Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cell phone etiquette (or not)

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    You forgot to answer the question, Mel. "But are you now aware that there are, in fact, cell plans that are no longer tied to minutes and contracts?"
    Old habits die hard, Sue.

If you won't break the news, I will.

Landline phone service is becoming obsolete.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

You forgot to answer the question, Mel. "But are you now aware that there are, in fact, cell plans that are no longer tied to minutes and contracts?"
      It is still more EXPENSIVE than landline. I told you folks several posts back. Sheesh!

Again. I don't need a cell phone. Don't want to pay for one. Don't like the higher prices. I don't get that many phone calls to justify a cell phone. I don't have the need or want to make calls when I am out of my house or office. I am not a phone addict. Not even my landline.

What is so wrong about not owning a cell phone?

Cell phones work fine for you folks. That is great. You like dishing out the cash to pay for the convenience, the bother, and maybe even breaking the law while driving (I still see people talking on their cells while driving). Fine.

That's your money.

When it is my money, I choose not to own a cell phone. There is nothing wrong with not owning one.

I don't care if I don't do text messaging or am not able to talk to somebody in the supermarket or at the beach or on the road or wherever. I don't like to be be bothered.

A few posts ago I gave a very short answer stating that the cheaper landline is the "bottom line" for me. At that point I was hoping to be out of this topic.

But nooooo... you folks want to belabor the topic (and drift).

Again. There is nothing wrong with not owning a cell phone and being part of that society.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Old habits die hard, Sue.

If you won't break the news, I will.

Then perhaps I will do without a phone. Save more money.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          And before someone asks, I keep my ringer on "vibrate" so as to not disturb others.
          I always leave my cell phone on vibrate. Carry it in my front pants pocket all the time. WHEEEEEEEEEE! Most of the time I figure it is a wrong number and just let the thing vibrate.

I don't have a landline, just a "pay as you go" cell phone. I pay more per minute than a plan but at the end of the year, my total bill is less than with a plan because I use the cell phone so little. Most of my calls are made VOIP on the Internet.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            [...]
            Again. There is nothing wrong with not owning a cell phone and being part of that society.
            No one is challenging you on this point, Mel. No one. AAMOF, in post #4 I wrote..."Mel, this isn't aimed at you because I know your life works just fine without a cell phone. This is just an FYI for all HTers...

In that same post I also wrote..."There are now unlimited cell phone plans so the dislikes you list above are no longer a monetary issue with the right plan."

Yet, you still got defensive.

In post #10 you wrote..."None of the plans I have ever seen were not somehow connected to minutes, and definitely all are tied to a contract of some sort...". You did not cite any facts backing up your statement.

I provided, for ALL HTers, not just you, Mel, facts with cites to the contrary, condensed in post #18. You either didn't see those cites or you chose to ignore them and continued to defend your position on choosing not to own a cell phone. You're continuing to defend your exclusive use of a landline in a cell phone thread. Once again, see my post #4. I don't think anyone posting in this thread thinks any less of you because of your choice. It works for you. Others were offering their reasons for using a cell phone just as you offered your reasons for not using one. It's interesting to read all points of view. It's called an exchange of ideas...not a confrontation.

That said...in my post #26, I wrote..."You're doing what works best for you without extending yourself using equipment you don't need. But are you now aware that there are, in fact, cell plans that are no longer tied to minutes and contracts?"
            In your post #29 you're still defending your use of a landline when all of us know where you stand and we accept it.

In my post #30 I wrote..."You forgot to answer the question, Mel. 'But are you now aware that there are, in fact, cell plans that are no longer tied to minutes and contracts?'" In your post #32 you, once again, defend your choice of a landline.

Mel, with all due respect, why do you get so defensive over something that's a non-issue and why is it so difficult for you to admit that you weren't up to date on your info and thank HT for enlightening you? Nuthin' wrong with a little edumacation!

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              I always leave my cell phone on vibrate. Carry it in my front pants pocket all the time. WHEEEEEEEEEE! Most of the time I figure it is a wrong number and just let the thing vibrate.
              Come on, funny feeling!
              I don't have a landline, just a "pay as you go" cell phone. I pay more per minute than a plan but at the end of the year, my total bill is less than with a plan because I use the cell phone so little. Most of my calls are made VOIP on the Internet.
              You bring up a good alternative, matapule...one that I want to look into once I'm fully retired (yah, right!)! Do you mind sharing what you paid for your cell service for all of 2009? Are the VOIP calls free? I have Skype but rarely use it. When I do, it's free. Amazing technology. At least with VOIP, etiquette isn't much of an issue unless one is out in public with a laptop and mobile broadband!

Comment

Cell phones aren't for everyone. Mel has shown us that you can survive without one. Simpler life maybe? Sometimes simpler is better. Sometimes life is hectic (especially if you have kids).

Mel maybe there is something we can all learn from your habits. I think the day you'll consider cell phones is when they become more competitive with landlines. You can choose to take it with you or not when you are out.

I think in time cell phones will replace landlines entirely as a more cost-effective means of calling one another, but until landline phones become more expensive to use, I still keep mine as well.

Nothing wrong with not owning a cell phone. My dad was 92-years old and never once held one in his hands, let alone talk on one. He never listened to an MP3 player either. I gave him a CD of some Nisei music and he tried to play it on his record player. He somehow managed to live his entire life without the trappings of modern technology.

