Mandatory helmets for moped riders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory helmets for moped riders?

Some state officials are calling for increased regulations of mopeds. This comes in the wake of a tragic accident in Manoa that took the life of a 17 year old mpoed rider in Manoa.

KHON 1

KHON 2

Advertiser

Bigger license plates for mopeds are probably in the cards. But some are even calling for a mandatory helmet law, citing the Health Dept. statistic that more than 60% of all head injuries are linked to moped-related accidents.
    Yes - for everyone.
    75.00%
    Yes - for riders under the age of 18 only.
    10.00%
    No
    15.00%
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Mandatory helmets for moped riders?

A friend bought and gave me a helmet... my wife made it mandatory that I wear it.

So the helmet part is alright with me, I just hope that insurance doesn't come along with the regular motor vehicle licensing, if that gets passed.

I may just go back to bicycling... which I feel is the most dangerous means of transportation in Hawaii. But my work schedule makes riding the bus usually impossible.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

hi i do use a type of motorcycle helmet and i also use sunglasse's and i wear glove's and shoe's when it's wet and that has saved me many time's and my moped is stock and not modified so my friend's moped shop just has me to come and have a 6 month checkup and i pay of what he charges and then i thank him and i head for home.

Well thank's for your time=O)

Comment

I just had to shake my head when I saw a moped driver talking on a cellphone with one hand.

Comment

Coming from the ever-so-Liberal state of California , I'm used to seeing helmet laws. Double that if you're in the military. After seeing some of the accidents that were survived, crash victims would argue that the helmet was a significant factor in saving their lives.

But if the state doesn't have a law against it, and the rider doesn't want to wear it, he can prove himself to Darwin every day he rides for all I care.

If the rider's under 18 and they don't wear it, then parents be damned for not looking after their kids.

I just vote that the taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for his stupidity if he does decide to make a brain omelet on the asphalt.

Laws like that are like warning labels: they're written in blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Bigger license plates for mopeds are probably in the cards.
            I'm not seeing how this relates to safety, unless HPD officers are going blind and need bigger numbers to read. But the helmet thing is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              I just had to shake my head when I saw a moped driver talking on a cellphone with one hand.
              Ha! You think that's reckless?

Former UH volleyball star Tony Ching collided into a car with his moped,.... while carrying his dog.

Ching suffered a concussion, but eventually recovered after surgery.

His dog wasn't so lucky.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

After I got hit on Ala Moana, I wore a helmet. I was lucky that I wasn't more seriously injured. I am all for a mandatory helmet law.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                  After I got hit on Ala Moana, I wore a helmet. I was lucky that I wasn't more seriously injured. I am all for a mandatory helmet law.
                  That makes for a good point to all this --- YOU might be the safest driver/rider in the universe, but when some lolo smacks into you, not your fault at all, whaddya gonna do? Gotta protect your own brainpan against that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    That makes for a good point to all this --- YOU might be the safest driver/rider in the universe, but when some lolo smacks into you, not your fault at all, whaddya gonna do? Gotta protect your own brainpan against that.

Amen to that!

Here is a friendly reminder

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...t=BLUE+MUSTANG
                    flickr

An email from God:
                    To: People of Earth
                    Date: 9/04/2007
                    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

Does a football helmet protect just as good?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Does a football helmet protect just as good?
                        Unfortunately, no. Reinforcement is not in the same places.

Comment

Get your motor runnin'.

Comment

This is a repressive law, selectively discrimanatory.

Mandatory helmets would also protect drivers of cars and trucks! Drivers hit from the side often suffer severe brain trauma.
                            How about pedestrians? My brother-in-law would be alive today if he had a helmet on while crossing the street.
                            Bicyclists, skate borders, ... even escalator riders ./.. could benefit....

How about making it mandatory for legislators? Why not for EVERYONE!?

This is merely selective persecution.

Let's havesome statistics - costs and benefit analyses - comparison to things like surfing, mountain climbing, cars, and everything else.

Justify it! Or drop it.

K#
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

So would you wear a helmet if it were non discriminatory or would you fight that as well?

At least modern cars have more passive restraints. What kind of "Any" restraints does a moped driver have other than their hands? At least a car without airbags have a bigger area to absorb impacts and other absorbing devices than a moped.

A moped driver crashing at 10 MPH will suffer greater injuries than a driver or passenger of an automobile at the same speed. If you want to look at fairness, we do have seatbelt laws that affect all automobiles. We have absolutely nothing for mopeds! Where's the equality there?

Obviously you cannot put seatbelts on mopeds so the next best thing is helmets. Putting helmets in automobiles is not required because most modern cars have adequate rollover protection when used in conjuntion with seatbelts and air bags.

Older cars? Okay there's a valid point. But remember passage of that kind or requirement on older vehicles not equipped with safety devices will mean mandatory use of helmets for all vehicles not equipped with safety devices including motorcycles. Will you at that point wear a helmet? Because it's the law? Or should you wear one because it makes sense?
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X