Drive-In movies @ Aloha Stadium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive-In movies @ Aloha Stadium?

The Stadium Authority is planning to host a drive-in theater in its parking lot in order to offset loss of revenue, much of it resulting from the absence of the Pro Bowl in next year's Hawaii sports calendar.

So how many people would go? Obviously, it would have to be cheap enough in order to make it an attractive alternative to the indoor theaters, with its plush seating and Dolby Digital sound systems, if we're talking movies that haven't been released on DVD yet. If Aloha Stadium is going to show titles that are already available on DVD, then what would be the point? (With services like Netflix, it's an easy choice for the budget conscious family to enjoy the same movie at home.)
    Yes, it's a great idea from the past!
    47.37%
    No, it's a great idea from the past that should stay there.
    42.11%
    Maybe, under the right conditions.
    10.53%
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Drive-In movies @ Aloha Stadium?

Originally posted by from the poll
    No, it's a great idea from the past that should stay there.
    No, because I don't have a car.

Comment

What they should do is show sports-themed movies on the scoreboards IN the stadium and let movie-goers watch from the Pro-Turf. If the tickets were reasonable, I'd pay for that.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        What they should do is show sports-themed movies on the scoreboards IN the stadium and let movie-goers watch from the Pro-Turf. If the tickets were reasonable, I'd pay for that.
        Show a movie on the Jumbotron? That might pique some interest for a few shows, although I doubt that it would have much in the way of long-term staying power.

The article mentions about a viewing area layed out on artificial turf. I give some credit to the stadium authority for trying to be creative thinkers and all. But let's face it. The success or failure of this drive-in theater revival rests on the basic question: Will folks want to experience watching a movie from their car? And if the answer is no, then nothing else really matters.

Even in the 1950s and '60s heyday of drive-in theaters, there were two different types of customers. 1) Large families who wanted to save money on concessions, and 2) couples who wanted to, well,.... do something that they don't want to do out in public. So yeah, an outdoor lounge area or screening the movie inside the stadium...... that just won't work for those folks. I think if this new drive-in theater is to have a chance, the stadium authority can't afford to lose sight of the basics.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 26, 2009, 07:31 PM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

KITV and HNN does reports on this story. Movies are supposed to start in February. I hope the folks at the stadium authority and Fun Cinema are prepared for the possibility of inclement weather hampering attendance. We've had a drier than usual December, so the rainfall might be catching up in the next couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            No, because I don't have a car.
            No, because I live on Molokai, not Oahu.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I think it would be a success unless it rains.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I think it would be a success unless it rains.
                Instead of a drive-in movie, how about a tailgate-in movie?
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by random View Post
                  instead of a drive-in movie, how about a tailgate-in movie?
                  now that would be awesome!!!

Comment

I don't go to the free movies at Sunset on the Beach. I would never drive to Aloha Stadium and pay for a movie. I rarely if ever go to regular movies in the theater these days. DVD and TV is far more convenient.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      I don't go to the free movies at Sunset on the Beach. I would never drive to Aloha Stadium and pay for a movie. I rarely if ever go to regular movies in the theater these days. DVD and TV is far more convenient.
                      it's no fun when going solo but with a group of friends or even as a family event I think this is a good idea...I mean that's what we did as a family and with friends in the past, I think this is a great idea for this newest 20-something generation that feels necessary to shut out the social world and listen to iPods and view things on their own little cinema screens (phones).

Comment

Funny you mention consumer electronics in this discussion. Now that I think about it, my last visit ever to a drive-in was to see Clash of the Titans at Kam. (The 1981 version with Harry Hamlin and Burgess Meredith.) Shortly after that, I got my first VCR. And then, thanks to video rental shops, we never went out as a family to the drive-in again. And why not? We saved on gas. We saved on food/drink. We didn't have to worry about the weather. Beta Hi-Fi piped into the home stereo system sounded a lot better than that beat-up squawk box. The movie could be paused anytime we wanted. (Potty break!!!) And of course, we could watch the movie over again, if we wanted.

I would suspect that my family wasn't the only one that dumped the drive-in theater once they got their hands on a VCR.

Comment

We have one here, outside of Dallas. It shows movies on 3 different HUGE screens, and it plays double-features on each. It's fun. Most people bring folding chairs or sit in the back of their trucks. One family even put an inflaible matress in the bed of the truck, raised up on 2 X 4's. The movies themselves weren't expensive, and they were movies that were currently in the theaters. The concession stand was fun and we hit it often. I believe you also had the option of tuning into a certain radio station so the sound would come through your car speakers as well as the squawk box. We'll go again this summer.

The only downsides are that it's really far away from us- about 70 miles or so one way. And that it's hard to hear. But it's something different to do with a group of friends.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by surlygirly; December 29, 2009, 04:34 AM.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            Yep. I wouldn't mind watching a drive-in movie at Aloha Stadium, but I might not be happy with the behavior of the rest of the audience. Sorta like the way football games at Aloha are now... and movies at other venues.

I'd rather interact with family while going on a walk or hanging out at the beach or golfing or playing board games. But sitting around the tube watching a movie together means that we'd be talking and pausing it for questions or taking breaks. Can't do that very well at a public place.
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                              I believe you also had the option of tuning into a certain radio station so the sound would come through your car speakers as well as the squawk box.
                              Be careful of using your car's audio system. Some systems drain so much power from the car battery that if you run it for a double feature with the engine off, you won't be able to start-up your car later. It's for that reason that many Drive-Ins keep a portable jump-start pack handy.

It would probably be a better idea to bring a radio boombox.

Comment

Working...
                              X