X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Safeway vs Times

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    [...]
    3) The current Times location be converted into either a Long's or Walgreen's.
    Noooooooo!!! Both are already close by. Bring on...
    TRADER JOE'S
    Hmmm...that might shut down the other 3!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      TRADER JOE'S
      Hmmm...that might shut down the other 3!
      I've got no argument with you there. But until Trader Joe's makes a move here,.....

It's pretty much established that supermarket and drug stores complement each other when it comes to attracting customer traffic. And I'm not aware of any major drug store that I would describe as being "close by" that area. Particularly Walgreens. The closest ones would be the one at the former Tower Records location at Keeaumoku and on School Street at the old Kam Bowl site. That's a pretty big gap. What better way for Walgreens to fill that gap than by opening a store right next to a brand spanking new Safeway? And there's already an American Savings Bank right there. That spot is literally tailor made for either drug store chain.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
        Leave this crap on the mainland where it came from, fer cryin out loud!
        Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
        I used to really like Safeway in the past...
        Which way do you want it, Bob? The way you used to like it, or not in Hawai`i from the mainland at all? (You sound like a certain - now banned - poster from HT's past, who berated anything mainland-based, while still patronizing 'em.)

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        TRADER JOE'S
        Sorry, I keep telling you folks, you can't have TJ's. They are our best source for omiyage to bring to you when we are there. TJ's corp hq keeps saying they have no plans to expand to Hawai`i.

I'll let you know when we are next on O`ahu, and you can place your order with us.

Comment

I've got no argument with you there. But until Trader Joe's makes a move here,.....

It's pretty much established that supermarket and drug stores complement each other when it comes to attracting customer traffic. And I'm not aware of any major drug store that I would describe as being "close by" that area. Particularly Walgreens. The closest ones would be the one at the former Tower Records location at Keeaumoku[...]
          I understand what you mean. I guess the distance between the old Shuman property on Beretania and Walgreen's on Keeaumoku and Long's on King (eventually King & Beretania) is still minimal by my old California standards! Heck, it's even minimal by my Makaha standards! But it isn't the immediate 'hood.
          Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          [...]
          Sorry, I keep telling you folks, you can't have TJ's. They are our best source for omiyage to bring to you when we are there. TJ's corp hq keeps saying they have no plans to expand to Hawai`i.

I'll let you know when we are next on O`ahu, and you can place your order with us.
          Yep! I heard that TJs isn't interested in Hawaii because they don't want to raise their prices, which they'd have to do to compensate for shipping. Well...hot damn...so does every store and shop who doesn't specialize in merchandise made solely on Oahu! I wouldn't mind 4 or 5 buck Chuck. It's still a deal here.

Thx for the offer of a TJ fix, LL. Fortunately, between my daughter's 4-5 visits a year and my bros 1 visit per year, my cupboards are overflowing. Just got my supply of Chili Spiced Mango and CS Pineapple. Mmmmmm...

Comment

yummm, chili spiced mango............my mouth just started watering
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Particularly Walgreens. The closest ones would be the one at the former Tower Records location at Keeaumoku and on School Street at the old Kam Bowl site. That's a pretty big gap. What better way for Walgreens to fill that gap than by opening a store right next to a brand spanking new Safeway? And there's already an American Savings Bank right there. That spot is literally tailor made for either drug store chain.
              I thought Walgreens plans on taking over the Nuuanu Shopping Plaza for their next store to fill that gap?

Comment

Weren't Times workers striking and boycotting just last year? What happened, did that get resolved?
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Did Safeway cashiers stop asking customers for donations at the checkout? Did that policy make customers feel uncomfortable saying no?

Comment

eh why do you guys care? just curious?

both are mainland owned supermarkets. both have lots of local folks working in them.

other than price, selection, customer service, do you really care which mainland company you give your money to?

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                      eh why do you guys care? just curious? both are mainland owned supermarkets. both have lots of local folks working in them. other than price, selection, customer service, do you really care which mainland company you give your money to?
                      Actually, this is a trick question. Price, selection, and customer service actually vary wildly just between Safeway and Times alone! Safeway’s liquor prices are pretty steep, particularly for beer. Wines and spirits are generally only affordable if you buy in bulk. I don’t know if Safeway has beaten Longs Drugs®, for example, on a liquor product within the last decade.

Then we have selection. Neither Times nor Safeway carry local milk. We’ve been conditioned to buy Meadow Gold because at one time, they supplied local milk. What most people don't realize is that Viva/Meadow Gold is now 100% mainland product, and has been for two years.

Foodland and Sack&Save, on the other hand, do carry local milk. Big Island fresh, to be exact. Hallelujah! Milk is expensive, and the last thing I want is something that’s going to spoil three days after I bought it. So yeah, short answer: I care.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Actually, this is a trick question. Price, selection, and customer service actually vary wildly just between Safeway and Times alone! Safeway’s liquor prices are pretty steep, particularly for beer. Wines and spirits are generally only affordable if you buy in bulk. I don’t know if Safeway has beaten Longs Drugs®, for example, on a liquor product within the last decade.

Then we have selection. Neither Times nor Safeway carry local milk. We’ve been conditioned to buy Meadow Gold because at one time, they supplied local milk. What most people don't realize is that Viva/Meadow Gold is now 100% mainland product, and has been for two years.

Foodland and Sack&Save, on the other hand, do carry local milk. Big Island fresh, to be exact. Hallelujah! Milk is expensive, and the last thing I want is something that’s going to spoil three days after I bought it. So yeah, short answer: I care.
                        only get safeway by my house so that's where i buy my beer. get one small korean liquor store but most time, it's more expensive.

maybe next time i'll drive to times. thanks for the tip.

Comment

like most others have noted. i also look at the ads then shop at whoever has the best prices. usually i stick to safeway and times...

i'm from san antonio where we only had 1 grocery chain, HEB. The dominated and ran out all others, Krogers, Alberstons, Randalls, etc... There stores are mostly huge! but in the area i lived they opened up a smaller boutique style store called Central Market. It was like a smaller version of Whole Foods, but they carried different stuff. I actually like the feel of a smaller grocery store, although the store design of Safeway Kapahulu is nice.

One thing i HATE about Safeway is the freakin 3-4 prices they put on everything!! It was this price, now it's this price, but wait, it could be this price if you have a magic card. I understand sales, but WHO CARES what is used to cost and the "new" low price...
                          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            I thought Walgreens plans on taking over the Nuuanu Shopping Plaza for their next store to fill that gap?
                            True. But why in the world would a Nuuanu location preclude Walgreens from building another store in an ideal location way down on Beretania (next to a new Safeway, American Savings Bank, and Grace's Inn?)

If Walgreens has serious intentions on competing with the Long's chain, they need to expand into the right locations. And the one that I described fits Walgreens' needs to a T,.... assuming the Beretania Times will vacate, which I believe they eventually will.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Big beef: Safeway breaks ties with iconic ranch as local meat industry struggles to grow (hawaiinewsnow.com)

Where's the beef?

Comment

Working...
                              X