Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Translation please...

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    He is filled with the holy spirit and "speaking in tongues." Since we are not filled with the holy spirit, we have no idea what he just said. Maybe Bob can translate for us.
    I can't help the spiritual dead.

Comment

• Re: Pat Robertson's take on Haiti

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      Then why did you bring Sharon Stone into this discussion in the first place?
      Because of the sickening double standard society applies to Christians and conservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Interesting you bring that up.

The Bible talks about God striking people with leprosy for bad things they have done. This would include Miriam (the sister of Moses) for murmurring, Gehazi (the servant of Elisha) for deceit, and King Uzziah for being presumptuous.

If Father Damien had the same attitude that Pat Robertson had, he likewise would have condemned each of the lepers on Molokai as having committed sins against God, just like those Biblical figures.

But Damien didn't see it that way, and as far as I know, he never said that the lepers suffered their diseases as some sort of divine retribution. He just helped the lepers without questioning or interrogating them. He had enough sense and compassion to know that not every disease is contracted because someone has committed a sin against God. Too bad that Robertson didn't have the same sense and compassion to know that not every instance of natural disaster is just cause for anyone to speculate that the victims are getting their just desserts from God.

120 years after his death, Damien's legacy is all but ensured. Time will tell if future generations have even a tiny fraction of admiration for Robertson that they'll hold for Damien.
        Who cares about the admiration of men? As if that was of any importance. Won't help you when you're dead. The only real important thing is what God thinks of you. Then again, you'd have to believe God in the first place to understand that right now. Later on you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Betsey View Post
          I'll put my vote with Father Damien.

As a Christian, I draw my faith from the Jesus I see in the gospels (the one who preferred tax collectors, prostitutes and other public sinners to the professionally virtuous), and in the writings of the people who knew him and followed him closely.

If repentance was the only thing God wanted from us, John the Baptist would have been bigger than Christ. And St Paul makes it pretty clear that the message of the Old Testament, the 'Law', is not what saves us, but God's love, and our response of faith.

I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching, I'm just trying to say what I believe, passionately.
          Betsey,

you're missing what Jesus himself said- "of all the prophets, there was none greater than John the Baptist" {Matthew 11:11}.

There's a simple reason for this in a nutshell. The message of repentance brought people closer to God. No other prophet carried this message as John did.

Comment

• Re: Bobby's take on Christianity

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            According to Jesus, the main message of Christianity if to love one another as He loved Us.

You flunked your test. Next stop.... ????

K-den
            And what did Jesus tell the woman who committed adultery...?

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
              Betsey! So much insight into the values of Christianity!! Thank you! You are my favorite kind of Christian!
              The truth won't win you popularity contests.

Comment

• Re: Bob's take on Christianity

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                I was never one to see the Bible as literal truth, but rather as parables, riddles, lessons, thought-provoking tales, open to personal reflection.
                I used to think that way, until I started seeing Biblical-type supernatural things with my own eyes. Then all of a sudden, the theory of evolution stuff went out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                  I used to think that way, until I started seeing Biblical-type supernatural things with my own eyes. Then all of a sudden, the theory of evolution stuff went out the window.
                  Blessed be, Bob, we love you.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I won't argue with that. Your personal experiences, utterly different from mine, have shaped your religious values, and I can certainly respect that.

Here's how I view it ---

If God tells you what to do, that's fine.
                    If God tells you to tell me what to do, then we have a problem.

Comment

• Re: Bobby's take on Christianity

And what did Jesus tell the woman who committed adultery...?
                      Same thing I tell you, Bobbie:
                      "You are forgiven. Go, and sin no more."

Ready to start?
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Who says God can't be in it?

http://www.bpnews.net/printerfriendly.asp?ID=32195

Comment

Miracle in Haiti. Man found after buried for 4 weeks. Says man in a white coat gave him water. The article suggests possible hallucinations. But hallucinations don't allow you to live 4 weeks without water.
                          http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...S&attr=2015164

On another note, more earthquakes may strike Haiti soon. Maybe following Robertson's advice isn't such a bad idea. http://sentinelsource.com/articles/2.../id_388853.txt

Comment

Working...
                          X