Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wireless Networks?

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Why is that? i'm really trying to "downsize" and would like to eliminate as many cables etc as i can. but, i certainly value all opinions offered by folks much smarter about this than i am and am very grateful for the help.
    Two reasons. Transfer speeds over a wired connection is at 100 Mbits per second (Mbsec), whereas a wireless connection is at the most 50 Mbsec. The other reason is security. Since you are transmitting your Internet traffic over the radio there is more chances of others recieving that traffic, assuming they want to pick it up.
    Last edited by helen; December 20, 2009, 08:16 AM.

Comment

that makes sense to me. thanks helen!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      โ€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
        should have gotten a mac!
        that's what my bro said.[...]
        I have a Mac but don't understand why anapuni's situation would be any different if she owned one. It sounds like none of the wireless networks she's detecting are without password protection. That would also be the case with a Mac.

I have DSL and use a wireless router, provided free by Hawaiian Telcom, in my office. I called 611 and they helped me set up my network with a password. Easy-sneezy...really...but I couldn't have done it alone. If your router is on and you don't have a password set up your wireless network will show up as a long number sequence that anyone can hop on.

I also have mobile broadband thru Mobi/Hele for Makaha and my house sitting gig. It's slower than DSL and the speed is unreliable, otherwise I'd get rid of DSL in my office. But, I'm constantly sending and receiving jpegs and video so I need the extra speed of DSL at work. Hele is atrocious in Makaha, often not working at all at night. It works much, much better in town.

If you don't care about the speed, anapuni, you might look into Mobi/Hele's bundled service. I'm currently paying $50/mo for unlimited cell service and $20/mo for mobile broadband. The mobile modems have come waaaaay down in price since I bought mine last Feb.

Just my untechie 2ยข!!!

Comment

I got the Toshiba Satellite laptop - Best Buy had it on sale for $499. .
          I saw that model at BestBuy a couple of days ago. Good Choice! I don't own a desktop, I currently have three laptops for two people! I don't foresee ever going back to a desktop again.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            But, you can access free, open wi-fi nets at various cafe's restaurants, bookstores and the like.
            Speaking of which...

To anybody who works at Hawaiian Telcom, can you try give Molokai one wi-fi hotspot?

Or you never heard of Molokai?

P.S. I think this post should also be on the "What's Pissing You" thread.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I want ease of use & portability within my house.
              You telling me. I can use my laptop anywhere in my home [property], like my bedroom, my bathroom, my garage, the backyard, etc., and still be connected to the internet/network.

Now, if I can extend the range, maybe install a repeater in my car...
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
              X