• American Dollar Coins

This poll/thread is about the American Dollar Coins, to include:
    Old silver dollars,
    Old "Ike" dollar coins,
    Susan B. Anthony dollar coins,
    Sakajawea gold-color dollar coins,
    Presedential dollar series,
    and commerative issues.

You may choose as many answers as apply to you. (more than one poll answer allowed!)
    (Number one (#1) can also mean you just don't like them and avoid them).

Mostly I am interested in currently circulating dollar coins, particularly the new gold-colored dollar coins, but all is fair game.

Have at it!
    I don't like nor do I use dollar coins.
    7.14%
    I like them, and use them often.
    7.14%
    Money is money, no big deal.
    14.29%
    I use $1 coins whenever I can.
    7.14%
    I think $1 coins are better than paper $1.
    7.14%
    I prefer Paper $1 over $1 coins.
    21.43%
    I don't spend them, I KEEP (hoard) them!
    14.29%
    I use them as much as possible.
    7.14%
    I go to the Bank (Bank of Hawaii?) to buy rolls!
    7.14%
    What dollar coins? US has dollar coins???
    7.14%
    Last edited by Kaonohi; January 30, 2010, 08:28 PM. Reason: Informing of multiple choice...., clarify first answer
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: American Dollar Coins

I tend to hoard coins I rarely see, but if it is in my pocket at the right time off it goes! I recently found a Sacajawea dollar on my dresser at home, and it was no longer gold...more of a dirty bronze color after all the oceanfront air has hit it. I was kinda sad to see that. I know pennies go dark, but I had not seen Sacajawea do that.

When I give a dollar coin, I usually have to point it out to the cashier to clarify that yes, it is worth a dollar.

Comment

I really do not like dollar coins. They're heavy and clunky and a huge pain. Stores don't care for them either, and banks don't like them because they can't send them off to the Fed Reserve until they have enough to make a roll, so they just sit there in the drawer forever. Bleh. I wish vending machines took them instead of just giving them as change (USPS, I'm looking at you!)

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
        When I give a dollar coin, I usually have to point it out to the cashier to clarify that yes, it is worth a dollar.
        As with any 'new' thing, the educated must teach the uneducated.

I find that people who receive them as TIPS express wonder and amusement, in general. I would imagine this would not apply to pole dancers - at present - until they start learning to give change... oh, never mind....

I give them as tips to Commisary packers (who work for tips only), bartenders, etc. anywhere where a dollar or two is expected as a tip I am met with... what's that... 'shock and awe.' "Ohhhh, how neat! What's this??" 'Just a dollar coin.' "Yeah, but it's beautiful!"

The presidents get less exclaim than the Sackies.

I find it easier to reach in and grab five almost-quarter-size coins to cover a fiver than to: take out my wallet; search through bills for fives and ones; sort out the right numbers, etc.

I've been aware of the effects of inflation for a LONG time, and I know that what was a dollar in 2000 was a dime in 1950.

Based on that, our smallest coin should be a quarter, and we should have $5 coins NOW! But, preference and acceptance overrule.

K$
        Last edited by Kaonohi; January 30, 2010, 09:37 PM. Reason: Schpellpink! Dumpkoph.
        ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          I really do not like dollar coins. They're heavy and clunky and a huge pain. Stores don't care for them either, and banks don't like them because they can't send them off to the Fed Reserve until they have enough to make a roll, so they just sit there in the drawer forever. Bleh. I wish vending machines took them instead of just giving them as change (USPS, I'm looking at you!)
          Wow, yes, I wish more vending machines took them. Some few do.
          Banks and stores should just give them back out as change!!!! (DUH!)
          ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
            Bleh. I wish vending machines took them instead of just giving them as change (USPS, I'm looking at you!)
            That shouldn't be a problem anymore, now that the USPS is phasing out postage stamp vending machines.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I hoard them.

But maybe another question to consider is: do you like half dollar coins?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                ... the USPS is phasing out postage stamp vending machines.
                I did not realize that; thanks, FM. The AFK goes to the Post Office far more often than I do.

Comment

A correction to poll # 9:
                  The "First Hawaiian Bank" (rainbow logo) stocks rolls of dollar coins for distribution, not the "Bank of Hawaii."
                  My stupid mistake (mea culpa, mea maxima culpa).
                  ~ ~

Comment

Working...
                  X