I am AWED!

I'm going tomorrow to see it AGAIN!

Details to follow.

K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Avatar!

OOOHH!! I just KNEW it would be good!

A new kind of Star Wars? The Nextgen of Epics?

Gotta go this week.

Comment

Re: Avatar

Just saw it the second time, this time in IMAX. I didn't feel much difference between IMAX and plain 3-D....

I can't (won't) include spoilers. This is a movie you just have to see. There is no description to do it justice.

It is a tale of inter-species conflict, exploitation, a lack of understanding between cultures, cutting-edge unknowns, love (both people and environments), and the energy required to right wrongs.

The 3-D is cutting edge, the spec-FX are awesomely believable.
      The story is complex in many ways, but reverts to the simple dark-light conflict we expect in the end.

You may be dissapointed (if you're jaded), but I think it unlikely.

James Cameron's masterpiece.

KFWIW
      ~ ~

Comment

I was absolutely awestruck by the stunning visuals in Avatar. It is definitely a must see movie !
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I was debating on whether to watch it or not because no one wanted to watch it (sniff sniff). I guess I'll go check it out myself! LOL

Thanks for the review!
          A proud sponsor of
          http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

I'm finding the reviews entertaining enough. I really dislike the non-refundable surcharge for uncomfortable and hazy 3-D glasses, so may wait for this to pop up on Netflix streaming. The interesting thing is, I see this film as nothing but the epitome of a popcorn blockbuster, no thought required. But some folks are obviously thinking about it a lot.

Decoding the Racial, Religious Messages in Avatar
            They're finding the science fiction epic is about much more than blue aliens and 22nd-century warfare. Racial and religious undertones, they say, permeate the film. What is Avatar really about?
            When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?
            Sure, Avatar goes a little bit beyond the basic colonizing story. We are told in no uncertain terms that it's wrong to colonize the lands of native people. Our hero chooses to join the Na'vi rather than abide the racist culture of his own people. But it is nevertheless a story that revisits the same old tropes of colonization. Whites still get to be leaders of the natives - just in a kinder, gentler way than they would have in an old Flash Gordon flick or in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars novels.

Comment

Saw it over the weekend. This movie is a visual feast. It transports you into another world, literally. The details are amazing, even down to the insects in the forest. And I only saw the regular version. I think 3D is the way to go with this.

There's nothing subtle about the story/dialog, however. In fact, its rather heavy-hand. But the visual world Cameron creates more than makes up for that.

Comment

Interesting reviews. I almost never go to the movies, but your reviews are tempting me.
                And I've gotta say, Avatar was filmed on a budget of $400 million, so it darned well better be good.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

When I want thoughtful, introspective, sophisticated themes I immediately think of the auteur who brought us the subtle plots and keen philosophical insights of works like "Terminator" and "Titanic"...

Which movie would you rather finance: a $400M monolith that makes a couple billion dollars setting worldwide records, or a "little" $25M indie that brings in a couple hundred million?
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                    When I want thoughtful, introspective, sophisticated themes I immediately think of the auteur who brought us the subtle plots and keen philosophical insights of works like "Terminator" and "Titanic".
                    And for thoughtful, introspective and sophisticated themes I immediately think of Monty Python, who brought us the subtle plots and keen philosophical insights of works like "In Search Of The Holy Grail" and "Life Of Brian."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      I'm finding the reviews entertaining enough. I really dislike the non-refundable surcharge for uncomfortable and hazy 3-D glasses, so may wait for this to pop up on Netflix streaming. The interesting thing is, I see this film as nothing but the epitome of a popcorn blockbuster, no thought required. But some folks are obviously thinking about it a lot.

Decoding the Racial, Religious Messages in Avatar

When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?
                      I couldn't disagree more with those reviews. First they weren't colonizing the land, they were just taking the metals/resources from it, and there was nothing racist about it... it equates to tearing down the rainforest and having to kick out some people to do it. wrong? yes.. racist? no
                      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Albert, another friend and I attempted to watch the noon showing on the 3-D version of Avatar at the Ward Theater today but it was sold out. We then opted to watch another movie and get tickets for the 3:30 pm showing of Avatar.

The movie has a lot of imagery and action but I felt it left out some parts, mostly as to why the sky people needed the mineral.

I don't mind watching this movie a second time, but I would go for the 2-d version instead.
                        Last edited by helen; January 3, 2010, 03:46 PM. Reason: fixing an URL entry

Comment

I find it difficult to write about this one. Visually stunning, no doubt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post

The movie has a lot of imagery and action but I felt it left out some parts, mostly as to why the sky people needed the mineral.
                            I think they left out the need for the mineral because it was not a critical part of the story. It is likely they'll expand on that if they make a sequel though.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              I guess for us SciFi nuts such things are obvious: The mineral they sophomorically called "unobtanium,' (barf) was essentially an anti-gravity radiant. This is why the sample would spin above the sample cup. This is how the 'floating mountains' of the Na`vi are possible.

Think of the commercial, and 'green' applications of a mineral that causes a reversal of gravity.

Mufi would LOVE it...., no, I take that back, it would decrease his commercial re-election contributions.

I'd love to have some, though!

K!
                              ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                              X