Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magic Island might be named to Barack Obama Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magic Island might be named to Barack Obama Park?

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
    Are they going to make a replica of his Nobel Prize and put it in the middle of the park for kids to climb on too? Put up a bust of his head? I thought Arkansas was bad with its "Birthplace of President Clinton" signs. And those weren't even that big!
    I really think we should all wait and see if Obama really can walk his talk. He's made some pretty high and mighty talk lately. Now it's time to ante up.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Aina Moana...jeez I'm sorry but whoever decided to rename Magic Island to Aina Moana must have been smoking weed.
      The official name of the park was changed to Aina Moana by the state legislature about 30 or so years ago. This was back in the days when there a cultural movement to re-christen all the parks, beaches, and landmarks that had non-Hawaiian names. A few other examples would include Mokoli'i Island (Chinaman's Hat), Keawaula Beach (Yokohama Bay), and Manana Island (Rabbit Island).

But truth be known, the non-Hawaiian names continue to be used far more often by locals. And that would certainly include Magic Island.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 9, 2009, 06:30 PM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Will he pick-off the pass thrown by Drew Bees to a kid on the White House lawn?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Aina Moana? All my life I've lived in Honolulu I've never EVER heard it referred to Aina Moana...Ala Moana I've heard.
          It is actually 2 parks. Ala Moana Park is that park across the street from the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Aina Moana is of course what most of us call Magic Island, but any permit issued by the City & County for that space says Aina Moana not Magic Island. As to why it's 2 seperate parks I could hazard a guess that certain activies would be allowable on one park but not on the other, for example model boats. You can sail a model boat in the lagoon that is there in Ala Moana Park but it is not allowed in the sheltered pool that is located in Aina Moana Park area.

Comment

Nonsense.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              Nonsense.
              ..Ditto...
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Meh. Rather named him after a landfill than a park.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

To me there is a big difference between "No" and "Maybe later". In any event that's my choice "Maybe later", not "No".

Originally posted by the poll
                  No. Maybe later, depending on his performance
                  As to when either when Mr. Obama leaves the office of the President or when he retires from politics. If someone wants to do something now, maybe a small structure, park bench or picnic area named after him.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    As to when either when Mr. Obama leaves the office of the President or when he retires from politics. If someone wants to do something now, maybe a small structure, park bench or picnic area named after him.
                    How about an outhouse?
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Maybe they can discuss how Obama can make a plan to extract the name by next year, but have no success by the end of his timeline, and then send in a few thousand people to restore Aina Moana, and then possibly withdraw and maybe change the name at some point after a projected victory, win, amount of time, but all the while do it while several people disagree with the plan in the first place.

Or maybe he can enlist the aide of Nancy Pelosi to come to Hawaii, write a 15000 page document on why Aina Moana will change, and how it will help the other 49 states, but not explain how this will actually do it, and hide this vote from the public so that a House Majority of ignoramouses can vote on it and put it into place for everyone's benefit. You'll have to start paying thousands of dollars in taxes NOW, and you won't see the name change until about 2013.

Comment

The overloaded lauding of the prez is simply a series of whoopies! and sighs of relief that this guy Obama just may work out, and at least isn't a complete continuance of the Bush terms which the world was very weary of.

However, in Mufi's case, he's just pre-loading the dice in his continued DC asperations and figuring a big kiss on Obama's butt will help.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

To me there is a big difference between "No" and "Maybe later". In any event that's my choice "Maybe later", not "No".
                          There is a big difference between "No" as in never and "No" but maybe later depending on the President's legacy. Which is why I added seperate choices for the 2 types of no in my poll. (Something that KITV failed to do in their poll, just making it a simple yes or no choice. But hey, I figure the denizens of HT are a bit more sophisticated than that. )

Just to make it clear though, someone who is thinking "maybe later" would essentially still be saying NO to the mayor's proposal that is sitting on the council's table right now. If there's a later movement to change the name of Magic Island (say, the year after President Obama leaves office), then another proposal would have to be drafted.

If a private individual or organization wanted to do that on their own property, they're obviously free to do so. But for the city/state to do that? That would be very tacky, to say the least. It would be far better to wait for a more suitable public project (school, govt. office bldg, etc.) to come around first and then give consideration to naming it after Obama.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

TheMayor defends his proposal to name Magic Island after the President.

Hannemann sent council members a proposal to rename Aina Moana Beach Park (Magic Island) to President Barack Obama Beach Park.

"If I were to go on polls, there is no way that rail would have been built, no way I would have been mayor. I trailed in every poll. I just think we need more understanding. This is a local guy in the presidency, in the White House. It's not often we're going to have that opportunity to name something after him," Hannemann said.
                            All right, folks. The boldfaced part is a perfect example of self-serving political double-talk. What the Mufster really means is, "This might be MY only opportunity to name something after the President and take credit for it before I leave the mayor's office next year to run for Governor."

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                              Meh. Rather named him after a landfill than a park.
                              Nah I think the wastewater treatment plant because this idea is simply Bullsh*t!
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If Hannemann is determined to name something after Obama, how about renaming Blaisdell. I've never taken much to that name, and still sometimes slip into HIC mindset.
                                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X