Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69

Thread: Haiti earthquake disaster

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Haiti earthquake disaster

    People who want to help those affected by the Haitian earthquake can make a donation to the American Red Cross International Response Fund at www.Redcross.org or by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS.
    Donations can also be sent to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013, or online at www.redcross.org.
    Locally, you can also call in your donations to the Hawaii Red Cross at 739-8109 or mail your donation to American Red Cross, Hawaii State Chapter, 4155 Diamond Head Road, Honolulu, HI 96816.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    My donation is going to an organization called "Doctors Without Borders" which was already working a mission in Haiti. They are pretty much without any supplies right now. Their website is www.msf.org.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Sydney J. Harris

  3. #3

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. Christopher Hitchens

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Both of those posts are excellent suggestions. Thanks!
    I'm a big fan of Doctors Without Borders, who provide a fantastic service. I also recommend the medical Mercy ships, http://www.mercyships.org/content/home . My father (a doctor) was involved in the beginning of this group and served on board the ship for a while.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    I chose Doctors without Borders at the time of the Indonesian Tsunami, instead of the Red Cross, because I really appreciate what they do in going into areas that are sometimes dangerous (Sudan for example) and for doing their work without being associated with a religious group. and the Red Cross is such a huge well funded group that I prefer giving what little I can to a smaller group with greater needs. There was a film clip on MSNBC today that said they are working totally without any meds in Haiti. They have also lost some staff members to the earthquake also.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Sydney J. Harris

  6. #6

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Meanwhile, in addition to Pat Robertson's un-helpful comments, we also have Rush Limbaugh's heartless take on aid (from the AP):

    The White House is firing back at Rush Limbaugh after the conservative talk radio host urged people not to donate to relief efforts in Haiti.

    Spokesman Robert Gibbs says there are always people who say "really stupid things" during a crisis. He says it's sad that Limbaugh would use the power of his pulpit to convince people not to assist those in need.

    Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday that he wouldn't trust that money donated to Haiti through the White House Web site would actually go to the relief efforts. He said Americans don't need to contribute to earthquake relief because they already donate to Haiti through their income taxes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Captain Cook, Hawaii
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    I think it is best to give money directly to the charities and one with good track records. Food for the poor http://www.foodforthepoor.org/ has been on the ground in haiti for a long time as well as dominican republic. 97.7 % of monies given go to the needy with less than 1% for administration they are one of the biggest charities in the US.
    $12.00 can feed a family of five for a week. and at this tine of need can mean the difference between life and death.
    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    259

    Thumbs down Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Meanwhile, in addition to Pat Robertson's un-helpful comments, we also have Rush Limbaugh's heartless take on aid (from the AP):

    The White House is firing back at Rush Limbaugh after the conservative talk radio host urged people not to donate to relief efforts in Haiti.

    Spokesman Robert Gibbs says there are always people who say "really stupid things" during a crisis. He says it's sad that Limbaugh would use the power of his pulpit to convince people not to assist those in need.

    Limbaugh said on his radio show Wednesday that he wouldn't trust that money donated to Haiti through the White House Web site would actually go to the relief efforts. He said Americans don't need to contribute to earthquake relief because they already donate to Haiti through their income taxes.
    Rush Limbaugh critics may think he's harsh, but sometimes cold statements bring back the reality to people. This country's government can barely take care of itself and balance a checkbook, but as soon as some third-world country falls apart, we flush money right into it. And then years later, we complain that we're always in debt and the government doesn't help American citizens.

    As someone said in another forum, why not "(this country, this country, or even Big Island)?" Unless you're a dollar-a-day donor to every charitable organization in existence, you shouldn't be hypocritical and feel good about yourself just because you donate only in an emergency. Because 2 weeks later, you're going to walk down the street and totally ignore the bum on the sidewalk with his coin cup... a fellow AMERICAN.

    Third world disaster reliefs don't work. Somalia = FAIL. Sudan = FAIL. Rwanda = FAIL. Haiti will be next.

    I've accepted your opinions. This is mine.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,107

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
    I've accepted your opinions. This is mine.
    WTF?

    People are suffering in Haiti! Don't you have one ounce of compassion in your soul? Your post is very perplexing. I presume that people would never be that mean spirited, but your post proves what a pollyana I am. Matapule has seen people banished from families in Tonga for this kind of insensitivity. I'm flabbergasted!

