Website for Computer Q&As

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website for Computer Q&As

Can someone please recommend a good website/forum for computer newbies? I need something simple and basic. I'm not very successful trying to do a online search when I have a problem. Thank you!

Re: Website for Computer Q&As

Why not ask here? Plenty smart people, mostly too polite to laugh at you.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Without knowning the kind of computer that you have it will be real tough to recommend something for you.

But as Linkmeister suggested, there is nothing wrong with asking your question here. If someone knows the answer more than likey they would post an answer.

Comment

Googling computer forum will generate plenty of info sites, and the forums are a wealth of tips.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

thanks everyone, for offering your help. i'll google computer forums and see.

Comment

Try this site: Tech Support Forums I go there to help out once in a while. It's really good, lots of experienced computer geeks there with discussion in virtually all areas of computing.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
              I need something simple and basic.
              http://www.komando.com, especially for getting hardware to work together and for all the different ways to screw up iTunes.
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Thank you, Craig and Nords, for the links! I was getting frustrated, just going thru all the forum choices.

Comment

These are the ones I frequent most:

Windows:
                  http://forums.techguy.org/
                  http://www.daniweb.com/

Mac:
                  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/
                  http://www.macnn.com/

There are plenty more though.

Remember: Google is Your Friend!
                  kiddori

Comment

Thanks for the links, Mattias. Yes, I tried googling, but nothing helpful came up. I'll try these forums and see if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                      http://www.komando.com, especially for getting hardware to work together and for all the different ways to screw up iTunes.
                      I can't stand Komando's website. Her responses are so lame at times, I wonder if she's actually writing them! When Kim Komando first aired back in the 80's, she was good. Heck I even did a voice over for one of her promos back then, but lately she's been lacking in technical savvy.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        I can't stand Komando's website. Her responses are so lame at times, I wonder if she's actually writing them! When Kim Komando first aired back in the 80's, she was good. Heck I even did a voice over for one of her promos back then, but lately she's been lacking in technical savvy.
                        Well, heck, if you'd asked for a computer forum I wouldn't have sent you to Kim Komando, I'd have sent you to Ryan Ozawa. I suspect that you and Sharilyn are at different ends of the computer-user bell curve, but we all have to start somewhere.

Kim hasn't changed her schtick in decades, but perhaps your level of knowledge & years of experience gives you more awareness of the complexity of issues that she attempts to reduce to 2-3 easy choices.

I don't know how your vast computer wisdom/experience is viewed in your household, but in mine it's regarded as having relevance somewhere between the dawn of time and the age of the dinosaurs. Nobody gives a rat's ass how it works, they just want it to work. Sending my spouse/spawn to consult a neutral outside authority like Komando.com allows them to sort out their options and get their gear working without having to gain any deep or nuanced appreciation of the technology or the infrastructure.

And best of all, when they use Komando.com then I don't have to be a 24/7 pro bono sysadmin for yet another piece of gear that I don't use.
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I posted a question on a forum and got one reply with suggestions. I also went thru a couple of forums and found something else that might help. I gave these to my husband. I don't think I should touch anything, especially without his knowledge. Last night, my husband called Hawaiian Tel again, and will call HP again tonight, too. If this doesn't work, we are returning the pc to Costco. I really hope we don't have to... I'd hate to return a pc after we loaded it with all our personal info. Besides, I really love it. :-(

Comment

Last night, my husband called Hawaiian Tel again, and will call HP again tonight, too. If this doesn't work, we are returning the pc to Costco. I really hope we don't have to... I'd hate to return a pc after we loaded it with all our personal info. Besides, I really love it. :-(
                            HP tech support was surprisingly courteous and efficient to me. Yes, I spoke to an Indian fellow who did not give me an anglo sounding pseudonym like most call center employees do (I respect keeping it real), he was nice and helpful. Stayed on the phone with me for an hour until my problem was solved. I sent him a glowing customer comment.

I don't know anything about your problem, Sharilyn, but it sounds like you have an issue with a recently purchased HP computer.

I too had a problem with a new HP computer. I used the HP software updater to update the various files on my new computer. I restarted it, and the computer was on this continuous, unbreakable cycle. It said something a critical error, and it had to restart in 60 seconds. It would restart, and I would get the same message. Surprisingly, the HP tech support rep told me the HP updater is not good and that it provides a gateway to various viruses. So I had to do a hard system restore. I ignore the updater anytime it pops up again. I haven't had a computer problem ever since.

I'm not certain if your problem is even similar to mine, but I am encouraging you to keep trying and perhaps if you share the nature of the technical problem here, you may enlist some eager, capable minds to assist you.

Comment

Last night, my husband called Hawaiian Tel again, and will call HP again tonight, too. If this doesn't work, we are returning the pc to Costco. I really hope we don't have to... I'd hate to return a pc after we loaded it with all our personal info.
                              If you have to return the PC you should remove the personal info stuff. Whatever they are going to send back to you may not be the same unit you sent them.

And if I may hazard a guess about your problem. Are you having problems trying to setup the wireless connection between your PC and the Hawaiian Tel DSL router? If so have you made an attempt to connect your PC to the router via a wired connection?

Comment

Working...
                              X