Twenty Ten vs. Two Thousand Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Twenty Ten vs. Two Thousand Ten

Of course we cann always say two-oh-one-oh....
    It has a kind of 'ring...'

Two... Oh... One... Oh...
    Wasn't there a TV show....?

Nah!

K
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      oh-ten? Visayan people will be cracking up about this one
      yes. because of the visayan language and a childhood joke told in hawaiian creole, a certain mathematical error suddenly becomes absolutely true:

2010 = 13+0.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        yes. because of the visayan language and a childhood joke told in hawaiian creole, a certain mathematical error suddenly becomes absolutely true:

2010 = 130+0.
        fixed for accuracy
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I have a similar problem with telling people my address, which is 3070.

If I say ”thirty-seventy,“ people often don't get it.

“Three - oh - seven - oh” - is also hard to comprehend.

I find ”three zero seven zero“ is easiest for people to hear and recognize.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post

Years and street addresses are different animals, tho. We're all living in the same year, so whenever any mention is made of "twenty-ten," you instantly know someone is talking about the year.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm still sticking with this.

I won't be able to wrap my head around all the confusion, even if I live to be C.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post

2010 = 130+0.
                Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                fixed for accuracy
                thx. one constant, no matter what year, is that i'm prone to mathematical errors of the sloppy kind.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post

“Three - oh - seven - oh” - is also hard to comprehend.

I find ”three zero seven zero“ is easiest for people to hear and recognize.
                  I once wrote a check for "Thirteen Hundred Sixty-Five" when I bought a riding lawn mower from Home Depot. The Special Services gal had to call the manager to see if that was acceptable. It's easier to write that than One Thousand Three Hundred Sixty-Five...Good thing the manager was a friend of mine. He his eyes and approved it.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                    Soooo this should be an interesting discussion so its a NEW year and what is the correct wording?
                    ALWAYS precede it with "In The Year of Our Lord..."
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I say 2 thousand and 10 like 75% of the time and twenty 10 25% of the time, so I lean towards the thousand more, but either way is cool !

Comment

I've always despised the use of the word 'and' in a number, unless it's to designate a fractional amount after the whole number (Lincoln notwithstanding).
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

This morning, I said "two thousand ten" to someone, who wrote "2009" by mistake. It just naturally came out that way, for whatever reason.

A FOAFOAF insists that we should say "Zero" and not "Oh"... she says, "Oh" is not a number. She is constantly correcting everyone -- telephone workers, sales people, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                            A FOAFOAF insists that we should say "Zero" and not "Oh"... she says, "Oh" is not a number. She is constantly correcting everyone -- telephone workers, sales people, etc.
                            Heh. I'd probably irked her more if I use a heavy filipino accent when pronouncing "szero? Szero?"
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Two... Oh... One... Oh...
                              Wasn't there a TV show....?
                              DING!

Nine oh two one oh

You can tell I don't watch much TV.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                                Will Andrew Dice Clay have to say "zero" instead of saying "Oh?"

Comment

Working...
                                X