    BFD, someday, if not already, you will reap the fruits of your callousness.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
    For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.
    Is this an AT&T only number? I'm really text challenged and can't figure out how to do this on my Mobi phone!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,932

    Exclamation Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
    Third world disaster reliefs don't work. Somalia = FAIL. Sudan = FAIL. Rwanda = FAIL. Haiti will be next.
    Sometimes there's too much to do to totally succeed; does that mean we shouldn't try?
    Even American disaster relief fails. Remember Katrina in New Orleans?
    So what - we should turn our backs?

    Is America still 'the world's richest country?' I doubt it. Luxembourg may even be richer, per-capita. Do their governments donate to relief efforts? I don't know.

    I do know that a significant number of beggars in Hawaii, standing on the side of the road with folded cardboard signs that say "will work for food" not only know you won't offer them work or food, but that enough people will give them a dollar or so instead - then after they are satisfied with their take, they walk around the corner to their car - which is much nicer than mine - and drive home, which is also probably nicer than mine. Though some truly are in need.

    If you have compassion, and means, and want to help, check out your chosen charity online, to make certain your money goes where you want it to. We've been piling up tragic earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes and the like quite a bit lately, so there's a lot of need going around.

    Why should we be like the fat-cat bankers and billionaire ripoff artists of whom we have been complaining lately?

    Will the countries be grateful for our help? Probably not, but that's not the point, is it?

    If I am able to help one person who is truly in need, it is worth it to me.

    Here's an interesting list to check out!
    Here's another view, just by GDP, not per-capita!
    Last edited by Kaonohi; January 15th, 2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: List, and another view!
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
    ...as soon as some third-world country falls apart, we flush money right into it.
    I guess you have trouble grasping that your brothers and sisters, fellow human beings on this limited ball of a planet, are hurting, badly, and that this is one of those times where national and political boundaries are irrelevant. Even earthquakes understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    I presume that people would never be that mean spirited...
    Let's hang on to that, matapule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Sometimes there's too much to do to totally succeed; does that mean we shouldn't try?
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Kaonohi.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
    Rush Limbaugh critics may think he's harsh, [...]
    Nah, not harsh. Sick is more appropriate.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    He said Americans don't need to contribute to earthquake relief because they already donate to Haiti through their income taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjd392 View Post
    This country's government can barely take care of itself and balance a checkbook, but as soon as some third-world country falls apart, we flush money right into it. And then years later, we complain that we're always in debt and the government doesn't help American citizens.
    I need to add that it's clear you missed a key point. You are complaining about American governmental aid - while Limbaugh was discouraging individual Americans from contributing. Completely different things, you see?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,107

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Both these stories are terribly sad:
    Something more heart warming is that Costco here in Cabo San Lucas has organized a relief effort for Haiti. Mexicans are coming through big time with donations for their Caribbean neighbors. They know that next time, it might be they needing help. !Viva Mexico!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Haiku & Iolekaa Valley(s)
    Posts
    1,092

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Roy's Hawaii Kai has sold out the first of 2 dinners where Roy is going to cook his "humble" version of Haitian Cuisine. It is a pay what you can meal where you will be given an envelope to put a check in that they will then send on to
    the Red Cross. Each seating is limited to 80 people. Friday is sold out and Sunday is the second date (1/22 & 1/24). They want anyone who would like to attend to and as I said before pay what you can. What a nice thing! I'm going
    Friday.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,243

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Never used Superferry pressed into disaster relief service.

    Link.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Last night at our Waiakea Lions Club general meeting we voted to give $1,000from our club to the local Lions clubs in Haiti for disaster relief thru our Lions Club International Fund (501c3). From there it cuts thru the governmental red tape and gets funds directly to sevice clubs where distribution of supplies and food happen immediately.

    Going thru service organizations such as the Lions, Rotary, Elks, Jaycees allow faster distribution of needed supplies because we work autonomously from governmental agencies and these donations are tax deductable.

    Go to: http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/index.php for more information on how you can help out.

