Cooking with an "Infrawave" oven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking with an "Infrawave" oven.

A few weeks ago, I bought a Black & Decker Infrawave oven, which is a toaster oven, basically, that works with infrared lights above and below what's being cooked. I'm pleased with it, so far. It's very good at toast, English muffins, Eggo waffles, and also fast-food type frozen stuff like Sea Pak frozen breaded shrimp, Gorton's frozen fish fillets, and, generally, things that you cannot use a microwave for at all, because they wind up soggy and awful. It can work better than a regular oven for foods that need a crusty outside to taste best, and it's faster than a regular oven. But because it heats the surfaces of foods faster than an oven, you have to be careful not to burn things.

The downsides are: (1) pricey for a toaster oven -- around $120 at Don Quixote and around $100 from Amazon, (2) the infrared heating elements are not replaceable, so when they burn out, no more Infrawave.
    Greg

Re: Cooking with an "Infrawave" oven.

Infrawave sounds like a modern approach to the old technology of an Easy Bake Oven (which used a light bulb).
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I hadn't heard of the Easy Bake. Hasbro has a version for $26 and offers this Easy Bake history.
      Greg

Comment

Yea Greg, that is the one. I was just trying to be funny. Yes, the Easy Bake was a kids toy. You could make little cupcakes and stuff. Nothing at all compared to your real "adult version". Bon Appetit!
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
        X