Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avatar

Default Re: Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zff View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Well, more specifically, I was wondering what could unobtanium possibly be used for that makes it cost-effective to pay $20M/kilo for it. Another thing about the movie that bugged me was that they never explained how the mountains float.

So I came up with the theory that unobtanium has anti-gravity properties that aren't completely understood. That could explain why it's so valuable and why the mountains float.
    unobtanium has a extremely strong magnetic field. the mountains had high concentrates of it so they floated above the ground.

It is a room temperature super-conductor for energy, which makes it very valuable: it's worth $20 Million per kilogram unrefined (worth $40 million per kilogram refined) on Earth. However, It is predominantly expensive to mine on Pandora as humans are unable to breathe in the Pandoran toxic atmosphere. Because of this, all personnel are required to wear a Exopack which is very cumbersome. Humans transport Unobtanium on trucks called Hell Trucks from the mines back to Hell's Gate for refining.

Unobtanium proved to be the most baffling of scientific discoveries in the area of superconductors as it had an extremely strong magnetic field, reversing prior knowledge that all superconductors repel magnetic fields. Furthermore, unlike the fragile crystals of human-created superconducting compounds, the substance found on Pandora was a stable quasicrystal with its atoms arranged in a never-repeating but orderly pattern with fivefold symmetry. This structure was not only structurally rugged but also has mircoscopic voids in the quasicrytalline structure that contain the magnetic flux lines. Unobtanium has a unique magnetic field and properties of superconductivity, causing it to levitate. On Pandora, the magnetic effect causes huge outcroppings of Unobtanium to rip loose from the surface and float in the magnetic vortexes. These huge islands, named Hallelujah Mountains by Earth's explorers, are called Thundering Rocks by the Na'vi, who hold them sacred. The unique magnetic properties of Unobtanium are used to contain and direct the energy of the Matter-Antimatter annihilation which propels ships like ISV Venture Star. Without Unobtanium, interstellar commerce on this scale would not be possible. Unobtanium is not only the key to Earth’s energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization. Making a feed back loop, the more Unobtanium is mined, the more ships can be built, and more mining equipment can be sent to Pandora .
    Originally, the term "unobtanium" was used to describe the material as a joke. However, over the years, the name appears to have stuck.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by LocalMotion View Post
    unobtanium has a extremely strong magnetic field. the mountains had high concentrates of it so they floated above the ground.

It is a room temperature super-conductor for energy, which makes it very valuable: it's worth $20 Million per kilogram unrefined (worth $40 million per kilogram refined) on Earth. However, It is predominantly expensive to mine on Pandora as humans are unable to breathe in the Pandoran toxic atmosphere. Because of this, all personnel are required to wear a Exopack which is very cumbersome. Humans transport Unobtanium on trucks called Hell Trucks from the mines back to Hell's Gate for refining.

Unobtanium proved to be the most baffling of scientific discoveries in the area of superconductors as it had an extremely strong magnetic field, reversing prior knowledge that all superconductors repel magnetic fields. Furthermore, unlike the fragile crystals of human-created superconducting compounds, the substance found on Pandora was a stable quasicrystal with its atoms arranged in a never-repeating but orderly pattern with fivefold symmetry. This structure was not only structurally rugged but also has mircoscopic voids in the quasicrytalline structure that contain the magnetic flux lines. Unobtanium has a unique magnetic field and properties of superconductivity, causing it to levitate. On Pandora, the magnetic effect causes huge outcroppings of Unobtanium to rip loose from the surface and float in the magnetic vortexes. These huge islands, named Hallelujah Mountains by Earth's explorers, are called Thundering Rocks by the Na'vi, who hold them sacred. The unique magnetic properties of Unobtanium are used to contain and direct the energy of the Matter-Antimatter annihilation which propels ships like ISV Venture Star. Without Unobtanium, interstellar commerce on this scale would not be possible. Unobtanium is not only the key to Earth’s energy needs in the 22nd century, but it is the enabler of interstellar travel and the establishment of a truly spacefaring civilization. Making a feed back loop, the more Unobtanium is mined, the more ships can be built, and more mining equipment can be sent to Pandora .
    Originally, the term "unobtanium" was used to describe the material as a joke. However, over the years, the name appears to have stuck.
    I guess Solar energy wasn't the answer then huh?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Where are you getting this? Is there an Avatar novel? I would love to read it. I checked Amazon but couldn't find it.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

From Wikipedia: "Engineers have long (since at least the 1950s[2]) used the term unobtainium when referring to unusual or costly materials, or when theoretically considering a material perfect for their needs in all respects save that it doesn't exist. By the 1990s the term was in wide use, even in formal engineering papers such as "Towards unobtainium [new composite materials for space applications]".[3] The word unobtainium may well have been coined within the aerospace industry to refer to materials capable of withstanding the extreme temperatures expected in reentry. Aerospace engineers are frequently tempted to design aircraft which require parts with strength or resilience beyond that of currently available materials."

