Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magic Island might be named to Barack Obama Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Island might be named to Barack Obama Park?

KITV is reporting that our singing mayor has submitted a proposal to the city council calling for the official name of Magic Island to be changed from Aina Moana Beach Park to President Barack Obama Beach Park.
    Yes. As soon as possible.
    13.16%
    No. Maybe later, depending on his performance.
    28.95%
    No. As in never. Not in a million years.
    57.89%
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Magic Island might be named to Barack Obama Park?

If Magic Island can fix the economy.

Comment

Lessee, is Barack Obummer Magic Johnson as well? Or is that a racist assumption?

K
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

What a very silly idea.

Comment

Why stop at Magic Island?

Change the island of Oahu to the Island Of Obama.

Then kick Mufi off it!
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            KITV is reporting that our singing mayor has submitted a proposal to the city council calling for the official name of Magic Island to be changed from Aina Moana Beach Park to President Barack Obama Beach Park.

Tacky. So tacky.

At public functions, Mufi should wear a t-shirt with "Michelle Wie is from Hawaii!" crossed out and "Obama shook my hand!" hand written in.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

KITV's instant poll ran 8-1 against the idea.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I'm pro-Obama but this idea is just plain ridiculous.

Comment

There Mufi goes again, putting his head up his... Da-kine!

First off, Obummer has to release his long form birth certificate for examination and explain why he spent $2 Million to seal his records from public viewing.

Then, he has to explain why other newspapers around the world referred to him as "Kenyan-born" before he ran for President.

There are just too many unaswered questions for a knucklehead like Mufi to propose such a ridiculous thing. This just makes me more glad I didn't vote for him.

Comment

Mufi's scratching to have any kind of mayoral legacy other than the failures that will haunt him and Hawaii for many years after he's gone off to other tries at office.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

My personal feeling on this:

1) While the formal/official name of the park is Aina Moana, the popular name of Magic Island does have signficance and meaning. And the name is actually educational for children. "Dad, why is this place called Magic Island? Do people perform magic tricks here?" And then the amused parent can explain how the park they are standing on used to be a reef. But through dredging and engineering, this park/penninsula seemed to "magically" appear before people's eyes when the work was done.

2) As far as Hawaii getting on the bandwagon to name something after the 44th President,..... there's no doubt that it's going to happen in the years to come. I'd be surprised if Punahou doesn't name a building in his honor. And in the future, opportunities for the city/state to name a new school or public works project after Obama will present itself. I think it will be easier for people to accept a newly made project named after the Prez, rather than re-naming a very well-known landmark that generations of people have grown up calling "Magic Island."
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Aina Moana? All my life I've lived in Honolulu I've never EVER heard it referred to Aina Moana...Ala Moana I've heard...but then again

As for Barack Obama park? Mufi...are you outta your F*ckin mind?!!!!! Do you really want to lose to Abercrombie?!!!!

My beloved Honolulu has changed to the point where I cannot even recognize city features anymore and now you're considering changing a MAJOR HONOLULU ICON to someone's name who hasn't proved anything yet?

If it had to be done, I'd choose Bumatai park over Obama park anyday of my life. I'd still kill myself after that but at least I wouldn't be rolling in my grave.

If you want to call something after our president, do it to something that doesn't have a name yet like the OBAMA incinerator at Campbell Industrial Park. Or the OBAMA wastewater treatment plant at Sand Island. Or the OBAMA Landfill...oh wait it's already called the Waimanalo Landfill.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Aina Moana? All my life I've lived in Honolulu I've never EVER heard it referred to Aina Moana...Ala Moana I've heard...but then again
                          Frankie has inside information about everything. Doubt him at your peril.

Either that or he's an Oahu-based AI.

Click on the link: Frankie KNOWS!

K
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Aina Moana...jeez I'm sorry but whoever decided to rename Magic Island to Aina Moana must have been smoking weed.

FM you stand corrected, I still can't believe that one came in under the radar
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Are they going to make a replica of his Nobel Prize and put it in the middle of the park for kids to climb on too? Put up a bust of his head? I thought Arkansas was bad with its "Birthplace of President Clinton" signs. And those weren't even that big!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                              X