The Obama Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Obama Years

Let's wait until next year to give Barack a pat on the back for a job well done. For now though I've learned not to celebrate before the game is over.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
      9 months after Bush took office, the country had just undergone a major terrorist attack, so that's not really a fair president to judge Obama against.
      Exactly. The reason for both President Bush's high approval ratings at certain points of their presidency were based on the 9/11 attacks and the Gulf War ending in 1991. I remember being in Chicago for the parade welcoming home the troops, it looked like Senior Bush was on his way to an easy re-election the following year. Approval ratings can change very quickly, but I say give Obama more time, my daughter turns one years old on New Years Day and is starting to walk, kind of like a President in his first year, he's just learning the ropes right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
        I believe the virtue of said revision is under serious debate at this time."
        In some circles, yes, but not everywhere. Let me make clear that I am a strong proponent of the public option. Obama, the Dems, and I soon realized that a truly comprehensive health care plan incluuding a public option was so innovative that it was beyond the comprehension of many (read Lieberman). I would rather have half a pie than no pie at all. This bill will continue to be modified over the years (as was/is social security and medicare) and eventually will include a public option, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Although was initially disappointed, I think this bill is a huge step forward and is a first step in removing the strangle hold the insurance companies have on the health care system. I LOVE my medicare plan!

I urge everyone to work for candidates (of whatever party) who support a public option in health care.

On this one issue Obama did a masterful job with getting his nose under the tent.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I'd rather have the pie too, but faced with the limited A-or-B choice between having no pie with no fine -- or be forced by the government to purchase one from a short list of for-profit bakeries, and then get fined for having no pie -- I'd be forced to choose no pie with no fine. Of course, I'd much rather have the public option pie or the single payer system pie that the rest of the advanced world enjoys.

So ... a public option may be more acceptable to many, read Lieberman, sooner or later? What will change their minds? In Obama's case, what will change his mind again? What is it that Obama, the Dems, and yourself are waiting for exactly to begin seriously advocating this now abandoned position?

If you're all looking for a hypermajority in the senate, I seriously doubt that is going to occur in light of current events. The already burdened working and middle class may not necessarily vote for the same party whose plans will contribute to their financial problems.

The people may not even vote for those who publicly advocate for a public option since they already did that with Obama and we're still witnessing that about face (fool me once ...). Obama and the dems might have attempted to mitigate this by not having the bill come into effect until after the 2012 elections. However, I believe the voters will have just a little bit more foresight this time around and not simply wait for the writing on the wall to negatively impact them. I hope they go for a third party in 2012, because this blue team versus red team stuff seems more dysfunctional than ever.

If it is indeed a removal of a huge stranglehold, then why have the insurance companies not been so loudly complaining? You'd think they'd be just a wee bit irate after throwing so much lobby money at our senators.

"In short, this is not about improving the health of the American people. It is about passing something-- anything-- to keep the Obama administration from ending up with egg on its face by being unable to pass a bill, after so much hype and hoopla."
          Last edited by Vanguard; December 30, 2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            Let's wait until next year to give Barack a pat on the back for a job well done.
            Frankly, I'm for waiting until his term(s) ends, then we can pass judgment on his entire presidency. Until then --- keep working, Mister President, you have a LOT to get done! Back-pats aren't why you went for this job, and you'll get plenty when you are finished (if you earn them).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Frankly, I'm for waiting until his term(s) ends, then we can pass judgment on his entire presidency. Until then --- keep working, Mister President, you have a LOT to get done! Back-pats aren't why you went for this job, and you'll get plenty when you are finished (if you earn them).
              Over the years of talking to people, I've noticed that those who are smooth talkers love pats on the back. Those who shun the public eye tend to keep working and shun the limelight. Obama is a smooth talker.

Comment

Since we're online, I'm struck by the sheer, nasty volume of anti-Obama (they claim it's anti-government) bandwidth being wasted in the off-topic sections of discussion forums. The posts are always long, angry, surprisingly similar and they do the electronic version of shouting down anyone who disagrees.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Cut some slack.
                  Not only has Obama the responsibility of projecting responsibility of government after the irresponsible Bush II years, he also has to prove to the country that a "black" (i.e. a president of partial African heritage) has what it takes to lead.
                  It's a wide role to fill, and to his credit the 'blackness' issue has not yet reared its ugly head.
                  So far he's done better than some. I hope he once and for all levels the 'racial' playing field. It's about time.

K*
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    Cut some slack.
                    Not only has Obama the responsibility of projecting responsibility of government after the irresponsible Bush II years, he also has to prove to the country that a "black" (i.e. a president of partial African heritage) has what it takes to lead.
                    It's a wide role to fill, and to his credit the 'blackness' issue has not yet reared its ugly head.
                    So far he's done better than some. I hope he once and for all levels the 'racial' playing field. It's about time.

K*
                    I'm not too concerned about his racial background. I'm more concerned about his merit. The leader could be a green-skinned Orion for all I care.

As for leveling the racial playing field, let me know when we have a Filipino-American US President, or a Native Hawaiian in the Oval Office. Sorry, but black and white don't concerned me much when I'm of a totally different color than black or white.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

We haven't even had a native Hawaiian on "Star Trek."

