Website for Computer Q&As

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Website for Computer Q&As

True but in this case you don't want to pass 1000 Mbps signals up to the router.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      True but in this case you don't want to pass 1000 Mbps signals up to the router.
      The computer will adjust to the router's capabilities. That's why the NIC is rated 10/100/1000 MB/sec.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Which means that computer will be trying to send signals in the 1000 Mbps range. What I don't know at this time is what does the router do when it detects such signals? Does it handle such signals and still keep on working or does it go bonkers on seeing signals 1/10 or less of the time length it suppose to handle?

Comment

Which means that computer will be trying to send signals in the 1000 Mbps range. What I don't know at this time is what does the router do when it detects such signals? Does it handle such signals and still keep on working or does it go bonkers on seeing signals 1/10 or less of the time length it suppose to handle?
          It will gear down to the fastest speed bi-directional communication can occur at.

Comment

Thanks for the information here. I looked up the specs for the two HP computers (URLs are at the bottom of this post for reference) and found that the Ethernet connector on your old computer can either do 10 or 100 Mbps (Mega bits per second). While the new computer's Ethernet connector can do either 10, 100 or 1000 Mbps.

I couldn't find any reference to the A90-75C02-07 on the Westell web site. The question that lingers in mind is that the Westell unit can either handle 10 or 100 Mbps, but what happens to the Westell unit if it detects signals in the 1000 Mbps range?
            So sorry, I gave you the wrong model no. Duh. It's Westell Model no. 7500.

Another quick question by any chance did your new computer come with a network cable? If so did it say if the cable is a CAT-5 or a CAT-6 cable? And the cable that you are using now on the new computer that is working, is it the cable that the old computer used to use?

One hint tho. If you do go out and a buy a new cable for the new computer buy only CAT-5 cable. It is rated for 10/100 Mbps speeds only, while the CAT-6 cable is rated for 10/100/1000 Mbps speeds.

HP Pavilion p6267c:
            http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...reg_R1002_USEN

HP Pavilion a375c:
            http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...reg_R1002_USEN
            Right now, there is a CAT5 cable connected to the new pc. This is the cable that came with the router from Hawn Tel, and what we've been using with the old pc before we got the new one. (BTW, it's a pretty new router and cable... we got it maybe six or eight months ago.)

The cable connected to the old pc is CAT5E. I'm pretty sure this came with the new pc. I know my hub tried switching them back and forth, tho, and it didn't seem to correct the problem.

Thanks much again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
              So sorry, I gave you the wrong model no. Duh. It's Westell Model no. 7500.
              I suspect the first model number you gave was from the silver plate on the bottom of the unit. By any chance is that C a 0? So instead of saying:

A90-75C02-07

It might be:

A90-75002-07

Comment

I suspect the first model number you gave was from the silver plate on the bottom of the unit. By any chance is that C a 0? So instead of saying:

A90-75C02-07

It might be:

A90-75002-07
                I think you're right. Sorry! And I read it using a flashlight and magnifying glass!

Comment

Not a problem, things like this happens. At least now I got the right 126 page manual:

URL (it's in PDF):

http://www.westell.com/images/downlo..._UserGuide.pdf

Comment

Thank you for the links, Helen!

Comment

We give up. We will be returning the computer to Costco soon. After weeks of troubleshooting internet problems, it finally started working on its own. Now, the DVD player doesn't work (it was working fine before). My husband called HP, and worked with them for hours on this. He's reformatted the hard drive three times already, but still no good. We're so tired of this. We're thinking of switching to Dell or Mac.

Comment

I will never buy an HP product again. The few times my family or I have bought an HP product we end up having major problems. I spent countless hours on the phone with HP tech support solving the problems I was having with my wireless adaptor to get it fixed. Months later it would die randomly and I ended up doing a new install of XP. Now, weeks later, it won't even start and is an expensive paperweight.
                        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                          I will never buy an HP product again.
                          I'm with you there. I have an HP as our primary box at home, and have had a number of major failures and issues in the past year. Fortunately, I have very good friends who are computer techs, and together we've been able to resolve a lot of issues.

P.S. to craigwatanabe - your assessment (in a different thread) of potential hard drive failure, upon hearing that I was dropping drivers, was on the nose. I do regular backups (to multiple places) and was able to get the drive replaced BEFORE the other one conked out - but it was headed there - so everything was easily salvaged.

Comment

i just bought a new Toshiba Satellite laptop - turns out it is now Consumer Reports "Top Pick"! I also just got a new wireless modem from Hawn Tel & it worked fine the first time I hooked it up - secured network & everything. I read a lot of reviews for computers before I made my purchase and HP was NOT reviewed well. I will happily buy HP printers but will never buy an HP computer.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                              I will never buy an HP product again.
                              Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              I have an HP as our primary box at home, and have had a number of major failures and issues in the past year.
                              Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              I read a lot of reviews for computers before I made my purchase and HP was NOT reviewed well. I will happily buy HP printers but will never buy an HP computer.
                              Oh well, now you tell me

We've been happy with our old HP, but the HPs at my workplace are the pits.

Comment

There are some things you simply don't buy even from a reputable manufacturer like HP. HP currently is known for making printers. Their computers suck big time. In the past HP made great mainframe machines for business like the HP3000. When they entered the PC market they lacked that expertise. Eventually they merged with Compaq and pretty soon they were developing better PC's. But somewhere along the line their computers began to suck again.

I've seen a lot of computers on my test benches and right behind Dell was HP. Cheap components, cheap motherboards. Companies such as Dell, HP, Acer, sell disposable computers. Proton made a great computer but was too expensive to market against them and they soon fell the wayside.

Toshiba is the way to go if you want the best bang for the buck. Not the best but for the price you get a reliable computer.

Comment

Working...
                                X