Baggage Fee Hikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Baggage Fee Hikes

If one can pack luggage for a month and a-half in two suit cases at 40lb each, packing a suitcase greater than 50lb for a four-day weekend is a little excessive.

Comment

Saw an article that some time in June, Delta will go back to allowing one free bag per passenger (up to 9 people in a party, I think) for their mileage plus members.

What will be interesting is if airlines start charging to use the bathroom on the plane. I understand that Europeans are used to paying to use public bathrooms and public transit bathrooms but somehow I think there will be unfortunate incidents if they try it with Americans, at least at first.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
        If one can pack luggage for a month and a-half in two suit cases at 40lb each, packing a suitcase greater than 50lb for a four-day weekend is a little excessive.
        Never heard of omiyage?
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          I hope so. Even if they let you have 1 free bag and charged for any extras, it would be better. But I am also sick of those wheel-totes that are carried on. They don't fit anywhere and delay the take-off because flight attendants have to spend 20 minutes rearranging all of them.
          Meh.

I own a wheeled carry-on. Granted, I have seen many of different sizes and yet labeled as "carry-on," yet can't fit in the top compartment. You would think that the airline industry would work with luggage manufacturer to come with a standard dimension, regardless if the plane is an Airbus or one of those turboprops that Island Air uses.

Then again, it's up to the check-in agent to size up the passengers' luggage and tell them that their "carry-on" can't fit inside the plane.

P.S. if I have to pay $1000 to fly from Molokai to Oahu, "F" that. I'd rather bring back the SuperFerry (but have to cut off Kauai because of you know).
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

There are two sizes and people seem to be using the large one more often (at least here they are). The ONLY way to fit multiple bags of this size in the overhead compartments is to put them in wheels first, which few people do. The last couple times I've flown, it's been on full flights and the flight attendants have to pull each bag out, turn it, and put it back in. That's a lot of bags! Too bad they can't put up signs or make an announcement. Or- as you said, Random- measure the bags and make people check what doesn't fit. I get really sick of having to wad up my jacket and cram it under the seat in front of me because I can't put it in the overhead bin when I don't have anything else up there.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
              There are two sizes and people seem to be using the large one more often (at least here they are). The ONLY way to fit multiple bags of this size in the overhead compartments is to put them in wheels first, which few people do. The last couple times I've flown, it's been on full flights and the flight attendants have to pull each bag out, turn it, and put it back in. That's a lot of bags! Too bad they can't put up signs or make an announcement. Or- as you said, Random- measure the bags and make people check what doesn't fit. I get really sick of having to wad up my jacket and cram it under the seat in front of me because I can't put it in the overhead bin when I don't have anything else up there.
              You can sum it up with the two sizes...fit and no fit. On Hawaiian airline's 767 the larger carry on's should be placed in the side bulkheads because the one in the center aisle is not as roomy. And I wish airlines enforce the "ONE Carry On Per Passenger" rule! I've been on a fully-packed airplane and if being one of the latter passengers to board, sometimes there isn't anymore space because a person took two or three spaces. Multiply that by a hundred + passengers and that can be a problem.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Meh.

I own a wheeled carry-on. Granted, I have seen many of different sizes and yet labeled as "carry-on," yet can't fit in the top compartment. You would think that the airline industry would work with luggage manufacturer to come with a standard dimension, regardless if the plane is an Airbus or one of those turboprops that Island Air uses.

Then again, it's up to the check-in agent to size up the passengers' luggage and tell them that their "carry-on" can't fit inside the plane.

P.S. if I have to pay $1000 to fly from Molokai to Oahu, "F" that. I'd rather bring back the SuperFerry (but have to cut off Kauai because of you know).
                Ironically, a lot of airlines have Dimension Checkers right at the gate. A giant sign and a box that says, "Will my bag fit?" Two problems there: The passengers know they overload a bag and intentionally bring it on; the flight attendants/gate agents don't enforce the bag size limitation.

When I had a carry-on that would fit on a large plane, and then a transfer to a puddle-jumper, the puddle jumper allowed it to be a "carry-on check-in" at the door. You got your luggage as you exited the plane. That's convenient too, and I wish they had more of that. But instead it's reserved more for strollers and wheelchairs.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...126217748.html
                  Why only a 7 dollars increase? They should make it 50 dollars in honor of being the 50th state.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...126217748.html
                    Why only a 7 dollars increase? They should make it 50 dollars in honor of being the 50th state.
                    That would make it a 400% price increase. Too hard to make that one work.

Comment

I'm just headed to the airport for a flight, and I have to take along some supplies to a neighbor island via "luggage", but the luggage fee is still cheaper than shipping would be for now. I'm not sure about when the fees are increased though.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

A woman pissed me off this past weekend with three hand-carry items that took up virtually all the space in the vicinity of where I was sitting. With all available spaces taken by others carrying more than one hand carry piece, I simply stuffed my one and only courier bag inside on top of her box of Napples. Then someone behind me stuffed their backpack in front of my bag and closed the compartment squishing everything inside.

When the plane stopped in Hilo, we took out our hand carry and noticed a very flattened box of pasteries left inside. Oh well we said as we shrugged our shoulders and walked off the plane. The lady was pissed.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                          That would make it a 400% price increase. Too hard to make that one work.
                          (See HECO)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            we took out our hand carry and noticed a very flattened box of pasteries left inside. Oh well we said as we shrugged our shoulders and walked off the plane. The lady was pissed.
                            As the best kind pasteries, the smash kind.

Comment

A woman pissed me off this past weekend with three hand-carry items that took up virtually all the space in the vicinity of where I was sitting.
                              You should have said something to the attendant. I would, in that situation. In this day and age of no free checked baggage, people trying to pinch pennies are showing no consideration for their fellow passengers. If they don't care about other people in the cabin, then I certainly don't care about their feeling getting hurt when I compel the attendant to enforce any rules violation. It's either that,.... or suffer in silence. For me, the latter is never an option.

With all available spaces taken by others carrying more than one hand carry piece, I simply stuffed my one and only courier bag inside on top of her box of Napples. Then someone behind me stuffed their backpack in front of my bag and closed the compartment squishing everything inside.

When the plane stopped in Hilo, we took out our hand carry and noticed a very flattened box of pasteries left inside. Oh well we said as we shrugged our shoulders and walked off the plane. The lady was pissed.
                              She probably doesn't travel a lot... or hasn't done so recently. People nowadays don't care. They'll jam-in their carry-on sized suitcase in an already filled compartment. If you've got fragile items that could get crushed in a backpack or a flimsy box, then you best store it in underneath the seat in front of you. You give up some leg room, but unless you're Shaq-sized, that shouldn't be intolerable on a relatively short interisland flight.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X