    If you prefer another relief agency here's a clearinghouse of information at: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...i-earthquake/1

    You can go to dinners to support the cause or you can send all of what you spent on a dinner to go directly to relief agencies. Seek out your local Lions club near you to find out how you can help. Every penny counts not just a percentage of it.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 20th, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    [...]
    You can go to dinners to support the cause or you can send all of what you spent on a dinner to go directly to relief agencies.[...]
    If you're referring to the Haitian relief dinner at Roy's...dinner is FREE in exchange for a donation from each customer. I think I heard that Roy hopes that everyone will donate what they feel the meal would cost on a regular night. However, it's the honor system. Leashlaws will probably have more details both before and after the event.

    Are there other HR dinners going on where either a percentage of each customers' tab is being donated or there's some other token offer in exchange for a donation?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    If you're referring to the Haitian relief dinner at Roy's...dinner is FREE in exchange for a donation from each customer. I think I heard that Roy hopes that everyone will donate what they feel the meal would cost on a regular night. However, it's the honor system. Leashlaws will probably have more details both before and after the event.

    Are there other HR dinners going on where either a percentage of each customers' tab is being donated or there's some other token offer in exchange for a donation?
    Well then...let's eat!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    I also must fall on the side on not contributing to the Haitian disaster relief effort. I just don't believe it's compassionate or responsible to send relief for a few weeks or months when the end result will be the continuation of an overpopulated, poverty stricken, crime ridden, environmental disaster zone that Haiti has been for decades preceding this latest event. If you support the effort toward maximizing total human protoplasm (and human suffering) and the consequent minimizing of the planet's diversity of life forms, give all you can - I don't. The wailing of a few million humans in a world of a few billions (also mostly suffering) is faint and little heard amidst the roar of the extinction of dozens, if not hundreds, of entire living species daily.

    Why don't we hear of large support efforts being provided by (or to, if necessary) the Dominican Republic, their neighbors?
    Last edited by salmoned; January 21st, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    I also must fall on the side on not contributing to the Haitian disaster relief effort. I just don't believe it's compassionate or responsible to send relief for a few weeks or months when the end result will be the continuation of an overpopulated, poverty stricken, crime ridden, environmental disaster zone that Haiti has been for decades preceding this latest event. If you support the effort toward maximizing total human protoplasm (and human suffering) and the consequent minimizing of the planet's diversity of life forms, give all you can - I don't. The wailing of a few million humans in a world of a few billions (also mostly suffering) is faint and little heard amidst the roar of the extinction of dozens, if not hundreds, of entire living species daily.

    Why don't we hear of large support efforts being provided by (or to, if necessary) the Dominican Republic, their neighbors?
    because they share the same sentiment as you. That's why they are evil in a world of suffering.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    Why don't we hear of large support efforts being provided by (or to, if necessary) the Dominican Republic, their neighbors?
    Because the Dominican Republic has long been a wealthier nation than Haiti, with stronger building construction - thus, they did not suffer massive devastation as did their neighbor country. Relations between the two nations have been poor for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    The wailing of a few million humans in a world of a few billions (also mostly suffering) is faint...
    I'm sorry, salmoned; I did not realize you suffered from such dramatic hearing loss.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

    Okay, so the Dominicans, who know the Haitians best, are evil and don't want to help. I don't buy it, but you can hold that opinion, Craig. We, on the other hand, who haven't been doing much for the Haitians all along, are good because we now respond in this crisis by sending our troops, taking control of their airport and delaying aid flights in favor of more US military flights. We keep aid in the airport compound rather than air lift it to those in need, but we're doing all we can to help. Yeah, I get it.

    There's a lot of suffering in the world, most of it not in Haiti - are you doing all you can to relieve it? [That's a rhetorical question] I can only ask, 'Why Haiti and why now?" Aren't you just following the latest media blitz, helping these poor bastards (the media) prove how powerful they are, how much money they can focus on a problem, if only to cover up the few real problems we should be addressing? Wouldn't it be a bore if the media focused on a single issue or two for years, or however long it took, until the issue was resolved? Oh look, earthquake in Haiti, send cash now, move on to next minor sensation. Repeat until dead.

    It's not hearing loss, Leo, it's the death knell of all those species (and the constant wailing of ever more human babies being born) that's drowning out the feeble wailing of those suffering Haitians. If you could at least read and quote the whole sentence, you may discover the concept it conveys. It takes 44 days for world population to increase enough to replace Haiti's entire population (about 9 million) - that's a lot of wailing.
    Last edited by salmoned; January 21st, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •