand and wait, especially when it's really hot or really cold or raining. You're sheltered in a car, presumably with AC or heat, and I'm standing out in the elements. Thanks, jerk!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                        I hate it when you're walking in the white zebra-striped zone near the front of a store (the area clearly designated for pedestrians, giving them the right of way) ...
                        That's news to me, SG. I knew the striped areas indicated walkways, of course, but I never knew that also gave pedestrians any right of way.
                        I must be dumb, cuz I always wait for a break in the traffic to walk across. To my mind that benefits everyone by keeping the traffic flow moving.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

After doing an internet search, the best answer I can find is that the diagonal stripes generally give right of way to pedestrians. I'm sorry if I got the exact law incorrect. In my opinion, this is also the courteous thing to do, especially when it is raining or the weather is one extreme or the other. Most drivers here will yield, but my peeve is with the drivers who drive at a high rate of speed through the parking lot, not watching out for those crossing with grocery carts, etc. I know we got distracted by laws, but I was responding to the original poster's inquiry about pet peeves.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                            After doing an internet search, the best answer I can find is that the diagonal stripes generally give right of way to pedestrians. I'm sorry if I got the exact law incorrect. In my opinion, this is also the courteous thing to do, especially when it is raining or the weather is one extreme or the other. Most drivers here will yield, but my peeve is with the drivers who drive at a high rate of speed through the parking lot, not watching out for those crossing with grocery carts, etc. I know we got distracted by laws, but I was responding to the original poster's inquiry about pet peeves.
                            The courtesy factor works both ways. Usually body language between a pedestrian and a driver making EYE CONTACT will notion who's giving who the right to pass. That's when the flow works. Pedestrians should be smart enough to also cross when another one is in the process of crossing (making this pause more efficient).

What did school teach? "Look both ways before crossing." That is something pedestrians seldom do. They see a white line and think they can walk right into it like as if paint can stop a truck. A car is probably driving through there because in that moment in time, there was no pedestrian present when he was approaching the crosswalk. (There are notable exceptions, of course.) The "ninja" that jumps out from behind a pillar and decides to walk into traffic deserves to be hit. See above posts.

Gauging when a pedestrian is going to cross and when they're going to wait is usually hinted with their pregnant pause at the curb. If I'm driving down the parking lot lane and no one is present within 5-10 feet of the curbline, I'm going to continue. If there is someone at the curbline watching my car, I will (more than likely) stop and let them pass unless I get the wave. I always cover the brake when going through those lanes because of the above mentioned "ninjas." If I'm forced to stop because some ignorant person randomly walks out into a street without paying attention, I will yell out my window that they should look both ways for their safety (naturally in a more angered sarcastic tone), pointing out their intellectual and Darwinistic flaws.

Comment

The courtesy factor works both ways. Usually body language between a pedestrian and a driver making EYE CONTACT will notion who's giving who the right to pass.
                              your post reminds me of a pet peeve i have about drivers who have windows that are so dark you can't see in.

Comment

The courtesy factor works both ways. Usually body language between a pedestrian and a driver making EYE CONTACT will notion who's giving who the right to pass. That's when the flow works. Pedestrians should be smart enough to also cross when another one is in the process of crossing (making this pause more efficient).

What did school teach? "Look both ways before crossing." That is something pedestrians seldom do. They see a white line and think they can walk right into it like as if paint can stop a truck. A car is probably driving through there because in that moment in time, there was no pedestrian present when he was approaching the crosswalk. (There are notable exceptions, of course.) The "ninja" that jumps out from behind a pillar and decides to walk into traffic deserves to be hit. See above posts.

Gauging when a pedestrian is going to cross and when they're going to wait is usually hinted with their pregnant pause at the curb. If I'm driving down the parking lot lane and no one is present within 5-10 feet of the curbline, I'm going to continue. If there is someone at the curbline watching my car, I will (more than likely) stop and let them pass unless I get the wave. I always cover the brake when going through those lanes because of the above mentioned "ninjas." If I'm forced to stop because some ignorant person randomly walks out into a street without paying attention, I will yell out my window that they should look both ways for their safety (naturally in a more angered sarcastic tone), pointing out their intellectual and Darwinistic flaws.
                                I have, too often, seen pedestrians (in a rural area, no less!), walk, no, jaywalk, in front of a bus to get it to stop so they can get on when it makes its stop. (Hui Ulili and Ahuimanu Place).
                                What are these people thinking? The bus driver had to slam on the brakes.

"I'm entitled,and they can't run me over!"?

Like leo said: the epitath: "But I had the right of way!"

K~
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X