Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avatar

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
    Oh great, I'm not going to get anything done today. That site is awesome.

Thanks!!!

Comment

i had to see the Chipmunks and Princess and the frog (both were pretty good) for my nieces, now i'm going to see Avatar for myself! I can't wait til it arrives in bermuda!

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        Every single character was nothing more than a stereotype. Where was the businessman interested in something other than profit, the military man interested in something other than fighting, the scientist interested in something other than specimen collecting, the cripple interested in something other than being healed, the noble savage interested in something other than preserving their noble lifestyle, etc.
        Well, you did see Parker (the profit-hungry businessman) show his inner conflict upon seeing the colonel's warships going on their merry way to blast the Tree of Souls to smithereens. He, get this..... FROWNS for a brief moment. And then off he goes with the rest of his day's business.

And that was about as deep as Parker's character got.

On the whole, I have to agree with you, Ed. This is obviously not another Stranger in a Strange Land or Dune, and anyone expecting something as profound as those sci-fi classics will be sorely disappointed. Still, there are relevant social/political/moral messages that Avatar conveys which puts it on an intellectual par with, say, the Planet of The Apes, and I don't mean that as an insult. Those stories are what they are, and nothing more.

As for FX, I've seen better 20 years ago at Disney World (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, among others). Terminator and Titanic were better pictures. I can only hope it takes this guy at least another 12 years before his next 'vision' is realized.
        Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
        Saw it over the weekend. This movie is a visual feast. It transports you into another world, literally. The details are amazing, even down to the insects in the forest. And I only saw the regular version. I think 3D is the way to go with this.
        Call me easy to impress. But I have to agree with Honoruru on this part. I thought the SPFX was amazing. And the 3D is the only reason to see this flick in the theaters. If 2D film prints of Avatar is the only thing available to see in your area, then save your money and wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Well, if you get a chance to see it only on a DVD bootleg, as I did, go for it. Avatar is a better film than all the visual razzle-dazzle perhaps conceals.

(Still grateful I saw it first in 3-D}

Comment

Golden Globes. James Cameron for Best Director. Avatar for Best Film.

YES!

Comment

At least Planet of the Apes had the nearly first rate acting of Heston and the absolute spoof factor of apes aping humans. Cameron pushes all the emotional buttons he can and put up some nice eye candy, making the film interesting but not intellectually engaging. I didn't find it a waste of time to watch, but the only reasonable outcome, given the specifics in the movie, was the eviction or annihilation of the blue meanies. I think Cameron must have retained a deep-seated emotional impact from the movie Zulu - I know I did when I saw it. That is the movie I would find most comparable to Avatar.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I think Cameron must have retained a deep-seated emotional impact from the movie Zulu - I know I did when I saw it. That is the movie I would find most comparable to Avatar.
                From A to Z --- or in this case, from Z to A.

Comment

late to the party but my take on avatar is this:

only white people can save the natives--even if said white people are merely saving natives from other white people. think dances with wolves but with uber athletic, naturalistic smurfs who can plug in to nature the way neo can plug into the matrix.

absosmurfingly nothing novel about avatar cept the millions in cinematic technology.

ps the 3d in the little ad for the 3d technology where the dog chases the ball was more stunning than the 3d in the movie itself.
                  Last edited by cynsaligia; March 11, 2010, 06:25 PM.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Okay, just saw this a few days ago. The forest was pretty. I didn't think it lived up to all the hype it generated. The story was so-so. It did remind me of Zulu, which was one of the most AWFUL movies ever, BTW. But my biggest problem is that we've had the stupid movie for three days and my husband has watched it every day. I am SO SICK OF THIS MOVIE!! My in-laws are here now and they're all watching it (at deafening levels) and I'm hiding in our bedroom.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

$ 19.99 + tax worth every penny of it.

It is Awesome!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                      X