Mini flash mob, Hawaiian style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini flash mob, Hawaiian style!

Local ad agency, Milici Valenti Ng Pack, came up with an interesting advertising concept for their client, McDonald's Hawaii and its Frappes. See it here. HT's Turtlegirl is a part of it. I won't point her out. She can do that if she wants the notoriety! HT's Neenz is credited with the video. And, yes, I did have something to do with it...behind the scenes! The name of the advertiser had to be kept secret thruout pre-production so as not to alert the competitors!

McDonald's employees and some of the ad agency folks mingled with the crowd to pass out coupons for free frappes.

TG, what was the First Friday freeze like? I imagine it was much more crowded than the downtown lunch hour freeze on Thursday. It was so interesting observing the reactions of the pedestrians. Some were truly confused. There were definitely some YouTube moments! Any interesting experiences you can tell us about?

Re: Mini flash mob, Hawaiian style!

Awesome!! Congrats to ALL!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      HT's Turtlegirl is a part of it. I won't point her out.
      I recognize her! The cute one, right?
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

COOL! (so to speak . . .

Comment

HT's Neenz is credited with the video.
          Neenz has been tweeting about it for a couple days; I suggested that, had he not been tied up with "Lost" premiere events, pzarquon shoulda been part, as I believe he loves that beverage.

Comment

It was so interesting observing the reactions of the pedestrians. Some were truly confused.

Nice to Flash Mob Moments happening back home. The expressions the people passing by thinking....ahhhhh these people gone lo lo oh what?!? The traditional Flash Mobs I have seen are more upbeat and usually involve some form of music. I got introduced to the world of Flash Mobs featured in a documentary called "24 Hours on Craigslist" (yeah Craigslist) and this flash mob took place in SF at a Hotel (forget which one) and they convereged in the lobby and did various commands and those not involved are lookin around going what the?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
              [...]The traditional Flash Mobs I have seen are more upbeat and usually involve some form of music.[...]
              I agree. A classic flash mob performance happened during Oprah's 1st show of this season.

What we did for McDonalds is akin to Improv Everywhere. I don't know that there's a recognizable event name for this type of performance, tho'. We were referring to it as the "freeze"! Then metromix.com referred to it as a flash mob!
              Originally posted by matapule View Post
              I recognize her! The cute one, right?
              There were a couple of cute ones! TG was one of 'em!

Comment

Cool! (no pun intended!)
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Very nice ! I would like to see them do the "Do-Re-Mi" dance next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBepgH00GM

Comment

Hmmm...no comments from TG. Maybe she didn't hear the cue to unfreeze and is still frozen somewhere in Chinatown!

UNFREEZE, TURTLEGIRL!

Comment

Hahahaha, I'm unfrozen! That job was a ton of fun!! We had a really awesome group of performers Chinatown was very crowded, which made for more fun, especially because of the new year celebration (I think my hearing has finally come back - so many firecrackers!)

People's reactions to us were amazing! Some folks tried to make us laugh, or were like "ha, caught you blinking!" (well, duh!), Lots of people took pictures with us, the tourists loved us, and I noticed in the video that even one of the cops came out for a photo op! I think we were a total hit!!

Thanks to Neenz for the pictures and video!
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

This wasn't a "flash mob," in the traditional sense, since it was obviously meticulously organized (flash mobs are notoriously impromptu, hence "flash") and also had a single commercial intent (textbook examples are done "just because," not to sell anything).

But it was definitely a clever marketing stunt! MVNP has some fun thinkers on staff. Is there also a connection to the Honolulu Advertiser's Metromix? The campaign was "covered" there, but McDonald's is also a sponsor of the site. Frappes are everywhere! I indulged in more than my share thanks to Neenz's fun PR work.

Of course, the weather's been so cool lately, seeing frozen people downtown might've been interpreted in different ways. If they do this again in the summer, though, I'm sure those sweet, sweet drinks will sell well!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          [...]MVNP has some fun thinkers on staff. [...]
                          Yep...young, hip and fun! Young enough that even they call me Tutu Sue! I love working with them. When these out of the box campaigns are conceptualized, the next hurdle is to sell the advertiser on the idea. So kudos to both MVNP for the idea...AND McDonalds Hawaii for it's approval!

I worked with this same MVNP creative team a few years ago when they took hotel advertising to a completely different level...10 min. (on average) mini movies where the plots take place on various Sheraton/Starwood hotel properties...a new movie for each property. DVDs were sent to travel professionals and each movie was uploaded to YouTube. I'm sure there were other distribution points but those are the 2 I can recall at the moment!

Comment

"Yep...young, hip and fun!..." If that means sophomoric, that it is.
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

That was totally cool!
                              Expect me when you see me.....

Comment

Working...
                              X