Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Haiti earthquake disaster

Originally posted by salmoned View Post

Stinky, I believe you can answer that question yourself with a little due diligence. You may be referring to Puerto Rico(US), Aruba(Neth), Barbados(UK) or Martinique(Fr)? Just a cursory glance at the list answers the question. A viable comparison can better be made with Cuba - about the same population with nearly 4 times the land area.
    So you are admitting that there is something else and are retreating from your previous position? - "Haiti IS a tropical paradise which has been spoiled by overpopulation (and nothing else)."
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I think that Salmoned is merely pointing out the fact that Haiti's more densely populated neighbors are being supported by some of the world's wealthiest countries, who invest some of their wealth to maintain their tropical paradises. Haiti does not have that support, though it was the first independent nation in Latin America.
      Last edited by turtlegirl; January 25, 2010, 11:23 AM.
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        I think that Salmoned is merely pointing out the fact that Haiti's more densely populated neighbors are being supported by some of the world's wealthiest countries, who invest some of their wealth to maintain their tropical paradises.
        Yes, I can see what he's pointing out and it constitutes a reversal of his position. He said that "Haiti IS a tropical paradise which has been spoiled by overpopulation (and nothing else)." So according to him, poor governance or lack of money (or any other factor) did not spoil Haiti, only overpopulation. Well, Haiti's neighbors have more "overpopulation" and are not spoiled. Thus there are other factors that spoiled Haiti. Perhaps I've misunderstood him or he misspoke, I'm trying to figure that out.
        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          Nor does the statement above clarify your intent.
          Clarifying intent with you is a futile exercise, in which I do not wish to waste my time, nor the patience of others reading this thread. You have made your position clear and have no intention of accepting any other. I can move forward with that knowledge - I care not whether you do the same.

Comment

Leo, If moving forward means responding to every chosen post, without intent or content, keep on truckin', bro.

Stinky, yes, maybe I misspoke. I meant that the population, whether excessive or not, is directly responsible for their situation, including poor governance, lack of money, environmental degradation, etc. (though the unsustainable SIZE of the population contributed mightily to all those issues).

Those other overpopulated caribbean islands are spoiled as well, by the influence and economic infusion of their protector nations (just as many native Hawaiians believe Hawaii is being spoiled by 'outsider' influence and opulence). Their overlarge populations are supported by external inputs, without which their numbers would necessarily collapse.
            Last edited by salmoned; January 25, 2010, 02:19 PM.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              Six boys? Some people are gluttons for punishment. The only thing worse would be six daughters!

But you get the point. Those six boys will support you in your old age through SS contributions, but who is going to support them when they retire? My two children, daughters, have elected not to have children. Who is goinng to support them?

It's a conundrum, but we're way off topic here, and I apologize for it.
              This is why it's a ponzy scheme. One good thing about my boys is that they tell me they will provide for my wife and I when they can. Nice to have doctors and lawyers in the family.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Another case of good intentions gone awry. Or is the motive pure?

Ten Americans are detained by the Haitian govt. when they are caught trying to bus 33 Haitian children over the border into the Dominican Republic.

Guardian angels for those kids. Or child traffickers. Take your pick.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                  Haiti does not have that support, though it was the first independent nation in Latin America.
                  Or maybe... because?

Independence has its costs - remember the struggles of newly independent United States of America. I am pro-independence - this does not mean, however, that we neglect helping our independent, but different, neighbors in need.

K
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Sad article on Haiti's restavek children

http://www.newsweek.com/id/232865

Comment

Working...
                    X