Safeway vs Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safeway vs Times

KITV is reporting that Safeway plans to open a new store on the site of the old Schuman Carriage auto dealership. Compared to the present store on Beretania/Pensacola, the new store will be bigger and with twice the number of parking stalls. Needless to say, the present location will be shut down and sold when the new store opens next year. (The Schuman auto showroom will be demolished to make room for the new structure.)

The new location is right next door to Times. Does anyone think Times can compete with a new state-of-the-art Safeway store operating just a stone's throw away?
    Yes. They can hold their own.
    64.29%
    Yes. But Times may have to downsize and layoff employees.
    21.43%
    No. They should close down and cut their losses.
    14.29%
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Safeway vs Times

This is not directly on topic, but I remember that the Beretania Safeway was the chain's very first store in Hawaii, and their big opening week promotion was to bring in container-sized shipments of fresh strawberries. I remember seeing people loading up (overloading, actually) on what was a novel treat in those days.

Comment

Beretania kinda reminds me of the garment district for supermarkets. It used to start out with Star. Then a mile or so later is Foodland following in a few short blocks by Times and ending a few more short blocks with Safeway.

Safeway Beretania has been my primary town store for years followed closely by Foodland. None of 'em can touch Tamura's in Waianae however! I'll certainly look forward to a new and improved Safeway and it'll be interesting to see if Times can continue to hold on like they have in the current row of supermarkets. I hope so. I don't want to see anyone laid off.

Comment

I think this might be a good thing for consumers. Both Safeway and Times have to step up their customer service and offerings, and that's good news for the rest of us. I never shop one supermarket exclusively. Whichever one has the best offer, that's where I'll go. This scenario should also includes Foodland, just a couple of blocks down the street.

Comment

I don’t think a bigger, shiny new Safeway® will force Times™ to shut down their “heart of Honolulu” location. But they will be significantly affected. I expect they’ll have to radically shift their product line — perhaps expand the beer/wine/liquor section? I know Safeway usually has the most expensive prices on alcoholic beverages around.

Then again, I would be quite happy if they did shut down Beretania, and re-opened Times™ in the current Longs Mō‘ili‘ili location. CVS® is moving that Longs™ to the now-defunct Star Market™ site on King & University, and the owner of the current Longs™ site has not announced plans (at least publicly) as to what the drug store will be replaced with. As it is now, the area is woefully under-served, unless you’re willing (and able) to pay a premium for organic food.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Will this Safeway be as big as the one on Kapahulu? That store is Costco size.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Will this Safeway be as big as the one on Kapahulu?
              The Kapahulu Safeway encompasses 60,000 square feet. The new Beretania store is estimated to be built at the same size.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                [...]Then again, I would be quite happy if they did shut down Beretania, and re-opened Times™ in the current Longs Mō‘ili‘ili location.[...]
                Just curious...does that location have enough square footage for a supermarket?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Just curious...does that location have enough square footage for a supermarket?
                  To my knowledge, it is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Longs® on the island. It’s about a dozen car-lengths wide (not including the ground-level parking), and occupies the entire block between King and Young street. It also has covered parking and roof-top parking, making it one of the biggest parking lots in Mō‘ili‘ili (more than twice the size of the defunct-Star Market lot), and apparently does enough business to stay open 24 hours a day.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Erika Engle turned in a story for Star Bulletin readers. One thing that has me scratching my head.

It also would be next to the competing, locally established Times Super Market, according to a televised report.
                    Uhhhh, did it take a TV news report for Erika to realize that a new Safeway store on the Schuman Carriage site would make it a next door competitor to Times? I would have thought that years of living on this island with at least occasional drives on Beretania St. would have told anyone that.

Comment

The high ceiling makes the store feel like an arena. Will birds still get into the store when the front door opens? Do the birds fly out by themselves and lay droppings when they become scared?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        The high ceiling makes the store feel like an arena. Will birds still get into the store when the front door opens? Do the birds fly out by themselves and lay droppings when they become scared?
                        EVERY SAFEWay I have been in has pet sparrows. Just be glad they are not Mynahs!

Compete? In my mind they cooperate! Times has the overall best prices on Deli-Cat; Safeway has a better selection overall.
                        Liquour? (Not that I ever touch anything but Guinness on tap). Safeway has a wider selection and better prices on Turning Leaf wines, Times has better sales on Beringer and Sutter Home (though Longs/CVS is often better by a few cents).

Bottom line? I get some things at Safeway and other things at Times. I like to buy local, and Times gives me more opportunity. I also like some things Safeway has other places don't. I NEVER shop Foodland; they have nothing to offer me but high prices.

FWIW.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

When I have extra time on my hands I like the challenge of comparing grocery prices in the circulars within MidWeek. I check Safeway, Foodland and Times circulars for the products I need. One supermarket does not win out consistently. If my grocery list is long enough I'll break it up among the 3 stores, according to sale prices, head for Beretania St., then shop 'til I drop! I have to really be in the mood to do that!

Comment

It's in neither supermarket's interests to both be open for business in such close proximity.

Here's a win-win scenario I would suggest:

1) Safeway goes ahead and opens a 60,000 sq. ft. store at the Schuman site.

2) Times should move to another location. Maybe to the space at Beretania/Pensacola that Safeway is vacating? (A little real estate musical chairs.)

3) The current Times location be converted into either a Long's or Walgreen's.

Comment

Times have certainly changed (no pun this time either). There's no aloha in this State anymore. This is the same kind of predatory practice seen when Aloha Airlines was destroyed by Go! I don't fly with Go! because of this. This kind of thing should not be accepted by Hawaii people. Leave this crap on the mainland where it came from, fer cryin out loud!

I used to really like Safeway in the past, because they had a good priced fruit and vegetable selection. Now, it seems the tide has turned, and that Times has better prices. Safeway produce now is rather expensive. I find myself shopping at Times more.

Comment

Working...
                              X