Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mandatory helmets for moped riders?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    So would you wear a helmet if it were non discriminatory or would you fight that as well?
    (...)
    including motorcycles. Will you at that point wear a helmet? Because it's the law? Or should you wear one because it makes sense?
    No. I'd break the law and fight it in court.

In the '80s and in the '90s Hawai`i tried to pass helmet laws. It failed each time.

In addition to widespread opposition to the selective nature of the law (pedestrians crossing the street are more vulnerable)*, it was demonstrated that full helmets reduce visibility, and reduce sound detection, making it more difficult to detect nearby cars, increasing the chance of accidents.

* (Pedestrian fatalities average about 30 annually, opposed to an average of 20 motorcycle fatalities annually.)

It was also shown that while there is some small prevention of traumatic brain injury, there is an increase in quadriplegic paralysis due to an increase in neck injuries and no protection against concussive injury.

Currently, all riders under 17 y.o. (i.e., minors) are required to wear helmets on motorcycles and below 15 y.o. on bicycles. In addition, "all low-power cycles with an engine displacement greater than 50cc, brake horsepower greater than 2, or can attain speeds greater than 30 mph are covered by the motorcycle helmet law."... whatever that means.

Let those who ride decide.

K
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

hi,i also wear a helmet a type of motorcycle helmet and what you shared is true only i do find that it save's head injury since before when i first learned to ride it and didnt realize that wearing a helmet is good,i've had my share of fall's without a helmet and once i fell when this slow moving car cut in front of me and i fell due to slick road's and i didnt have a helmet and though not much happened to my head,i had a 3rd degree burn on my left foot and my temporary podiatrist took care of that for about a couple of week's and everything's back to normal so i thought to share this with everyone.

i wouldnt mind a helmet law since i do wear one only with wanting to regulate mopeds to be registered like motorcycle's,that's going a bit far.

Well thank's for your time=O)

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
        No. I'd break the law and fight it in court.

In the '80s and in the '90s Hawai`i tried to pass helmet laws. It failed each time.

In addition to widespread opposition to the selective nature of the law (pedestrians crossing the street are more vulnerable)*, it was demonstrated that full helmets reduce visibility, and reduce sound detection, making it more difficult to detect nearby cars, increasing the chance of accidents.

* (Pedestrian fatalities average about 30 annually, opposed to an average of 20 motorcycle fatalities annually.)

It was also shown that while there is some small prevention of traumatic brain injury, there is an increase in quadriplegic paralysis due to an increase in neck injuries and no protection against concussive injury.

Currently, all riders under 17 y.o. (i.e., minors) are required to wear helmets on motorcycles and below 15 y.o. on bicycles. In addition, "all low-power cycles with an engine displacement greater than 50cc, brake horsepower greater than 2, or can attain speeds greater than 30 mph are covered by the motorcycle helmet law."... whatever that means.

Let those who ride decide.

K
        Well it seems regardless of the law you will decide anyway and that's your choice.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Even Pee Wee Herman wore a helmet when he rode out of the playhouse.
          Aaaaaaaargh!

Comment

Working...
          X