Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wine Info Exchange

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    I think Hawaii Threads as a whole has slowed recently; it’s not just this particular thread. For myself, I just haven’t felt like posting very much. But hey! That might change.

The other thing is: you’re obviously much more knowledgeable (and adventurous) about wines than the rest of us. It doesn’t mean we don’t take wine seriously; it’s just that we’re not as adventurous (I like that word “adventurous”).

For myself, from post #17 above, I still haven’t gone to Tamura’s to test my adventurous spirit, and I still mostly buy the simple Gabbiano chianti. But a saving grace: I did try some of the wines from the various posts in this thread, namely Nobilo sauvignon blanc, which was very good. I also chanced upon a Malbec (sorry, I can’t remember which one), but I liked it. It was simple, yet very robust. I know it’s from Argentina, but I don’t know very much else about this wine. So can you fill me in?
    Hey! Someone read my post and replied. Thanks. Actually, I am really not adventurous. I sort of just stick to what I know and what I like. For the most part, I like Bordeauxs, Super Tuscans, Cabernets, Garnachas, and more recently Camanere (a robust red from Chile). The only reason why I tried the Camanere was because in 2008, the wine, Casa Lapostelle Clos Alpalta (2005) was declared the wine of the year by The Wine Spectator. So I tried it -- bought half a case and immediately drank one. It was OK, but not outstanding. After doing more research, other information avail on this wine said it will get better with time (more maturity). So I opened another bottle in late 2009 and it was much better. So I will just keep the other four bottles for a couple more years before I drink them.

I don't care for whites too much; too fruity and not enough body for me. But once in a while, I will drink a good Pinot Gris. That is refreshing.

If you are interested in some relatively inexpensive wines, but good, here are a few suggestions. 2006 Las Rocas Garnacha (a red from Spain) is pretty damn good. Only $10 per bottle. But don't buy the 2007 vintage. That one is not so good. The 2005 "Old Vines" Las Rocas Garnacha is also good but more pricey at $17 per bottle.

Another good one is the 2007 Brancaia Tre (Super Tuscan from Italy). This one was rated at the #10 best wine in 2009 by Wine Spectator. And if you can find it, it goes for about $20-$23 per bottle. Not bad price for a good wine.

I have tried and cellared a number of pretty good wines over the last two years, but those are on the slightly pricey side.

The problem with drinking wine is not just everyone's palate is different, and some people cannot tell the difference between mediocre wines and good wines, but the fact that good wines are very pricey. In the "olden days", I couldn't afford to buy the good stuff. But now, since I am getting older and older, and I know I cannot take it with me, I spend my money on what my wife and I like. Good food, good wines and scotch, and good entertainment/vacations.

The last time I was in Honolulu, which was in June, I went to Tamura's to buy some wines to take to a friends house who was hosting a little "local style" dinner party for us. I bought a couple of bottles of 2006 Ferrari Carano for about $40 per bottle. This actually was not a bad price for Hawaii, since that wine retails for about $35 per bottle anyway. I also talked with the manager/buyer there and he showed me his inventory of his "good stuff". His prices are really not too bad. Of course, slightly higher than what I can get on the Mainland, but that was in Hawaii so you expect to pay a higher price.

As far as that Argentina Malbec you tried, I cannot comment. I am not a big fan of Malbec's and I have not tried many Argentina wines. I have tried a lot of Chilean wines and like them, but not Argentina. I also don't especially care for Australian wines too -- too weak and not enough body for me.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Comment

Working...
    X