Yet.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Obama is a smooth talker.
                        Why do you say that?, because he can pronounce nuclear? Aren't Limbarf, Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity, Palin smooth talkers? I really don't understand what you mean here.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                          or be forced by the government to purchase one from a short list of for-profit bakeries, and then get fined for having no pie -- I'd be forced to choose no pie with no fine.
                          What you are leaving out is that you will get a reduced rate from that "for profit" company if you meet income guidelines. And yes, I am in favor of forcing people to have health insurance rather than having none and forcing the public to pay for their care when they become ill. It is sort of like the motorcycle helmet law...if you are too stupid not to wear a helmet in a relatively dangerous activity, then you need to be forced.

What is it that Obama, the Dems, and yourself are waiting for exactly to begin seriously advocating this now abandoned position?
                          Speaking only for myself, I have always advocated the public option and continue to do so. BTW, I don't identify myself as a Dem.

If you're all looking for a hypermajority in the senate, I seriously doubt that is going to occur in light of current events.
                          Eventually, the Repubs will take ownership of health care reform as they have done for social security and medicare which they originally vigorously opposed.

The already burdened working and middle class
                          Burdened in what respect? I identify myself as economically middle class and I don't feel "overburdened."

He's been listening to too much Limbarf!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            As for leveling the racial playing field, let me know when we have a Filipino-American US President, or a Native Hawaiian in the Oval Office. .
                            I just want the best person in office regardless of race, creed, or cultural background. Given the choices in the last election, we have the better person in office.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              What you are leaving out is that you will get a reduced rate from that "for profit" company if you meet income guidelines.
                              I'm curious, is this alleged reduced rate that the needy will receive based on rates before or after the rate hikes American consumers of private health insurance have been experiencing?

If Medicaid can't fill in the gaps and save millions of Americans who slipped through the cracks, why would I trust a private industry that has thrown millions of dollars at our politicians? The abuse of having mandated privatized services is very real, and I'll continue to complain bitterly about this bill and advocate a better way and not simply fall in line due to party loyalty or worrying about who's taking credit for what.

What's more, we have absolutely no reason to believe that this bill is just a foundation for what democrats will eventually work on this bill and include a public option. Especially seeing as how we were made the same promise years ago with No Child Left Behind. The track record for passing flawed legislation and fixing it in a timely fashion simply isn't there.

And yes, I am in favor of forcing people to have health insurance rather than having none and forcing the public to pay for their care when they become ill. It is sort of like the motorcycle helmet law...if you are too stupid not to wear a helmet in a relatively dangerous activity, then you need to be forced.
                              Well, seeing as how the above perspective is coming from someone who is covered by Medicare and has been eligible for the national health care plan of Mexico, forgive me if I have to crane my head and look past the horse to even attempt to see eye to eye with you, especially where that 'too stupid' comment is concerned, which appears to attempt to draw a conspicuous parallel to uninsured Americans.

Frankly, I see you as about as much in touch and empathetic concerning this matter as the people of the senate and congress who have their own superior, taxpayer funded, government health plans. Apparently you, and the vast majority of politicians, and the other rank and file proponents of this bill have forgotten what it truly means to make too little to afford real health insurance, make too much to qualify for medicaid, and be too young to qualify for Medicare. That is a serious danger facing the uninsured in this matter.

Speaking only for myself, I have always advocated the public option and continue to do so. BTW, I don't identify myself as a Dem.
                              I never said you were a democrat, but you clearly identified yourself with Obama and the dems in a previous post on this thread:

Obama, the Dems, and I soon realized that a truly comprehensive health care plan incluuding a public option was so innovative that it was beyond the comprehension of many (read Lieberman).
                              Eventually, the Repubs will take ownership of health care reform as they have done for social security and medicare which they originally vigorously opposed.
                              One may argue the need on the part of both teams to take ownership and lord over such things is one of the things that lead to hastily written, dysfunctional legislation in the first place. I can't wait until someone of consequence in DC decides to be the bigger adult.

Burdened in what respect? I identify myself as economically middle class and I don't feel "overburdened."
                              Lucky you. I'm certain our elected officials share your feelings, or in this case, lack of.

Are you still in Mexico, or have you returned to the USA recently?
                              Last edited by Vanguard; December 31, 2009, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Why do you say that?, because he can pronounce nuclear? Aren't Limbarf, Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity, Palin smooth talkers? I really don't understand what you mean here.
                                Okay let me say it again...Obama is a smooth talker. Now let me explain it to you. He can articulate, he speaks, people listen. He doesn't speak defensively. He accepts blame. Smooth!

Now why is it you get so defensive about Obama and then start to compare him against conservatives such as Limbaugh and the others? This thread is about Obama not them.

And let's talk about pronounciation. It's LIMBAUGH not Limbarf. It's okay to call someone a bad person, but to resort to name-calling is hitting below the belt. If Rush Limbaugh and the others are aiming low in their attacks at a Liberal, do you counter by doing the same? It only shows you are just as bad as he is. You are better than that, anything less shows your true colors.

I'm a Republican but you don't see me calling Obama sick names or Peloski for that matter. Rush may, but you shouldn't as I don't. You and I should know better than to reduce ourselves to the level of our adversaries. Heck even David Letterman teases Palin but never calls her anything but Palin because that's her name, nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                                X