• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Burn a candle for JAL

Japan Airline about to collapse-
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...S&attr=1185799

Re: Let's Burn a candle for JAL

One more lucrative route for Hawaiian Air to consider.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I guess we don't need the Japanese tourists and their money.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        One more lucrative route for Hawaiian Air to consider.
        Confucius say: Cheap, below profit airfares and profitable airlines do not go hand in hand.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          I guess we don't need the Japanese tourists and their money.
          It has a huge cost base and since 2001 has been bailed out by the government on four occasions.
          Sounds like JAL needs new leadership... or at least some leadership.

Public transportation is a huge money-losing business whose costs no one is willing to pay. More money has been thrown into airlines in the last century than they've ever produced, and Buffett has joked that the best thing for airline investors would be to go back in time and shoot the Wright brothers. But the same problems are present in other mass transport like buses, trains, and ferries.

Fedex & UPS, and other frieight carriers, haven't been struggling with bankruptcy and bailouts!
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
            Fedex & UPS, and other frieight carriers, haven't been struggling with bankruptcy and bailouts!
            Most commercial air passenger carriers also carry air freight in the belly of the plane. Air freight has proven to be profitable, often times compensating for expensive passenger services.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Many people don't realize that Japan's economy is doing worse than ours. Lingle knows this, which is why she was in China the other month trying to drum up more tourists.

Here's more on JAL:
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8453398.stm
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8453820.stm

On a side note, Venezuela just devalued their currency by 50%
              http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126316619465423909.html

Think it won't happen here after the Fed Reserve pumped trillions into the economy out of thin air?
              Last edited by Bobinator; January 12, 2010, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                Think it won't happen here after the Fed Reserve pumped trillions into the economy out of thin air?
                What is your solution, Bob?

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  What is your solution, Bob?
                  Seriously stock up on goods, then convert a fair amount into hard tangible assets. Having some extra cash on hand wouldn't hurt either, in case they call bank holidays like they did before. When this happens, they'll ration how much you can take out every week, like say $500/week.

There are 4 things to consider- Our local economy, the national economy, the world economy, and our currency. We're pretty good at looking at the first 2, but we often fail to consider the third and fourth. When other countries fall, we go down with them. The fourth area will be the most devastating. When our currency falls, the cost of everything goes up. We don't produce our own goods anymore. Remember, most currencies are no longer backed by something stable like gold. They're backed by that country's reputation. The U.S.'s reputation is plummeting, because we're printing money out of thin air like mad and keeping interest rates at nearly 0. That's a recipe for massive inflation.
                  Last edited by Bobinator; January 12, 2010, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Bob, you missed my point. If you don't like what Obama did, what would you have done?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                      ... they'll ration how much you can take out every week, like say $500/week.
                      Oh dear, the ATMs already ration me to $600/day.

I'm still having a little trouble making the connection between a South American country devaluing its currency and the Fed/Treasury crashing the American dollar.

Whole-body scanners, H1N1, politics, collapsing airlines... it must really take a lot of your time to keep up with all these dire predictions and conspiracies.
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Choose your poison - Chicken Little or the Boy Who Cried Wolf?

I don't personally fear the collapse of society in my neck of the woods, so I don't spend much (if any) time worrying about the possibility. Spread a little love, you'll get plenty in return. Spread fear, then, well, choose your poison.
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Bob, you missed my point. If you don't like what Obama did, what would you have done?
                          Let 'em fail. Bankruptcies and buyouts are cures for bad management. The initial impact will be painful, but recovery will be quicker. Feeding poorly run organizations that refuse to solve the problems will only serve to drag everyone down in the long run.

Take Goldman Sachs for example. They received billions in bailout funds, but they have over $1.5 Trillion in assets. They didn't need the funds, but they squandered it on humongous bonuses. That's where OUR money has been going.

Goldman Sachs to pay out $23 Billion in bonuses- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/bu...p=1&sq=&st=nyt

"Recession is the cure for an overinflated economy" [Peter Schiff, President, Euro Pacific Capital]

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                            Oh dear, the ATMs already ration me to $600/day.

I'm still having a little trouble making the connection between a South American country devaluing its currency and the Fed/Treasury crashing the American dollar.

Whole-body scanners, H1N1, politics, collapsing airlines... it must really take a lot of your time to keep up with all these dire predictions and conspiracies.
                            Perhaps there isn't a direct connection, but we're following the same path that lead them to devaluate their currency by 50%. I can't get into the details here, but by borrowing and spending money we don't have is bringing us there real quick.

Regarding the time to keep up, it takes effort to undo all the media driven propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                              Spread fear, then, well, choose your poison.
                              A quote from the movie "Troy"- "The problem with you [Achilles], is that you don't fear anything. Fear is good. Fear is useful".

Not being afraid won't ensure you have that deluxe roll of toilet paper when you need it most.

Comment

Working...
                              X