X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wine Info Exchange

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Like Kirkland batteries.
    'Cuz it's Costco's own brand (yes, I know you know that!). My guess is if there was a Kirkland brand package of macadamia nuts, they just might be in all the stores. Or is there now? I haven't bought mac nuts in a coupla years!

Comment

RE: the Australian wines mentioned earlier - I enjoyed many of those when I visited the Barossa Valley back in 1989. A recent (well, about three years ago) find that amuses me, however, is Shingleback's "Black Bubbles" - it's a sparkling shiraz!

Comment

hmmm - i think a "sparkling" shiraz would be very interesting! please can you give some details about this wine? btw - i love australian/new zealand wines.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Yellow Tail is my table wine of choice...$8.99/1.5L at Costco.

Comment

One of the Australian wines that I consider to be the "Barefoot" brand of Australia is Mattie's Perch. I've seen those bottles go anywhere between $3.99-6.99 on the shelves. It's an alternative to Barefoot if you need a quick substitute.

Since I'm not really a fan of Barefoot, Mattie's Perch doesn't rank too high on my list compared to my originally posted choices, but it's still a decent wine if you need to host larger parties.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Okay so what do you do? A waiter has just uncorked a bottle of wine you selected at a restaurant. He/she gives you the cork. What do you do with it?

Some smell it, some roll it in their fingers. I was told by a master sommelier to roll it and test it for it's dryness. A dry cork doesn't seal the bottle well.

Once I joked and popped it in my mouth and told the waiter, excellent year. his eyes looked like I was at Roy's in Hawaii Kai. I'll bet he never saw that one coming!
              ================================================== ===
              LOL! That was great! I got to remember that the next time I order a bottle of wine. Most of the times when my wife and I go out to dinner (which is infrequently because I rather cook at home; I like my food), we go to places that we frequent and they let me bring my own wine without any corkage fee.

Also --- what to do with the cork? There are many beliefs like you have said, but my belief is in the tasting of the wine. If it tastes great, then sobeit. If is tastes moldy or off, then I will maybe screw with the cork to confirm my tasting.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                They do it all the time at the Palm Desert and La Quinta Costcos just down Hwy 10 from you. They have a sign above each bin describing the wine (ala WS), the vintage, and sometimes the rating (sometimes the sign says "not rated"). The sign might say that it is a 90 for a 2004 vintage, but what they are selling in the bin is a 2005 label. But sometimes they get it right too. Buyer beware. We've picked up some unbelievable bargains there by careful shopping. We're on a strict budget, so $50 wine is pretty much out for us.

Costcos are divided into districts and the district manager has some leeway in what the stores in his district stock and how it is displayed to suit the local culture. That's why you can buy macadamia nuts in the Honolulu Costco but ne'er in sight in the Cabo Costco. However, we have found certain staples that are the same in every Costco around the world.
                ================================================== ======
                Hi Matapule:

Now I understand. I thought you talking about mislabeling or label switching. Now that I understand that the shelf signage doesn't match-up with the actual bottles there, I now know what you mean. Yes, this happens all the time because the people stocking the shelves don't pay attention. Also, your comments about Costco districts is well taken. In fact, in most cases, each Costco has its own buyer who tries to match the inventory with the clientele in that location. For small geographies, maybe a buyer has more than one store to handle, but even here in the Phoenix area, each Costco has its own buyer and wine manager ( I talk to them a lot to find out what is coming in). In fact, the Costco with the largest wine inventory in the country and with the highest end wines is the Costco in Scottsdale, AZ. Makes sense when you think that Scottsdale is the high end community in the State.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  hmmm - i think a "sparkling" shiraz would be very interesting! please can you give some details about this wine? btw - i love australian/new zealand wines.
                  http://www.wineloverspage.com/wines/tn.phtml?id=807
                  Not sure how you get it in Hawai`i, though - can some locals here point the way?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    'Cuz it's Costco's own brand (yes, I know you know that!). My guess is if there was a Kirkland brand package of macadamia nuts, they just might be in all the stores. Or is there now? I haven't bought mac nuts in a coupla years!
                    I buy PC Nuts myself... DOH!!!
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      http://www.wineloverspage.com/wines/tn.phtml?id=807
                      Not sure how you get it in Hawai`i, though - can some locals here point the way?
                      I just emailed both the winery and the distributor who is there in Seattle BTW. Thanks for the link!
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I just got back from a trip to the Cabo San Lucas Costco. We had to have our Costco hot dog fix. Where else are jalapeno peppers featured next to the onions and relish condiments along with apple flavor soft drink? Yum, yum!

I took a close look at the wine section. Yup, they have WS rating shown for about half their wines. The WS description is in Spanish, but is easily deciphered. I stopped to study a 2007 Pio Cesare Rebolo from Italy rated at 94. And yes, it was a 2007 label in the bin. The price was about US$80.

As matapule was studying this label, uaifi come along and say, "what you doing matapule? Just keep dreaming and move along." So matapule puts hands back in pocket and move along. When uaifi tell matapule to do something, matapule do it like yesterday. Matapule no like whack, whacks from uaifi.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Kamaaina View Post
                          ================================================== =====
                          You have had better luck with Barefoot than me! The couple times I tried Barefoot, they were pretty bad. .
                          Well we gave it the test tonight. We were gifted with a bottle of Barefoot Pinot Grigio a while back, one of our guest's favorite wines. I pulled that bottle out of my vast 6 bottle cellar. We served it with a homemade Chef's Salad with shredded BBQ chicken and some toasted buttered french bread with light garlic. We thought the wine was good, not great, but good.

I'm wondering if you think that is one of the undrinkables. I'm a novice, but interested in learning.

I'm saving a bottle of Columbia Crest, Grand Estates, Cab (2007) to share with our daughter who comes for a visit next week. It is her favorite. Andrea Robinson gives it a rating of very good to excellent and is one of her personal favorites. Comments or opinions?
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

i just bought a bottle of the Barefoot Pinot Grigio but was waiting til the weekend to open. hope the purchase wasn't a mistake
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I tried the Barefoot Pinot Grigio last nite and I definitely got my moneys worth. I don't know if I will buy it again but it was very drinkable with my dinner. Not a fine wine - but a very passable one.
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

How did I miss this thread? I love wine.

My palate tends toward whites and rose' wines, I rarely drink red.

I generally buy less expensive bottles and look for good sales. One of my regular Chardonnay buys is Turning Leaf (currently on sale at Times for $4.99); it is very consistent year to year. Other Chardonnays I like are Mirrasou and Mark West, which can be over $10. One of my current favorites is Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, from NZ; serve it very cold! It's usually about $12-13, but sometimes it goes as low as $10 on sale.

I never found a Barefoot I liked - I'd rather drink Sutter Home (which occasionally surprises)! Beringer, Alice White and Yellowtail are other whites I'll drink.

There is one Cabernet I like, but I forget the name - have to get back to you on that one....
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X