Hawaii-themed Restaurants Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii-themed Restaurants Abroad

I just received an email from a reader of my blog telling me about a Hawaii local style restaurant in Chicago (Obama's other home away from home) called Aloha Eats - A Hawaiian Grill.

The dishes he mentions and showcases on his blog from the place look to be an accurate representation of what we get here in the islands. Well, except he says plate lunch Macaroni Salad is always served WARM. No, no, no! It should always be served CHILLED!

With Hawaii's cuisine in the spotlight more than ever before thanks to our President, these Hawaii-themed restaurants on the CONUS and abroad surely must be reaping the benefits of more business from the curious. Especially when in the media they see Obama and his family here eating things like plate lunches and shave ice.

From Washington state to Washington DC, to China, Italy and everywhere else on the planet, what Hawaii-themed restaurant(s) are you aware of in your neck of the woods?

If you've eaten there, mention what's good and not so good on the menu, as well as how accurate it is in preparation and presentation to what we get here in the islands.

We'll probably hear the name 'L&L' and "in Vegas" mentioned more than a few times in this thread.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hawaii-themed Restaurants Abroad

Well I live south of Seattle in the suburbs, and we frequent Saimin Says in Des Moines and the Pac Island Grill in Federal Way. I work in the south end of Seattle near Georgetown so I also occasionally go to the Kauai Family Restaurant. We feel blessed to have actual mom and pop joints near us. The malasadas on Saturday mornings at Kauai Fam are pretty special. It is pretty laid back at Saimin Says and the folks working there always like to talk story. the Pac Island Grill has live music quite often on the weekends,and the bbq chicken is my favorite.
    The L&L's are starting to dot the landscape, but I prefer the mom and pops.

Comment

Yup, we have an L&L here that we've never eaten at. We never ate there when we lived over there either. And we have lots of "shaved ice" places, I always yell at them, "It's SHAVE ICE" as we pass. They're okay, but once you have real shave ice, it's not the same.

There's Kona Grill, but it's not real Hawaiian fare. Roy's is a Hawaiian fusion, but with $40 offerings of "Hawaiian-Style Mixed Plates" featuring "Blue Cheese & Bacon Crowned Grilled Filet Mignon & Teppanyaki Seared Tiger Shrimp, Butternut Squash Puree, and Peppercorn Veal Demi"- well, that is a far cry from the mac salad and rice. And then there's Trader Vic's. So yeah- no shrimp wagons on the side of the road here. That one on Kam Hwy was soo good!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Shiftless Pilgrim is right in that we are fortunate to have so many Hawaiian-style restaurants in the region. Others include the fantastic Kona Kitchen in Seattle (owned by actor Yuji Okumoto, and home to a monthly kanikapila, as well as other performances by local musicians); Bobby's Hawaiian Style Restaurant and Oahu's Hawaiian Restaurant in Everett, and the relatively new Aloha Kitchen in Silverdale.

Comment

One thing I notice about the menus from these restaurants. Spam musubi is expensive on the mainland--2.29, 2.50, and 3.50!

Comment

I keep thinking that I really need to buy a shave ice machine and sell them during the summers, along with used Aloha shirts.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              One thing I notice about the menus from these restaurants. Spam musubi is expensive on the mainland--2.29, 2.50, and 3.50!
              IIRC, a can of SPAM is more expensive on the mainland than Hawaii due to low demand, hence lowered supply (purchased by the retailer in smaller quantities versus bulk). Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Most likely all of you have been to the California Hotel in the "old school" downtown part of Las Vegas. In there is a store named Vegas 808, who sells gourmet snacks. Most popular being their beef jerky and Cinnamon Bagels, as well as this interesting brand of Lup Cheong that's made in California. You can find that product in Chinatown right here in Honolulu. Go figure.

Right across the hallway on the same mezzanine level in "The Cal" is Aloha Specialties, offering all the usual plate lunch fare you get here at home.

On the outskirts of Las Vegas you'll also find some Hawaii-themed eateries. One that we tried is Maui Rose, which has mostly a Japanese and Korean theme to it. Not bad.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                I keep thinking that I really need to buy a shave ice machine and sell them during the summers, along with used Aloha shirts.
                Heh. We have both at our house. When I was packing to move there, my friends kept telling me not to pack my husband's large collection of aloha shirts because, "You don't wear the Aerosmith shirt to the concert." Uh- I beg to differ! EVERYONE here wears them!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                X