X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Both these stories are terribly sad:
    Something more heart warming is that Costco here in Cabo San Lucas has organized a relief effort for Haiti. Mexicans are coming through big time with donations for their Caribbean neighbors. They know that next time, it might be they needing help. !Viva Mexico!
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Roy's Hawaii Kai has sold out the first of 2 dinners where Roy is going to cook his "humble" version of Haitian Cuisine. It is a pay what you can meal where you will be given an envelope to put a check in that they will then send on to
      the Red Cross. Each seating is limited to 80 people. Friday is sold out and Sunday is the second date (1/22 & 1/24). They want anyone who would like to attend to and as I said before pay what you can. What a nice thing! I'm going
      Friday.

Comment

Never used Superferry pressed into disaster relief service.

Link.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Last night at our Waiakea Lions Club general meeting we voted to give $1,000from our club to the local Lions clubs in Haiti for disaster relief thru our Lions Club International Fund (501c3). From there it cuts thru the governmental red tape and gets funds directly to sevice clubs where distribution of supplies and food happen immediately.

Going thru service organizations such as the Lions, Rotary, Elks, Jaycees allow faster distribution of needed supplies because we work autonomously from governmental agencies and these donations are tax deductable.

Go to: http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/index.php for more information on how you can help out.

If you prefer another relief agency here's a clearinghouse of information at: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...i-earthquake/1

You can go to dinners to support the cause or you can send all of what you spent on a dinner to go directly to relief agencies. Seek out your local Lions club near you to find out how you can help. Every penny counts not just a percentage of it.
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 20, 2010, 12:59 PM.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            [...]
            You can go to dinners to support the cause or you can send all of what you spent on a dinner to go directly to relief agencies.[...]
            If you're referring to the Haitian relief dinner at Roy's...dinner is FREE in exchange for a donation from each customer. I think I heard that Roy hopes that everyone will donate what they feel the meal would cost on a regular night. However, it's the honor system. Leashlaws will probably have more details both before and after the event.

Are there other HR dinners going on where either a percentage of each customers' tab is being donated or there's some other token offer in exchange for a donation?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              If you're referring to the Haitian relief dinner at Roy's...dinner is FREE in exchange for a donation from each customer. I think I heard that Roy hopes that everyone will donate what they feel the meal would cost on a regular night. However, it's the honor system. Leashlaws will probably have more details both before and after the event.

Are there other HR dinners going on where either a percentage of each customers' tab is being donated or there's some other token offer in exchange for a donation?
              Well then...let's eat!

Comment

I also must fall on the side on not contributing to the Haitian disaster relief effort. I just don't believe it's compassionate or responsible to send relief for a few weeks or months when the end result will be the continuation of an overpopulated, poverty stricken, crime ridden, environmental disaster zone that Haiti has been for decades preceding this latest event. If you support the effort toward maximizing total human protoplasm (and human suffering) and the consequent minimizing of the planet's diversity of life forms, give all you can - I don't. The wailing of a few million humans in a world of a few billions (also mostly suffering) is faint and little heard amidst the roar of the extinction of dozens, if not hundreds, of entire living species daily.

Why don't we hear of large support efforts being provided by (or to, if necessary) the Dominican Republic, their neighbors?
                Last edited by salmoned; January 21, 2010, 08:24 AM.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                  I also must fall on the side on not contributing to the Haitian disaster relief effort. I just don't believe it's compassionate or responsible to send relief for a few weeks or months when the end result will be the continuation of an overpopulated, poverty stricken, crime ridden, environmental disaster zone that Haiti has been for decades preceding this latest event. If you support the effort toward maximizing total human protoplasm (and human suffering) and the consequent minimizing of the planet's diversity of life forms, give all you can - I don't. The wailing of a few million humans in a world of a few billions (also mostly suffering) is faint and little heard amidst the roar of the extinction of dozens, if not hundreds, of entire living species daily.

Why don't we hear of large support efforts being provided by (or to, if necessary) the Dominican Republic, their neighbors?
                  because they share the same sentiment as you. That's why they are evil in a world of suffering.

Comment

Because the Dominican Republic has long been a wealthier nation than Haiti, with stronger building construction - thus, they did not suffer massive devastation as did their neighbor country. Relations between the two nations have been poor for a long time.
                    The wailing of a few million humans in a world of a few billions (also mostly suffering) is faint...
                    I'm sorry, salmoned; I did not realize you suffered from such dramatic hearing loss.

Comment

Okay, so the Dominicans, who know the Haitians best, are evil and don't want to help. I don't buy it, but you can hold that opinion, Craig. We, on the other hand, who haven't been doing much for the Haitians all along, are good because we now respond in this crisis by sending our troops, taking control of their airport and delaying aid flights in favor of more US military flights. We keep aid in the airport compound rather than air lift it to those in need, but we're doing all we can to help. Yeah, I get it.

There's a lot of suffering in the world, most of it not in Haiti - are you doing all you can to relieve it? [That's a rhetorical question] I can only ask, 'Why Haiti and why now?" Aren't you just following the latest media blitz, helping these poor bastards (the media) prove how powerful they are, how much money they can focus on a problem, if only to cover up the few real problems we should be addressing? Wouldn't it be a bore if the media focused on a single issue or two for years, or however long it took, until the issue was resolved? Oh look, earthquake in Haiti, send cash now, move on to next minor sensation. Repeat until dead.

It's not hearing loss, Leo, it's the death knell of all those species (and the constant wailing of ever more human babies being born) that's drowning out the feeble wailing of those suffering Haitians. If you could at least read and quote the whole sentence, you may discover the concept it conveys. It takes 44 days for world population to increase enough to replace Haiti's entire population (about 9 million) - that's a lot of wailing.
                      Last edited by salmoned; January 21, 2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

it's the death knell of all those species that's drowning out the feeble human wailing.
                        I personally wish to enjoy every aspect of living, including the requisite killing, not just the 'socially approved' aspects.
                        I love double standards.

Comment

There are at least 3 threads going about Haiti. Based upon those 3 threads (not just this one, but accumulative of the 3), I have a generic observation, to which I am purposely not attaching names or quotes. My observation is about how we react when horrible things happen around us, or to masses elsewhere:

I wonder if the stress about things of which we have no control (such as the sudden death of hundreds of thousands of humans) brings out frustration and fear. So then maybe we focus on things we can "attack" (like other posters) so that we are not left feeling so out of control of life.

OK, carry on, in all 3 threads.
                          Last edited by Amati; January 21, 2010, 02:17 PM.
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            I love double standards.
                            Nice bites, but what's your point? There is no double standard inherent in those statements. I eat by killing, so do you. Do you not enjoy eating? Or living?

Comment

I also must fall on the side on not contributing to the Haitian disaster relief effort. I just don't believe it's compassionate or responsible to send relief for a few weeks or months when the end result will be the continuation of an overpopulated, poverty stricken, crime ridden, environmental disaster zone that Haiti has been for decades preceding this latest event. If you support the effort toward maximizing total human protoplasm (and human suffering) and the consequent minimizing of the planet's diversity of life forms, give all you can - I don't.
                              This is how you treat cattle, not human beings. To advocate letting them suffer and die when they are in immediate need because you think they are overpopulated is destitute of morality and is disgusting.
                              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Leo DiCaprio has just donated $1M (that's right, million) to Haiti Earthquake relief. Thank you, Leo.

Although not a movie lover, I am going to attend all of his future pictures!
                                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                                X