Hawaii's Worst Moments of This Decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's Worst Moments of This Decade

Kaloko Dam break: people lost their lives due to negligence, arrogance, and lack of accountability all around

Hawaii Superferry: see Kaloko Dam Break

UHM's shot at the BCS: I was proud to see my alma mater in the BCS, but a flawed system relying on subjective selections and media hype set them up for a huge fall

Meth problem: Documentaries shed light on a symptom of larger underlying problems that Hawaii faces and makes little progress in resolving

Aloha Airlines: Aloha, Aloha

Add on
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Hawaii's Worst Moments of This Decade

Furlough Days: Solving problems by reducing education (in an already sub-par education system) will lead to future problems and future "less-educated" decisions. There is no government ownership from the moron who miscalculated a few million dollars somewhere. Maybe they shouldn't pay the Auditors, the Comptrollers, and the Fiscal Department based on their incompetence, and not take it out on the children.

The Railway System debacle: spend tons of money on a transit system and then cut it off, but debate it and spend more money debating it, but make no progress on it, and therefore make it a black hole for more Hawaii money.

Comment

Homeless population increases
      MRSA problem emerging
      MRC Greenwood wins UH Presidency by Default
      Dog the Bounty Hunter series premiere

... And just about everything mentioned previous to my post.

I know that I left out some crucial things, but I'm sure others will bring them up.

Comment

2006 Oahu Blackout over nothing.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          2006 Oahu Blackout over nothing.
          You mean the blackout associated with the earthquake? Or the blackout the day after Christmas 2008?

Comment

A good list of events so far.
            I'll add the Xerox shooting, killing seven people. That was November 2, 1999, so technically is within the last decade, almost.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

September 11, 2001: Muslim extremists use 4 of our own airliners to attack the United States. Thousands killed in New York, Virginia and Pennsylvania. A new era in the "War on Terror" begins.

July 11, 2005: The day Governor Lingle let HB 1309 pass into law without her signature; thus began the increase of the GE tax which the City & County of Honolulu seized to finance the ill-conceived fixed rail project.

This is the Governor's legacy that has the biggest negative impact on Hawaii's pocketbooks as generations will have to pay for the expenses of rail in the years and decades to come.

Photo by mel

March 2009: End of the Hawaii Superferry because of environmental wackos, myopic Hawaiian (Kauai/Maui) protesters, judges, courts, and special interests.

October 15, 2006: 6.7 earthquake hits Hawaii; huge damage to parts of Big Island, Maui - Honolulu blackout 16+ hours.

November 4, 2008: Barack Obama elected President of the U.S. Our freedoms are being diminished and cost of living will continue to increase.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'll also add the day that idiot threw the baby off the freeway overpass, about two years ago.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I would add to all of the above,.... UH losing the services of June Jones to SMU.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    I'll also add the day that idiot threw the baby off the freeway overpass, about two years ago.
                    My stomach still cramps up whenever I am reminded of that bit of utter heartless cruelty.

Comment

Well, it wasn't today when Abercrombie quit.

Comment

Wasn't there some big to do earlier this year with the water treatment plant not being up to code to or something? And the tax payers having to foot the bill for it? That seems to suck.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          I would add to all of the above,.... UH losing the services of June Jones to SMU.
                          He's back for the Oahu Bowl with a new date.

Comment

Working...
                          X