Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Eddie surf contest is on, and on TV!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eddie surf contest is on, and on TV!

The Eddie is on!!! And it's on Oceanic channel 250, live!!!
    (To anyone who doesn't know about The Eddie surfing contest, the simplified background is that it's held at Waimea Bay and only on days where the waves are a consistent 40' or higher. I'm sure there's a website about it.)
    You mainlanders can probably find live surf cams on the internet, like at Surfline.com and other sites.
    They expect occasional waves to 50' and even 60', the biggest waves we've had here since 1969.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: The Eddie surf contest is on, and on TV!

Streaming, live...

Comment

Third heat is just starting. Did anyone see Kelly Slater's ride in the last heat? Wave had to be 45' at least, and he rode it all the way in to the beach; scored 98 out of a possible 100 points for that one. Might've just won the meet with it.
      Surfers in each 40-minute heat get a maximum of 4 waves; after 4, you're done.
      Also loved seeing Eddie Aikau's brother Clyde out there in the contest... at 60 years old! Got some good rides. (He won the first contest, in 1986.)
      So far it's been about 10 minutes between giant sets, but they seem to be coming in a bit quicker now. Nice clean faces, since the wind switched to a more normal northeast. (Yesterday was more northerly wind, blowing the waves into ugly faces.)
      I'm loving this! History in the making! Took the day off to watch it.
      And no traffic or parking issues.

Comment

I have been GLUED to this, gets me so damn giddy just watching, amazing amazing stuff!
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Ramon Navarro ROCKS!!! that was a huge wave!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The awards ceremony just finished.
            1st - Greg Long (San Clemente) [/wave to TutuSue]
            2nd - Kelly Slater
            3rd - Sunny Garcia
            4th - Bruce Irons
            5th - Ramon Navarro

Amazingly, the waves just kept getting bigger all day. It was fabulous!!! Kudos to all the contestants and to the lifeguards and rescue jet ski watermen.
            Supposedly there will be a one-hour TV special at some point, so keep your eyes peeled for it.
            I was disappointed that nowhere in today's coverage did they play Bruddah IZ doing "The Men Who Ride Mountains" but maybe it will get on for the TV special.
            Supposedly the HPD estimates are 30,000 people on the beach and the cliffsides around Waimea Bay. Lucky buggahs!

Comment

I was out and about with company most of today while itching to get home to the tv. Stopped in at The Counter for lunch and they had the Eddie on 2 big screen tvs!!! I ate really, really slow!

Comment

I thought Greg Long was from So. Africa? Regardless - his perfect score of 100 on his wave was really something to watch! I spent my day at the office, watching the live stream from Quicksilver - my boss spent the day on the beach, watching live. He will be a very happy camper when he comes in tomorrow.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

AWESOME!

Eddie, wherever he is, must be smiling today.

K
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Ahh! So jealous! I'd give anything to be sitting out there with TG right now. Anyone have pictures? Please, please keep enjoying for me!!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

SG, go here (same place TS sent you) and see their beautiful slideshows and videos. I worked all day yesterday, but it was just as exciting to listen to my coworkers talk about what they saw.

Amazing.

Comment

I was there and it was incredible!!! I even brought my hardcover 'Eddie Would Go" book, and got a surprising amount of autographs!!!
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

How nut's it must have been with traffic being halted for hours due to the road rager that got arrested.
                          Incredible event to witness, and in the water too...
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            I thought Greg Long was from So. Africa?
                            Nope. One of the contestants was, but I forgot which one. Greg Long is definitely from San Clemente.
                            I remember surfing there eons ago, out close to the nuclear power plant. I'm glad I don't glow.

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                            Anyone have pictures?
                            The killer photo was the huge one on the front page of yesterday's Advertiser sports section; the one on the front page of the paper was awesome too. Both papers were full of photos, and the websites for the various TV stations have lots of 'em too.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            I was there and it was incredible!!!
                            Tell us more, please. Like, where did you park and how early did you get there to even find parking?!? I know some residents near the bay were charging up to $50 for people to park on their property. Probably worth the price, considering the 'show' was free.

Comment

okay, We set off from Kaneohe around 11:30, so arrived near Waimea around 1pm. Parked near the foodland, it wasn't too hard because we saw someone leaving their spot at the right time, but traffic was bumper to bumper and moving slooooowly. We carried beer, subway sandwiches, camera, sunscreen and towels down to the beach by the point (opposite side of the bay from the jumping rock, closest to Foodland). We met up with some friends who had gotten there at 6am!!! The beach was packed almost shoulder to shoulder, but everyone was super friendly. Looking back, it was kinda like going to a crowded free concert. As far as people paying for parking, thats nuts! If you were patient and didn't mind walking a little bit, there was plenty of free parking to be found in the afternoon.
                              I had such a fun time!!
                              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                              X