It actually has a reality hook to it.
    Last edited by admin; January 10th, 2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Link and provide excerpt, don't copy and paste.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by zff View Post
    Where are you getting this? Is there an Avatar novel? I would love to read it. I checked Amazon but couldn't find it.
    sorry forgot to post the link

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Unobtainium

Oh great, I'm not going to get anything done today. That site is awesome.

Thanks!!!

i had to see the Chipmunks and Princess and the frog (both were pretty good) for my nieces, now i'm going to see Avatar for myself! I can't wait til it arrives in bermuda!

Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    Every single character was nothing more than a stereotype. Where was the businessman interested in something other than profit, the military man interested in something other than fighting, the scientist interested in something other than specimen collecting, the cripple interested in something other than being healed, the noble savage interested in something other than preserving their noble lifestyle, etc.
    Well, you did see Parker (the profit-hungry businessman) show his inner conflict upon seeing the colonel's warships going on their merry way to blast the Tree of Souls to smithereens. He, get this..... FROWNS for a brief moment. And then off he goes with the rest of his day's business.

And that was about as deep as Parker's character got.

On the whole, I have to agree with you, Ed. This is obviously not another Stranger in a Strange Land or Dune, and anyone expecting something as profound as those sci-fi classics will be sorely disappointed. Still, there are relevant social/political/moral messages that Avatar conveys which puts it on an intellectual par with, say, the Planet of The Apes, and I don't mean that as an insult. Those stories are what they are, and nothing more.

As for FX, I've seen better 20 years ago at Disney World (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, among others). Terminator and Titanic were better pictures. I can only hope it takes this guy at least another 12 years before his next 'vision' is realized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    Saw it over the weekend. This movie is a visual feast. It transports you into another world, literally. The details are amazing, even down to the insects in the forest. And I only saw the regular version. I think 3D is the way to go with this.
    Call me easy to impress. But I have to agree with Honoruru on this part. I thought the SPFX was amazing. And the 3D is the only reason to see this flick in the theaters. If 2D film prints of Avatar is the only thing available to see in your area, then save your money and wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray.

Well, if you get a chance to see it only on a DVD bootleg, as I did, go for it. Avatar is a better film than all the visual razzle-dazzle perhaps conceals.

(Still grateful I saw it first in 3-D}

Golden Globes. James Cameron for Best Director. Avatar for Best Film.

YES!

At least Planet of the Apes had the nearly first rate acting of Heston and the absolute spoof factor of apes aping humans. Cameron pushes all the emotional buttons he can and put up some nice eye candy, making the film interesting but not intellectually engaging. I didn't find it a waste of time to watch, but the only reasonable outcome, given the specifics in the movie, was the eviction or annihilation of the blue meanies. I think Cameron must have retained a deep-seated emotional impact from the movie Zulu - I know I did when I saw it. That is the movie I would find most comparable to Avatar.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

I think Cameron must have retained a deep-seated emotional impact from the movie Zulu - I know I did when I saw it. That is the movie I would find most comparable to Avatar.
    From A to Z --- or in this case, from Z to A.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

late to the party but my take on avatar is this:

only white people can save the natives--even if said white people are merely saving natives from other white people. think dances with wolves but with uber athletic, naturalistic smurfs who can plug in to nature the way neo can plug into the matrix.

absosmurfingly nothing novel about avatar cept the millions in cinematic technology.

ps the 3d in the little ad for the 3d technology where the dog chases the ball was more stunning than the 3d in the movie itself.
    Last edited by cynsaligia; March 11th, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Okay, just saw this a few days ago. The forest was pretty. I didn't think it lived up to all the hype it generated. The story was so-so. It did remind me of Zulu, which was one of the most AWFUL movies ever, BTW. But my biggest problem is that we've had the stupid movie for three days and my husband has watched it every day. I am SO SICK OF THIS MOVIE!! My in-laws are here now and they're all watching it (at deafening levels) and I'm hiding in our bedroom.

Can't think of anything creative this time

$ 19.99 + tax worth every penny of it.

It is Awesome!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12