Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend cooking lessons / teacher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can you recommend cooking lessons / teacher?

Just a little lesson I learned from a chef: There is no such thing as "cooking wine". If you wouldn't sit down and enjoy a glass of it, it shouldn't go into your food!

I have always followed his advice. Usually, at the same time...........
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      Just a little lesson I learned from a chef: There is no such thing as "cooking wine". If you wouldn't sit down and enjoy a glass of it, it shouldn't go into your food!

I have always followed his advice. Usually, at the same time...........
      I use whatever alcohol is available.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

MJ...I just received an eNewsletter from Williams-Sonoma and they're offering free basic technique classes on Sundays in January. Check out this schedule.

From the newsletter:

Essential Cooking Techniques

We’re pleased to offer hour-long technique classes at your
        local Williams-Sonoma store. Presented free of charge, each
        class is dedicated to a specific topic and led by one of our
        culinary experts. Class size is limited, see below for class
        descriptions and reservation information.

During our three-part series in January, we’ll help you master several basic cooking techniques. Our first class will introduce you to braising, which involves slowly cooking meats and vegetables in seasoned liquid until the food is full flavored and meltingly tender. In the second class, you’ll learn all about sautéing and panfrying, two techniques that are ideal for everyday home cooking. In the third and final class, we’ll show you how to sear meats and vegetables, as well as to simmer soups, sauces and more. Each class will also discuss the best pans to use with each cooking method.

All of our technique classes offer how-to demonstrations, innovative recipes and delicious samples. Space is limited, so please call your local Williams-Sonoma store today to sign up.

Comment

My cousin Jean Hee-Watanabe puts out great local style cookbooks with her latest "Quick and Easy" meals. This one's a real winner...get it now at all book retailers.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
            The Williams Sonoma store at Ala Moana has free cooking classes
            Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I was a regular "student" at my favorite W-S store in So. California.
            Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            MJ...I just received an eNewsletter from Williams-Sonoma and they're offering free basic technique classes on Sundays in January.
            Thanks for the heads up! I called them today, and all their January classes are booked . They're considering starting Monday classes (probably if there's enough demand). I got myself on the waiting list and crossing my fingers.

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            Castle Hospital offers classes on healthy cooking
            Hmmm...the Kapiolani Womens Center on Artesian and Beretania has, in the past, offered very reasonable priced healthy cooking classes
            You know, I never considered medical centers as a source of cooking lessons, but it makes sense (at least for healthy cooking). I feel bad for patients on restricted diets. The limited menu is really tough.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            Being the cook in family of six heavy eating boys you tend to shop cheap but make every ingredient count for a hearty and satisfying meal to feed the troops. But you do it without reinventing the wheel.

My cousin Jean Hee-Watanabe puts out great local style cookbooks with her latest "Quick and Easy" meals. This one's a real winner...get it now at all book retailers.
            I like your cooking philosophy, Craig. Wow, you have to cook for 6 growing boys? Your techniques must be down right practical. Kinda reminds me of that Semi-Homemade lady.

Thanks for pointing out your cousin's book. Geared for local tastes, I imagine. I'll have to check it out.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I went to the cooking class at Williams-Sonoma. It was pretty good. More of a demonstration than a hands on class (they don't really have the facilities for that sort of thing). Even though you have to sign up, it's sort of a first come first serve. It's just based on the honor system (I suppose they keep the class time a "secret"). I recommend showing up 15-20 minutes before the class starts, if you want a front "seat" (standing room only).

That class was on braising which always makes me think of broiling, but it's slow cooking at medium heat. Sorta like a crock pot?

I had fun. Nothing you couldn't learn from a cook book, but there's something different about being in the presence of the food as it's cook (like the wonderful smells).
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "

Comment

Did your dad go with you, MJ?

Comment

Did your dad go with you, MJ?
                  Naw. He wants me takes the classes and then "teach" him what I learned. The blind leading the blind!

If I can arrange private lessons, he'd probably be willing to attend that.
                  "

Comment

Why not try getting a small crock pot. They come with easy directions and there are other books out there with many recipes. The beauty of this is
                    many are versatile and can be had for a couple days but not taste like the
                    same thing. Many years ago I wrote a cookbook for a friend and got him a crock pot and it really was successful for him.

Comment

A crockpot is a great idea, Leash, not to mention easy. MJ, if your dad doesn't mind leftovers or freezing leftovers for future meals, a crockpot might be the place to start. I'm a single person household and find the 3 quart crockpot plenty large for one meal and 3 leftover meals. Last month I bought one for $16.75 at KMart. It's the lowest tech version I could find because that's all I need. Oh, and the exterior design (art, not shape) is so corny, so retro. Reminds me of the first CP I owned in the 60s! The nostalgia factor was worth the $16.75! There are also liner bags available at grocery stores to make cleanup a non-issue!

I use mine the most for steelcut oatmeal breakfasts. Before I go to bed I add the water and oats, turn the CP on low and a healthy breakfast is ready in the morning. Since I'm a lazy cook, I double the batch and end up with 8 future breakfasts. Oatmeal freezes well and can be frozen in individual servings for easy microwaving.

There's also a plethora of recipes on the internet, too. I believe there's a Yahoo group devoted to CP recipes with an occasional review.

ETA: Another small appliance idea...a George Foreman grill. I wouldn't be without one. Great for hamburger patties, steak, chops, fish steaks...both sides are grilled at the same time. Average time is about 5 minutes to cook a piece of meat or fish.

I told ya I was a lazy cook!
                      Last edited by tutusue; January 12, 2010, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                        Why not try getting a small crock pot.
                        Oh, that's a real good idea! Thanks for the tip :_)

Another small appliance idea...a George Foreman grill.
                        My wife's a big fan of that grill :_)

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        I picked up a copy from Sam's Club the other day. I'll let you know how my first attempt goes. My wife thinks one of the mochi recipes is the one my mom used. It'd be cool to cook some of her old dishes.
                        "

Comment

MJ...did you go to last weekend's class at Williams Sonoma on pan frying and saute'ing? It was my first class and I enjoyed getting tips as well as the tasting afterwards. I am looking forward to attending the Italian Comfort food one in February.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                            MJ...did you go to last weekend's class at Williams Sonoma on pan frying and saute'ing?
                            I sure was! The first class was full, so I got slotted for the second one. Were you in the first or second one? I didn't sign up for the Italian one; too lazy

Sandi is a pretty good demonstrator. She didn't teach you anything you could learn from a book, but having it demonstrated to you live makes a big difference in making the ideas stick in your head; not to mention learning how to make sure your food doesn't stick to your pan! It was interesting to learn that stainless steel has pores on its surface.
                            "

Comment

Cooking Class

Thursday, March 11
                              6:00 pm

Learn tricks & tips from Chef Russell Siu in this very popular event. Featured every other month, our cooking classes are a sell-out event. You will be served each course along with a wine pairing.

Cream of Asparagus Soup, Cheese Puffs

Tomato & House Made Truffle Mozzarella Cheese
                              Basil Vinaigrette

Pan Seared Medallion of Salmon with Garlic Parsley Butter
                              Kahuku Corn Relish

Chocolate Amaretto Truffle Tart

$65.00

inclusive of tax & service charge

*Class will start promptly at 6:00 pm and seating is on a first come first serve basis. Limited seating by reservations only.
                              Last edited by 808shooter; February 15, 2010, 11:31 PM. Reason: dont think this is what TS wanted but it was an awesome class.

Comment

Check out epicurious.com for video based classes and classes on YouTube and podcasts on iTunes. The food network also has how-to videos.

Comment

Working...
                                X