Mel, I applaud you for not succumbing to things you don't need.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Do you mind sharing what you paid for your cell service for all of 2009?
                  We both are on T-Mobile pay as you, with separate phones. T-Mobile has the most economical plan compared to Verizon and ATT. We can purchase time over the Internet or directly through the phone. We purchase time blocks of 1000 minutes (each) for $100 and the minutes (2000 for $200) last generally all year. Plus we get all kinds of bonus minutes the longer we are with the company.

Are the VOIP calls free? I have Skype but rarely use it. When I do, it's free.
                  We have used both Vonage and Skype but found the results with both were inconsistent. We now use Yahoo Messenger. Very happy with the service. If you are calling from Yahoo computer to Yahoo computer, the calls are free. If you are calling a cell phone or landline, the cost is a penny a minute. No monthly charge of any kind.

Another alternative is MagicJack that plugs in to your computer USB port. Initial cost is around $40 for the device but also includes the first year service. Thereafter it is $24.95 per year and all calls are unlimited and free.

Sometimes, even a laptop is too big to carry around just to make calls. That's where a "Netbook" really comes in handy. See the thread on the Acer Aspire One.

It is VERY important to maintain "Net Neutrality" and support legislation to keep it that way. Big business in the US wants to take control of the Internet and that would be a disaster for all of us. All the free VOIP plans above would disappear.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

We both are on T-Mobile pay as you, with separate phones. T-Mobile has the most economical plan compared to Verizon and ATT. We can purchase time over the Internet or directly through the phone. We purchase time blocks of 1000 minutes (each) for $100 and the minutes (2000 for $200) last generally all year. Plus we get all kinds of bonus minutes the longer we are with the company.
                    Ok, let me put my poor math skills to work here! So, for one person (you) you're paying $100./year for 1000 minutes. That seems to average out to about $8.34/month. Is there a monthly service rate in addition to buying blocks of minutes? Is there a contract? Like Mel, I don't like the idea of contracts which is one of the reasons I switched to Mobi.

We have used both Vonage and Skype but found the results with both were inconsistent. We now use Yahoo Messenger. Very happy with the service. If you are calling from Yahoo computer to Yahoo computer, the calls are free. If you are calling a cell phone or landline, the cost is a penny a minute. No monthly charge of any kind.
                    What do you calculate to be an approx. monthly charge when you're paying for minutes? $5? $10? More?
                    Another alternative is MagicJack that plugs in to your computer USB port. Initial cost is around $40 for the device but also includes the first year service. Thereafter it is $24.95 per year and all calls are unlimited and free.[...]
                    I know people who are happy with MagicJack. So, that's $2.+change/mo after the first year. The first year, factoring in the device would be approx. $5.50.

Retirement is looking better!

Comment

Ok, let me put my poor math skills to work here! So, for one person (you) you're paying $100./year for 1000 minutes. That seems to average out to about $8.34/month.

Correctamundo. Maybe even less because I usually get by for 18 months on my cell phone.

Is there a monthly service rate in addition to buying blocks of minutes?

No

Is there a contract?

No, except the minutes are only good for 12 months. But if you send another $10 at the end of the year, all the minutes roll over for another 12 months.

What do you calculate to be an approx. monthly charge when you're paying for minutes? $5? $10? More?

You mean for Yahoo Messenger? Maybe $3 or less per month at most. It is so little, we don't even keep track.

Retirement is looking better!

Retirement is easy and better than you would ever expect! But retirement is a state of mind. You can still work part time and be retired. You still have time to pump iron at the gym, do crossword puzzles, and take an afternoon siesta. The more I retire the more work comes my way. The more you play hard to get, the more clients insist that you take their project. I usually have one project a summer that keeps me busy part time. This summer it's going to be my biggest ever and an exciting one at that. Matapule does good work and gets lots of referrals. It is all about customer service and doing more than expected - that is called life experience. You can do it too.

Comment

[...]
                        Retirement is easy and better than you would ever expect! But retirement is a state of mind. You can still work part time and be retired. [...]
                        Sorry, yes, I did, in fact, mean Yahoo Messenger. Wow, total phone service for one for under $12./mo.? Wish I could do that now but when busy with work I plow thru almost 1000 minutes in one month!

I'm already in the work-part-time phase of my life. While I'm fine with it and am loving extra leisure time, it wasn't by choice. A recession always smacks the production side of advertising upside the head! But there are already tangible signs that 2010 will be much better. I am now reviewing how much work I'm willing to accept. Guess I loved extended time off a bit too much!

Back to cell phone etiquette...It drives me nuts when, during an audition and camera rolling, an actor's cell phone rings. It breaks the concentration of everyone in the studio. Adding insult to injury is when an actor stops the audition to answer the phone. That's unacceptable!

Comment

For me the bottom line in all of this is that not owning a cell phone is cheaper. That is it.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

For me the bottom line in all of this is that not owning a cell phone is cheaper..
                            That's the point, everyone's necessities are different. Some will find a cell phone is less expensive overall and necessary, and some not. Fortunately, we have a plethora of choices and options to fit a variety of needs. It's all good. I wish it was the same for health care.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              Mel maybe there is something we can all learn from your habits. I think the day you'll consider cell phones is when they become more competitive with landlines. You can choose to take it with you or not when you are out.
                              No he won't. Per Mel:

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Then perhaps I will do without a phone. Save more money.
                              So the day when residential landline phone service goes offline, he won't have any phone. Period. Sez Mel.

And it is precisely this sort of extremist statement that has taken this thread in the direction it has gone.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              I think in time cell phones will replace landlines entirely as a more cost-effective means of calling one another, but until landline phones become more expensive to use, I still keep mine as well.
                              That sounds infinitely more sensible and reasonable.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Everyone certainly knows how to belabor the point here.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X