Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherlock Holmes

The movie Sherlock Holmes openned on December 25, 2009.

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Did you like it, Helen?

Comment

I went to see this with my dad the day after Christmas. Rude theater goers aside, I enjoyed it. I've never read the Sherlock Holmes stories (although I loved Sherlock Hound growing up!) so I can't say how loyal the film was to the original, but my father and I both found it enjoyable, and it's got me interested in reading the stories now.
      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

A thoroughly unorthodox Holmes film. Although it was handsomely done, I can't really recommend it.

Comment

It had some excitement, lots of implausibility, like Albert said - unorhodox.
          My teen hated it, my wife loved it and I enjoyed it for the entertainment value.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Albert, another friend and I went to the morning showing at the Ward Theater today.

While I am not a fan of the Sherlock Holmes character or storyline, am I not totally clueless about it either. For instance there are couple of times where the house number 221B is shown, but I don't remember every seeing a sign that said "Baker Street" in the movie.

For the movie itself, as an action movie I think it passes on that genre. I did find trouble understanding what the actors were saying at times, but there were a few times that a scene would replay itself.

Overall I say it's an average movie.

Comment

Saw it today at Dole. I am a SH fan, particularly Jeremy Brett's take on him.

I was a little apprehensive with the director's style, but I think he did a good job. It certainly pushed the AC Doyle envelope, but I bet the author would be delighted to see the film.

The acting was first rate. The story was enjoyable. The filmmaking was great.

I'd give it *** 1/2 stars (out of four).

Comment

I have to disagree with the idea that Conan Doyle would have liked this movie. I really don't think so. A basic premise of Holmes is brains over brawn, and this movie totally ignores that.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                  I have to disagree with the idea that Conan Doyle would have liked this movie. I really don't think so. A basic premise of Holmes is brains over brawn, and this movie totally ignores that.
                  Agreed.
                  Two black cats crossing your path in a row would be insignificant to SH, but in HT? We must give them pause, and refine the logic behind such so-called coincidence... not to mention that they were twice repeated.

ACD had a different, though similar pattern in mind, but this is modernized to fit to our current paradigm.

Still entertaining, but not true to the original.

But, that really doesn't matter? Does it, Watson?

K>
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

In this movie even when Sherlock Holmes was doing physical stuff, he was thinking ahead of what he was planning on doing which in the movie translated to a slow paced narrative of the steps involved, then followed by the actual deed in it's normal pace. And this style wasn't over used in the movie.

Comment

I gotta agree with you, Albert. It's very different from the original conception of Conlan Doyle. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson were not, and should not be, action heroes.

However, I did enjoy the movie somewhat because of the interaction of Robert Downey, Jr., and Jude Law. I'm just concerned that now days, it seems that everyone has to be an action hero if they are to be in a movie. One of the old movie/TV series roles I would love to see resurrected would be Dashiell Hammett's "The Thin Man" (William Powell/Myra Loy and Peter Lawford/Phyllis Kirk). I think Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie would be perfect for the role, but, in the current cinematic reality, they would probably be turned into action heroes. Where's the fun in that?

Comment

Arthur Conan Doyle's Holmes had fights in many of his adventures.

Watson says Holmes is an expert at singlestick, with a sword and at fencing. He uses a riding crop.

Watson describes Holmes as a formidable bare-knuckle fighter. In The Sign of the Four, Holmes introduces himself to a prize-fighter. It is mentioned also in "Gloria Scott" that Holmes trained as a boxer.

Holmes engages in hand to hand combat with his adversaries on numerous occasions throughout the stories.

In "The Adventure of the Empty House", Holmes recounts to Watson how he used martial arts to overcome Professor Moriarty and fling his adversary to his death at the Reichenbach Falls.

He states that "I have some knowledge, however, of baritsu, or the Japanese system of wrestling, which has more than once been very useful to me." The name "baritsu" appears to be a reference to the real-life martial art of bartitsu.

(from Wikipedia)

Comment

Creative-1, I bow to your superior memory. It has been well over 40 years since I've read a Holmes tale, and I just don't remember any pugilistic episodes.

Comment

Working...
                          X