Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Haiku Stairs hiking @ night

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
    I was just asking you to step out of reality for a minute or two and imagine how awesome it would be to look out over the view and/or the spooky things one might encounter over the course of the hike. We've already discussed the dangers of the Stairs in another thread and how irresponsible it is to put rescuers at risk and run up tax dollars for idiots. I'm NOT advocating the hiking at night, just wanted to imagine what it might be like.
    Okay...stepping out of reality...**looks around** yeah kinda cool, nice way up here.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      The reality is use common sense, if it looks dangerous it probably is so why put yourself in danger's way?
      You're absolutely right, Craig. Hiking up the Haiku Stairs at night carries a lot of risk and presents a possibility of danger. Not only to yourself, but to others.

For that matter, racing your car at 186 mph on the street also presents an endangerment to yourself and others around you, does it not?
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How about adding yet another element of risk. Climb it at night, alone , and stone drunk.

Comment

And barefoot. Naked!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

And barefoot. Naked!
            I'd light up that trail just see that!

Comment

When the Feds ran Haiku stairs, all you needed to do was sign in. Perhaps we had to sign out as well, I don't recall.

When Hon C&C took over it all went to hell - starting after some (alleged) vandalism to some of the steps.

Since then we have (alleged) resident complaints of parking on their streets and other manufacured BS.

Perhaps it is time to prohibit explorerers from Mt. Everest, time to prohibit deep sea research and telescopes on Mauna Kea.

If there is a genuine, ever-present danger (such as at blowhole and the lava flows on Kilauea), then it's reasonable. But this is Mufi Pantiwaistaman.

Next step: close all hiking trails.

K!
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

here is a website with a lot of info on the history of the stairs...nothing too recent though.
                http://www.friendsofhaikustairs.org

Last edited by helen; December 30, 2009, 11:26 AM. Reason: use up less horiztonal space
                the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

I don't even know where you would go to park to access the stairs! I do remember reading that people didn't like climbers parking on their street
                  but I don't know where.

Comment

It wasn't so much the street parking, it was more that some hikers would take shortcuts thru people's properties sometimes damaging ornamental lawn items and plants along the way. Some even block driveways. It's those relatively few that make it bad for everyone. Mutual respect is all it takes for everyone to get along.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      It wasn't so much the street parking, it was more that some hikers would take shortcuts thru people's properties sometimes damaging ornamental lawn items and plants along the way. Some even block driveways. It's those relatively few that make it bad for everyone. Mutual respect is all it takes for everyone to get along.
                      Right, now I remember. There was also some situation where their garbage pickup was hampered due to cars on the common area.
                      Your last sentence is absolutely correct!

Today there is a great shaft of light on part of the stairs giving off an amazing glow even though there is hardly any sun, it's in the right spot!

Comment

The Coast Guard manning the LORAN handled access to Haiku stairs for years, with professionalism and panache. They logged people in before they climbed, provided parking, and I don't EVER recall hearing of anyone needing rescue (though there might have been a sprained ankle or two).

But I guess MUFI has decided: "We don't need it - We can't afford it."

Then give it to the "Friends," and let them manage the upkeep and liability.

MUFI HANNIMAN is the wimpiest mayor we have ever had.

K!
                        ~ ~

Comment

When does Mufi's Reign of Terror finally end?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

when does mufi's reign of terror finally end?
                            not soon enough!!!!!!!! He's such an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                              not soon enough!!!!!!!! He's such an asshole.
                              Goofy Mufi.
                              Rumor has it he'll leave office early to run for some OTHER government post.
                              Since people in Hawaii vote on name recognition rather than performance, we may have him as governor, senator or congressman....

God help us!

Mufi Hanneman and Ed Case. Two names to be avoided at the ballots.
                              K-
                              ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                              X