Wireless Networks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Networks?

I just got my new laptop and while trying to get it set up for first time use, it asked me to choose a wireless network from a list. I tried a couple of them and they asked for some kind of network password. Does this mean that all these wireless networks are subscriber only? and how do I contact them to subscribe? thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Re: Wireless Networks?

Those wireless networks that you are detecting belong to other people and they have set it up with passwords to prevent unauthorize users from accessing their resourse on their network.

Bear in mind wireless networks have a short range somewhere in the 50 to 300 foot range. If you made a list of networks that you iniitially detected on your laptop and then took your laptop to another location you will find that the list has changed.

Are you setting up your laptop at home or at work? If you are doing this at home the wireless networks you are detecting belong to your various neighors. If you are running DSL from Hawaiian Telcom at home there is a possibility one of those wireless networks is yours.
    Last edited by helen; December 19, 2009, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Depending on what features you have in your new laptop.

If anything, the networks are secured and private, usually your neighbors' network set up with their wireless routers.

There are some laptops that have built-in wireless broadband. Usually sold through a carrier service like Verizon Wireless.

If you want, get yourself a cable or dsl modem and a wireless router to set up your own wi-fi network.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

thanks for the responses! yes, my laptop has built-in wireless (also ethernet). I'll be using my laptop at home. I do have Hawaiian Tel DSL and was just on the phone with a tech guy there. what i might do is shut down my current service and get new service with a wireless modem. i'm going to go talk to them on monday i think.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          thanks for the responses! yes, my laptop has built-in wireless (also ethernet). I'll be using my laptop at home. I do have Hawaiian Tel DSL and was just on the phone with a tech guy there. what i might do is shut down my current service and get new service with a wireless modem. i'm going to go talk to them on monday i think.
          Unless the new service is a better deal than the one you currently have with them, go ahead.

Me? I just chipped in for a wireless router.

I'm waiting for Hawaiian Telcom to offer a 7Mbps plan for $20-$25 a month for life.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

should have gotten a mac!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              Unless the new service is a better deal than the one you currently have with them, go ahead.

Me? I just chipped in for a wireless router.

I'm waiting for Hawaiian Telcom to offer a 7Mbps plan for $20-$25 a month for life.
              wireless modem service cost will be the same as i'm paying now.

with only 1 computer in my house, i don't really need to buy a router. and the whole point of the exercise is why should i have to pay when hawaiiantel gives them out for free with service?
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
                should have gotten a mac!
                that's what my bro said. i'll give you the same response i gave him:

when someone else is buying, then i'll take a Mac. when i'm buying - i'll get what i can afford!
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I had an open wireless network till someone used it to get into my computer.
                  Thats why most wireless nets are private.
                  But, you can access free, open wi-fi nets at various cafe's restaurants, bookstores and the like.
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

wireless modem service cost will be the same as i'm paying now.

with only 1 computer in my house, i don't really need to buy a router. and the whole point of the exercise is why should i have to pay when hawaiiantel gives them out for free with service?
                    Actually there is a difference between using a wireless modem service and using (or accesing) a wireless network.

In using a wireless modem service, no matter where you are as long as that area is covered by cell phone you should be able to access whatever network services that vendor provides.

In a wireless network, that coverage is only good for a very limited area in terms of less than a hundred feet. And while you might be able to detect and/or use mutiple wireless networks from you are currently at it doesn't mean those wireless networks come from the same source or offer the same services.

Comment

thanks for that info Helen! I didn't know that about wireless modem service. I'm not going to buy a router for home and don't plan on carrying this big laptop with me anywhere but it's nice to know that I could still get online in the area.

so maybe i should think about verizon or at&t for my wireless service?
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Just to let you know you are better off if you just disable your laptop's wireless connection and just plug in the cable from your DSL box to your laptop's Ethernet connection.

Comment

Why is that? i'm really trying to "downsize" and would like to eliminate as many cables etc as i can. but, i certainly value all opinions offered by folks much smarter about this than i am and am very grateful for the help.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just got my new laptop!
                            Ana, what did you finally select? I'm interested to know.

Ana, this discussion is getting too technical for someone at your experience level, and I mean that with no disrespect.

For your use, you want something simple. Just hook your computer directly into the DSL modem. Same number of cables (one) as going wireless. The only drawback is that your computer is tied to your desk (and modem) when on the Internet, you won't be able to surf the Internet while lying in bed for example. If you want Internet access while sitting on your veranda, then by all means get a wireless router to surf the Internet anywhere around your fale.

Whether you chose a MAC or PC has nothing to do with Internet access. I am a dedicated PC user (using an HP as I keyboard this message connected on a DSL modem). You made the right choice when selecting a PC, just on price alone.

I wish I were nearby, I would be happy to get you up and running in about 5 minutes.

Blessed Be
                            Last edited by matapule; December 20, 2009, 06:48 AM.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              Ana, what did you finally select? I'm interested to know.

Ana, this discussion is getting too technical for someone at your experience level, and I mean that with no disrespect.

For your use, you want something simple. Just hook your computer directly into the DSL modem. Same number of cables (one) as going wireless. The only drawback is that your computer is tied to your desk (and modem) when on the Internet, you won't be able to surf the Internet while lying in bed for example. If you want Internet access while sitting on your veranda, then by all means get a wireless router to surf the Internet anywhere around your fale.

Whether you chose a MAC or PC has nothing to do with Internet access. I am a dedicated PC user (using an HP as I keyboard this message connected on a DSL modem). You made the right choice when selecting a PC, just on price alone.

I wish I were nearby, I would be happy to get you up and running in about 5 minutes.

Blessed Be
                              I got the Toshiba Satellite laptop - Best Buy had it on sale for $499. I also upgraded the Win 7 Home edition to the Win 7 Ultimate. That way I can keep using my XP programs (at least most of them). I'm actually quite experienced with desktop computers - but laptops & wireless is a whole new world for me. and since I'm still building websites & doing graphics work, I want ease of use & portability within my house.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X