Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Obama Years

Obama's first year is near completion.
    With the recent passing of his health care for better or worse, and surviving the right's death march obsession and obstructionism towards his very existence, I give him a healthy 6 of 10 mark.
    To have managed so well in the face of such overwhelming adversity, combined with the total lack of support from the cons is an astonishing accomplishment from The Man From Oahu.
    Many 'jury's still out' factors keep him from scoring higher in my book, but he's still got many of those issues in focus.
    Many things left to do, just from the original list, but he's gotten done a surprising amount that is proving positive in these short months.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: The Obama Years

If 9 or 10 is an 'A', 8 is a 'B', 7 is a 'C', and 6 is a 'D', then I agree. I wouldn't call it healthy, though.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

According to the polls, the only issue people really care about right now is the economy. It is too early to judge on that issue. At matapule's fale, we have learned to cope with the situation, and like $4 gasoline, you eventually get used to it. Still have plenny fun.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/...6241261169427/

I voted for Ralph Nader. He's a tough grader.

Comment

Too soon to tell, the mid-term elections will say a lot of how the American public feels about him and the Dems, because it could easily carry over into the 2012 elections. But way too early to tell I think after one year....look at Bush within 9 months of office his approval ratings were 90%, similiar numbers Senior Bush had and in a matter of time their ratings were in the toilet.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            But way too early to tell I think after one year....look at Bush within 9 months of office his approval ratings were 90%
            No! Please don't let us be THAT stupid! Where are my fellow 10%ers?

Yes, it's only one year, but packed full of notable accomplishments and non. And all has happened with the right being as obstinately obstructionist and partisan as possible while we are still waging two wars and in multi-crisis mode as a country. Typically filthy non-caring cowards. Constantly proving they don't deserve any place in governing our society.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              look at Bush within 9 months of office his approval ratings were 90%, similiar numbers
              9 months after Bush took office, the country had just undergone a major terrorist attack, so that's not really a fair president to judge Obama against.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Well to be honest nothing's in the bag until it's IN THE BAG. What's in Obama's bag? Accepting the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  What's in Obama's bag?
                  Oooh ooh! Lemme guess! Sunglasses, sunscreen, Foodland Maika'i card, The Bus December 2009 pass -- OK maybe not the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                    Oooh ooh! Lemme guess! Sunglasses, sunscreen, Foodland Maika'i card, The Bus December 2009 pass -- OK maybe not the last one.
                    At least he got that done.

Comment

Well to be honest nothing's in the bag until it's IN THE BAG. What's in Obama's bag? Accepting the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing.
                      He replaced a lying war monger of the worst kind by not continuing that mind set, and regardless of sending more troops he aims to leave the area. Bush planned on staying, forever.
                      Nobel Peace Prize? A mere trinket of thanx for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        He replaced a lying war monger of the worst kind by not continuing that mind set, and regardless of sending more troops he aims to leave the area. Bush planned on staying, forever.
                        Nobel Peace Prize? A mere trinket of thanx for that.
                        He still hasn't done anything yet.

Comment

He still hasn't done anything yet.
                          Major, historic Health Care revision? Oh, that's right, the Repubs are taking credit for that.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            Major, historic Health Care revision? Oh, that's right, the Repubs are taking credit for that.
                            I believe the virtue of said revision is under serious debate at this time.

I was under the impression that President Obama and the democrats would fight hard for a single payer system or a public option. I did not see that here. The democrats essentially were taking cues from Lieberman who pooh poohed everything from the public option to expanded medicare. They allowed Senator Baucus to take the lead in conjuring a bill that mandates private health insurance, but is devoid of a public option. Indeed, Obama has spent more time attempting to convince us that he did not run on a public option platform despite indications otherwise. Furthermore, talking about the amount of money dumped on the senate by the health insurance industry's lobbyists is opening another can of worms.

Howard Dean briefly spoke against this, but quickly fell back in line. Going contrary just for the sake of it? Really Dr. Dean? I'm now glad I never had the opportunity to vote for you in 2004.

Even the House democrats who apparently have a bill with the public option are indicating that they are ready to drop it.

If I had to somehow call this an accomplishment, I would have to specify that creating a bill that somehow has met the disapproval of everyone in the spectrum from conservatives to liberals, for the exception of the insurance companies, is some kind of accomplishment.

And saying that Except For The Mandate And No Public Option, HCR Is Exactly Like What Obama Promised is tantamount to saying that "If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate."
                            Last edited by Vanguard; December 29, 2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I agree. It really degrades the value of the prize if someone can get it just for being acting like he's a rock star. I won't say this if he had brought peace to the middle east or stopped a genocide. But as of yet he's done nothing of the kind.

Well he did raise poor and working people's taxes last April and caused a spike in foreign car sales at taxpayer expense. That's about it.

Interesting that he didn't win this year's Nobel Prize for Economics.

Comment

Working...
                              X